Is Pilonidal Cyst surgery worth it?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had this problem for 30 years and have always been able to get it to drain either on my own or by a doctor. I am now 48 and it has been a big problem the last year. Any feedback from those who have had surgery?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HiĀ 

How do you drain it yourself? does it not leave you with a hole/cavity that needs packing?

I have had this problem since 2011, previous to 2014 it came once a year. In 2014 i had a operation with stiches taken out after 10 days. This year it has appeared 5 times in 8 months.

Did you under go operations before? Did you do any prevention techniques for it not to bother you for 18 years?

Thanks and hope you get have been able to get a response.

• Posted

Hi Seth

Mine seems to form an opening when it becomes inflamed it takes a couple of days of misery but then I can apply pressure on it after several hot baths and it for lack of a better term explodes never had an operation but considering since mine has been bad the last few years

• Posted

I am always amazed at how fast a cyst will close. With my sons pilonidal cyst, after we completly drain everything ,it's an empty pocket,and closes right up. No matter how many sugery's you have, it will come back,and you will make it more difficult to take care of because of scar tissue. He had it fill up 4 times in a row,and we must have done a good job with it, because he hasn't had a problem for about 4 months. 

• Posted

Hi, I have the same problem as you. Ive had it for about 4 years and its now at the stage where i forget about it for a while, and then i notice the area has got painful again. within a day of me realising this - its ready to be drained. Same as you, hot baths etc and all the disgusting stuff will come out. It feels immediately better and generally closes up again within a couple of days. What I was wondering was, have you ever been told that leaving it there whilst infected and not having surgery could cause other health problems? Based on everything Ive read online, they tend to come back after surgery anyway and recovery seems to be a nightmare, so i'd rather stay clear and continue to deal with the issue myself. I was just worried that having your body continuously fight an infection might cause cellulitis or sepsis or something? which is obviously not a risk worth taking. Had any info to this effect? Would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

C

• Posted

I currently got two back to back in less than 2 weeks. I work as a security officer who constantly has to be on my feet for 8 hours. Not to mention, I am a mom of two active boys 3 years old and 1 years old. I believe my uniform may be causing my abscess issue. I never had pilonidal cyst/abscess until I started this job.
  • Posted

hello has anyone had the karydakis procedure? I have 3 small cysts that from time to time tends to ooze out if i ride the bicycle, or sit on a hard floor.

i have been reading about the karydakis procedure, that is what the doctor suggested to solved this issue.

but i was reading that now there are a few other options like this article states https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7415633/ . Does anyone suggest any other course of action?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.