Is remeron more sedating under 7.5?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I can;t seem to get a good answer for this.  Hope you can help.  I am on 6.7mg of remeron a night for insomnia but this stuff is making me a complete zombie and dizzy, awful feeling.  I am also in Benzo W/D so I can;t taper yet.  Anyway is the 6.7 more sedating since it is a lower dose than 7.5?  Or maybe should I go back to 7.5?  I just want to be the most comfortable I can be while being stuck on this stuff fo rnow.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am on 7.5 and have been for over a month. I am suppose to go up tonight. I forget the dosage but I will let you know. I started at a higher dose and was a zombie. Maybe it is different for everyone. ????
    • Posted

I have only taken 15 mg mirtazapine. It helps me sleep, but although I have some trouble waking up I am fine once I get up. I had heard thay the lower the dose the more the sedative effect. You should change doctor's. You deserve a doctor who cares about your condition and takes your health seriously. People can react differently to meds. Do you have free access to health care where you live? You really should ser another doctor. This site is a wonderful for moral support and input from others who understand what you are experiencing. Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi, I am moving across the country in a month, once I get new insurance I will have a new doctor.  Until then I am going to stick it out on what I am on.
  • Posted

Yes the lower the dose the more sedating. My psychiatrist gave me Gabapentin. It's supposed to help with withdrawals, pain, cunvolsions, insomnia, and anxiety. Why don't you talk to your dr and ask if Gabapentin is right for you. ( I sound like a pill commercial lol).

• Posted

Almost forgot I took mirtazapine for 6 months and stopped on accident so I went into mirtazapine withdrawals becareful my friend.
    • Posted

Gabapentin didn't sit well with me... it makes me so tired, I wish I used that for my insomnia instead.  But as an everyday thing it just puts me down for the count.

• Posted

YES definately more sedating, I would think more so with the Benzo added in.  Rule of thumb is to taper one at a time though right?  Is that your plan.  

My experience when tapering (now at 1.8 mg ugh ....) was that I noticed more sedation until about 2.5 mg and now it more or less stays the same.  I have less of a sleep aid now, I have been following the "no more than 10% every 4 weeks plan).  Hope this helps.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

I am off benzos now for 2 momths. But looks like I have to wait longer to taper the MIrtazapine.
    • Posted

Im wondering if I shuld go back up to my original 7.5 which might be touch less sedating that the 6.7
  • Posted

I'm not a doc so I always suggest to check with ur doc. mirt/Remer on is suppose to be more sedating at lower doses. but I know this at 15MG nd 30-45mg nd is suppose to be more effective for depression nd anxiety at the higher doses. No more than 45 MG tho. I take 2 MG of klonopin and 10 MG of ambien as needed. I also personally would only change one med at a time cuz then you don't know what is coming from what. benzo withdrawal is not only very difficult you can have a seizure depending on dose how long you have been taking it nd what kind if not tapered. mirt/rem I read to taper 10 % every 2-3 wks nd longer if needed. it does come in liquid form or dissolve the tablet in a small amount of water like a cap on nyquil cuz it will have measurements or a dropper for infants will have measurements. nd I would stay at the dose of the benzo you were on as this can help with the taper of mirt. you could b experiencing withdrawal symptoms from both cuz benzo withdrawal will also cause those symptoms and I read that with mirt withdrawal symptoms nd side effects can mimic each other again I'm not a doc. I would go back to the doses you were at with both meds. give ur body and mind a chance to level of nd then taper down off mirt 1st at a very slow rate nd then when you get to none at all for a few wks if your doing OK then taper very slowly on the benzo. benzo withdrawal can cause dizziness not being able to think fatigue irritability nausea nd the possibility of seizures if not done correctly. I'm not so sure it is coming from that much of a dose difference with the mirt. nd certainly it can't hurt u to go back to the 7.5 mg. let me know if you have any other questions. moma s

• Posted

As I stated in my question I am in Benzo withdrawl so I am not on benzos anymore... it has been 2 months since my last dose.
    • Posted

HI lamsickofthis, I'm off 5 months clonazepam and steel in bad shape with withraw. Clonazepam wiThraw can last for 1-2 years even 3 for some. I know is not a best news what you want to hear. I hope for you it will be shorter. I'm on remeron 3.8 mg . Tapering very very slow. Only 5% every 4 weeks. I'm on BenzoBuddies forum and they recommend to stop Benzo first than slowly come off remeron. My suggestion don't move enywhere now. Stay where you are your body has to stabilize. I have terrible burning headache to for 10 months now and slowly is getting better, so it take time. Long time to recover from benzo. Hugs

• Posted

I was only on benzos for 3 months so hopefully it wont take as long... Sorry to hear about your issues.  Hope it keeps getting better.  I am going to stick on the remeron for a while at my dose and not taper yet.  It is discouraging to say the least.  BUt I have alot going on as well and tapering is not going to work now...I have a move accoss the country to be near family and bettee health care..... although stressful I am not doing much of the work.  Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

The only time I stopped everything cold turkey was when I didn't have insurance nd it was pure hell. I remember feeling like I could hear people talk but couldn't comprehend anything. it was the scariest feeling. I didn't know if would go back 2 normal. I had severe dizziness nd ringing in my ears nd I didn't think my intestines would ever straighten out. diarrhea nd nausea but that with effector nd klonopin nd ambien. i took like 4 months so I commend you for staying strong. Is it being tired that you want to stop your meds. it sounds like what I went through with benzo withdrawal. mirt is different from other mess in the fact the lower the dose the more sedating.The higher the dose the less sedating after you level off. most mess are the opposite but everyone is different. Also side effects mimic withdrawals. Just try nd go up for a few weeks nd see how you feel. I can tell you sometimes I run myself short on klonopin cuz if I take a nap even tho I'm tired I need it to fall asleep or if I can't sleep nd I get desperate I take more klonopin cuz it stops my mind from racing better than mirt. nd if I go 2-3 days without klon I have a major meltdown from withdrawal as I have been on it for so many years. I didn't do well with Prozac Paxil Celexa Cymbalta Lexapro. I can keep going down the list. so I would go up on the mirt until the benzo withdrawal is over or go back on a small dose of benzoyl so you're not shocking your body nd brain so bad at once. Idk if you ever tried a mood stabalizer. Lamictal seemed to have the least side effects nd you titrate up slowly so you can figure out what dose is best but yes mirt/remeron is suppose to be more sedating the lower the dose. I was a clinical research tech nd we did studies on it nd also my psychiatrist tried it with me for weight nd insomnia. Also I have read it on many sites. But it also sounds like benzo withdrawal cut I've experienced those symptoms with klon. are you able to talk to a psychiatrist a family doc an APRN all can oversee you meds. why suffer so bad. was it worse when you took the meds. you don't have to answer. I feel bad 4 your suffering nd will try to help. Some things I learned by taking and stopping and I learn a lot by reading online. moma s I will also pray for things to get better 4 u.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.