Is preparation for a colonoscopy better now than 20 years ago?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had to have a colonoscopy 20 some years ago and I swore I'd never do it again but I'm thinking I might need to because my stomach has been really messed up lately, however, it might be do to several new meds that I am on so I really don't want to have to do it if I don't have to. So, I was just wondering if the prep has improved. Is the liquid laxative you have to drink taste any better? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The three bottles of  laxative they gave me to drink  I only got one down and the laxative pill. Three days before I only ate only soft  bland food nothing to
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday it involved a low residue diet for 3 days and fasting the day before I had to take 2 lots of 5 senna tablets while on low residue diet then 2 sachets of of Citramag which is only mixed with 200ml of water strong lemon flavour I just sucked it quickly with a straw and had a drink of apple juice after it.I also had lots of clear fluids to drink .Iwent to hospital for 10.20 next morning still having watery motions.I took the sedation and painkillers and they also gave me gas and air.The procedure was a bit uncomfortable to begin with but I used gas and air it then settled to nothing and there was another bit of discomfort at the end.I was lucky and everything was normal which was a great relief.I would say it was not as bad as I was expecting it to be take the sedation.
  • Posted

I had to drink litres of the prep for me it was a nightmare I also drank it through a straw . Each consultant prescribe different preps . Talk it over with them .. defo with the sedation. Ask about the virtual colonoscopy? It's a so much easier

• Posted

Yes my friend had prep that was litres of fluid,I was pleasantly surprised that I only had 2 sachets with 200ml water it certainly made my experience better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.