Is scoliosis my fault? Did I worsen or cause it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am 21 years old and I want to share this story. Somehow I started to get huge anxiety in sports lessons in school and from then it became worse. I changed school due to bad grades and in that new school I had no friends and HUGE anxiety. It was so bad that my mouth was always dry and I couldn't eat anything. You know poor vision, eye strain, underweight and health problems. I was there from 8th to 10th class and I at least finished this school. Now I'm in the next school and things are well... they are better for sure and much less annoying. Now I can keep my grades good. Soon I will finish this school and go studying.

So during that time I was in 8th to 10th grade in that school I got an underweight of only 55 kg as a male from 16 to 19 years old. That is very low, I think. Then I got sent to a mental hospital and after half a year or so they diagnosed me with psychosis, indifferent schizophrenia and asperger. Not sure if all of that is true but I definitely have an anxiety disorder and little ocd. I don't care about mental illness, I can take it as long as it doesn't affect my health. As I said, I am now in a better school and I don't feel much pain.

The thing that bothers me though... At 19 years they discovered a 20° S curve scoliosis. I think he said it was 20° on top and 15° on the bottom part of the spine. Do you think that underweight had something to do with this? Or maybe it was my poor nutrition? Maybe a lack of calcium or minerals? I asked my mother about it and she said she gave me these high calorie drinks and there should have been calcium as well. She also said that we went to the doctor to try to check for physical illnesses but they couldn't find anything. We also did blood tests and she said my nutrition was alright. At least that's what I think how it is... I'm not sure.

So as you can tell I have ocd and anxiety and so on and I am HEAVILY bothered by this. Since I got diagnosed with scoliosis I want to know if it is my fault or not. Did I worsen my health so bad to get a 20° S curve scoliosis? Did I do something wrong? Is it all my fault? Thinking back I couldn't have eaten in school and anxiety was bad. But somehow I started feeling the same way when I got home so I stopped eating as well. It was ALL anxiety in school and ALL rage and anger at home. But I think I could have got myself up to eat something at home so I wouldn't be completely malnourished. But I didn't... sad

Now at 21 years my weight is good. I am taking olanzapin and sertralin. But thinking back do you believe that if I had had normal weight and good nutrition, would I have no scoliosis right now or only a little one? I mean it all happened when I was in puberty and that's when the body grows. So I screwed everything up? I didn't get enough nutrition and weight or body fat to grow a straight spine? Is this all my fault? It makes me feel horrible and if I knew that it was my fault once they discover the cause for scoliosis then I would be destroyed. Only thinking that it's my fault makes me BLOOD BOIL! I should have killed them all in that school or went to a different school, joke.

I am working out now and I want to become strong and muscular. But that "scoliosis fault/guilt" thing really hinders me on giving my best. I think I look bad in the mirror and it shatters my hopes of achieving the best results... do you know what I mean? I mean I have scoliosis and I look weird in the mirror even though it's only 20° but still.. it looks a little "wrong". I wish I had a straight spine and no scoliosis.

But if I knew that it was definitely NOT my fault then I would be heavily relieved! So now that I shared my story with you, can you help me finally solve this issue I have and move on? I already asked my orthopaedic, a chiropractor and my doctor about it and they all said the same: they do not know the cause for scoliosis and they don't know if I worsened it or if it's my fault. So I'm asking you. Can you just enlighten me with your knowledge about scoliosis or research it. What do you think? Is scoliosis my fault due to poor nutrition or underweight or something else? As I remember then before that happened I was playing video games for like 8 hours a day (not every) while sitting weirdly uneven at the pc desk. So I had poor posture as well. But I've heard that the more weight you have, the harder scoliosis hits you but could it be that underweight might be a cause for scoliosis because the bones are easily formable? I don't know...

Please tell me if scoliosis is my fault or not. I want to give MY BEST in working out and I want this mental problem that I have to disappear! Did I worsen my scoliosis? Did I worsen my health so bad to the point of getting a 20° S curve scoliosis? Could I have prevented all of it? Is it my fault? Did I cause it? I want to know! Please explain your answer with a reasonable assumption. I want to hear your opinions on this! Did I do something wrong? Or maybe it was when I took that olanzapin pill that makes you hungry and I remember I gained like 10 kg in one month one time in the mental hospital... Whatever it is, give me the cause! I just can't believe that it is truly 100% genetic. At least not in my case... or is it? Things like this happen because of a cause! Don't they? So by judging my story what do you think of my scoliosis? Do you think I am the guilty one here? Did I worsen it or cause it? Is it entirely my fault because of the things I mentioned?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I would appreciate many honest comments and answers from you guys! This is really important to me. It has been bugging me for 2 years now.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was looking for an old message board and google drove me here.

But I do have experience in that. So first of all - I reckon you still will have this intrusive thought of being at fault for scoliosis or if not then it would move to new topic. Yeah, I have similar type of fun with bipolar associated psychosis mixing with neurosis and delusions.

You probably are googling everything else and since internet is very unreliable - you did get a good answer here. It is genetic but still vastly unknown territory. I recall the sentiment of incorrect sitting, walking or exercising causing it but the truth is ... it works same as without spine defects. Your eating associated disorders, sports and school related stress just probably pushed it to be visible more but it might be less visible later on. Just do not force it as hospitals put me under any physical / stretching therapy alongside with braces there are and ... it did precisely nothing.

Spines are flexible (ahem, again, leave it alone as it is fine as it is), same as our bodies. There is not much research on that in adults but mine still changes at times and can be less or more visible or go this or that way while my organs obey and follow. Essentially, I have 90 degree kyphoscoliosis where the risk was meant to be lungs, heart and others not having space but they accommodated (however it is worth doing routine checks).

