Is Pilonidal Cyst surgery worth it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had this problem for 30 years and have always been able to get it to drain either on my own or by a doctor. I am now 48 and it has been a big problem the last year. Any feedback from those who have had surgery?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had an operation on mine 3 times and comes back a few years later. I was in hospital last week because it's come back only this time it's just called a sinus ? Where I've had surgery on the scar line another two popped up. So it looks like surgery is only a part time solution.

• Posted

Thanks Jason what a miserable thing to deal with it has been a problem for 30 years!
  • Posted

No, absolutely not. All it does is build up scar tissue,and will come back anyway. You have been dealing for many years,so don't do surgery.

• Posted

Thanks Kimberly this is such a miserable thing. I have lived with it so long and has ruined many days.
  • Posted

How do yours come back? Do they appear as a spot or do you get the open hole? Just that the last time I was with the doc I was told its a sinus ?
    • Posted

The area gets red and sore for a day or two then fills up with junk. I can usually get it to drain by taking hot baths and applying pressure it then continued to drain a little for a few days
    • Posted

I don't like surgery but at least it goes away for a few years after . . . This time it looks as though I have a pilonidal sinus and a sinus beside it both have pus leaking sad so it looKS like I have to suffer and hope it goes away or go for surgery next month which I don't want because the last time I was in hospital for 4 weeks now I have a job and can't afford to take time off

• Posted

OK I was going to say no American insurance company would let u stay 4 weeks in the hospital
    • Posted

Ha no way ? They wouldn't let me leave because I had a vac dressing .... to take that out of the hospital it would of cost me 3000 a week to hire it crazy

• Posted

When I have read up on them it's says obese people and people that sit all day get them but I am an active 27 yr I am a Health care assistant and I am on my feet 10+ hours a day never time for sitting.

• Posted

That's right,when you feel it filling up,put hot wash cloths,or heat. My son even puts a heating pad on it. He pushes on it when it's ready, then he ask me (mom) to get all the junk out. Instant relief. I had him put Ichthamol ointment on it with a band aid,for a couple of days to make sure all the stuff is out. This ointment is so great. It's a drawing salve. You can put this on when it starts to bother you, Keep puting it on,day,and night. This ointment has been around for ever. I used it alot growing up. It's like a black tar. Good stuff. Hope this info helps. You can get this ointment at any drug store.

• Posted

Since mine started oozing months ago it's been on going every day I have some ointment I got still can't remember the name of it ha . . But now after antibiotics and creams and hot towels I am really considering having yet another operation.. the push has got that bad it's now irritating the skin around the area. It's not like a spot that I had at the start but rather a nasty coloured hole. . . I can't explain how annoying and stressful this makes me

• Posted

Hey jason,sorry that you suffer with this nasty cyst. After the fourth time my son's cyst on his tail bone filled up, he now has the hole that you talked about. Not just  Pilonidal cyst get that, but every cyst will eventually from it being popped open. I think that's a good thing because now it has an opening, and that is where it will drain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.