Is preparation for a colonoscopy better now than 20 years ago?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had to have a colonoscopy 20 some years ago and I swore I'd never do it again but I'm thinking I might need to because my stomach has been really messed up lately, however, it might be do to several new meds that I am on so I really don't want to have to do it if I don't have to. So, I was just wondering if the prep has improved. Is the liquid laxative you have to drink taste any better? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I need one too. Maybe you could have an endoscopy at the same time if you are having stomach problems.
    • Posted

I'm not sure what that is but if I go to my doctor I'll be sure to bring it up, thanks!

• Posted

Hiya, I've had one done a couple of months ago and I mixed the prep with diluted orange and i couldn't taste anything, so no need to worry smile 

• Posted

Thank you, that actually makes me feel better.
  • Posted

I found it disgusting but better to have it chilled
    • Posted

I've heard that before so I'll keep it mind, thanks for the tip!

• Posted

An endoscopy is the camera down your throat to check your stomach, more appropriate for you if you say your stomach is causing you the most problems. I think there are a few preparation laxative from what I remember, I had Picolax which had an orange flavour and didn't taste too bad at all, although the suggestion of making it and chilling it before hand is very wise, it's not too pleasant warm.

• Posted

Yes, better to have both at once and get it over with.
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm not too sure about having something go down my throat like that but I'll see what my doctor says.

• Posted

Yeah, if I have to do it then I might as well.
    • Posted

I had both done years ago but they gave me twilight meds. I don’t remember anything.
    • Posted

That would definitely be a good thing.
    • Posted

I had a combined colonoscopy and endoscopy and I was out of it during the whole procedure. The doctor who performed my last colonoscopy a few months ago told me they tend to administer more sedative and pain relief if you have a combined procedure, hence why you are more likely to totally out of it for the whole time.

Unfortunately an endoscopy is the only way to be able to look at your stomach and get accurate results, and if you feel your stomach is the main issue, perhaps it’s best to get it looked at. My advice, go for the combined scopes and be knocked out with sedative for the duration of the whole procedure.

• Posted

Ask about Prepopik. Unlike some colonoscopy preps that require you to drink 64 liters or even a gallon of prep solution, prepopik allows you to prep with 10 oz. of prep solution. It's important to have a clear colon for the proceedure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.