Your post mentions bone issues and well loads of food related ones which seem to be more psychological but few questions:

1) How were you with food as a baby? Did you tolerate diary well? Did it change when a toddler?

2) Did you have brittle bones as a kid? Anyone with osteoporosis as a relative? How were muscles? When did you start walking?

3) Do you have any eye problems? Astigmatism?

4) Ever had loads of infections as a kid and ear infections?

I ask as we possibly had same problems as food stood out to me since never liked it even as a baby and despite having ostheoporosis, I never did handle diary. I also get hungry in rare cases but established timed routine of eating deadlines (my brain is addictive so not eating made me feel powerful in the past and you probably know that and your thought pattern goes similar way), however my family had to stage elaborate plays to get me eat even a little and that got spat out (okay, I was 1 - 4 and that was amusing).

In summary, the 'you caused' it research is old and forgotten. At the moment they are working on genetic triggers but even with medicine advancing that not much is known. Best you can do is contact your GP for referral to gene department anywhere locally to you. Might not find anything but worth a shot.

Your other issues are also pressing but yeah ... not causing your spine to rebel or rebel even more. You are at an age when bones still did not stop growing but soon will - essentially your spine still will change but it will follow encoded pattern you cannot affect. I had remotely straight back as a kid which was getting worse as a teen and worn braces buuuut yes - done nothing nor did diets.

However, the only thing to observe is pressure to internal organs but ... that is still old concept as thus far people done well.

You should turn off internet for few days as surely you will obsess about topic and then move on to diets and therapies and then to something completely else. Noticed my OCD increased with having a mobile with wifi on hand so can follow any thought I have and beat it to death. Essentially - somehow give your brain a bit of a holiday which is hard as hell plus malnutrition with mental issues is a battle from two sides as any system you work on might lead to addictive food control same as controlling lack of it. But eh, brains generally suck.

(And your school most likely caused you to worry about spine, food, world and whatever else)

Your spine will be fine. If you do not start suffocating or your heart does not pop then you will be ok.

• Posted

Yes, so you say that not much is known yet about the causes of scoliosis and that they're searching for genetic causes. I still want to hear margaret's answer too. So should I stop feeling guilty and obsessing over this? I will probably only stop when someone tells me exactly why I did not cause or worsen my scoliosis. So is it REALLY not my fault? Did I really not worsen or cause my scoliosis? :S

This is really important to me to know it... because I told someone I had scoliosis once in school and he asked if I was always sitting incorrectly. And I answered I was sitting incorrectly in the past. That plus the underweight and poor nutrition - did it cause or worsen my scoliosis?

• Posted

Sorry my last post didn't work! But yes, I agree completely with Sig, that you need to let yourself off the hook for this one! We can't help developing scoliosis any more than we can help developing blue or brown eyes. My dad had it, I and all my sisters do also. My brother does not, which to me is pretty strong evidence that it was passed down on my dad's x chromosome, since my brother is the only one who got a y chromosome from our dad.

You probably sit funny because of the scoliosis. As your body develops a curve, you naturally find ways to compensate. I have one leg that is much shorter than the other, because the scoliosis pulled one hip up. So, when I'm standing I usually bend the longer leg, and when I'm walking I swing it out a little bit, which makes it look like I'm limping. But I don't for one second think that these things caused my scoliosis, instead, they are a result of how I adapted to my body's differences.

One thing I've posted a lot about on these pages is how Bikram yoga changed my life. When I was a child I had surgery on my upper spine, but the years spent living with a short leg caused my tailbone to curve. I was crippled with pain, could barely walk, and to top it off I was suffering from clinical anxiety and depression. The yoga not only took away the physical pain, but it helped me to calm down and just be nicer to myself. I highly recommend it!

• Posted

Okay people, you answered all my questions. Thank you all and I hope you will have less pain from your scoliosis. Good luck!
  • Posted

You're either born with it or it happens when you're an adolescent possibly due to a growth spurt, but no one really knows for sure. That's why they call it "idiopathic" scoliosis that means the cause is unknown. Don't blame yourself you didn't take good care of yourself but that didn't cause the scoiosis. It's not your fault. Please don't feel guilty. At 12 I had an s-curve one was 54 degrees one was around 40ish they tried braces to slow it down while i was still growing it doesn't correct it but can help stop from getting worse. I had to have surgery at 15 because when my lungs inflated it hit my spine and we saw the surgeon the next day and he scheduled surgery right away. They attached rods with screws and straightened it as best they could without breaking my spine. Before surgery I was so deformed I couldn't stand to even look in the mirror. I was hideous and embarrassed lost all confidence and self esteem. It caused depression and anxiety so bad I'd fake being sick so I didn't have to go to school and be gawked at even by kids I thought were my friends. The first 5 yrs after my surgery I had no pain and could do everything anyone else could do then suddenly was in pain all the time but if I hadn't done it it would've killed me it was very progressive. Hope this helped. If you have wanna ask me anything I'd be glad to answer

the best i can. They do say it can be genetic but it skips a generation. Like my grandma had it with kyphosis or hunchbackn my mom and dad don't have it but I do but my 15 yr old son doesn't have it but theres a chance his child (when he's grown and married) could develope it. Btw if it gets really bad you may qualify for disability. I'm on disability for about 9 yrs. Don't let it get you down and don't beat urself up about it. Please take care of yourself. Best of luck to you my friend. Keep your chin up it could be worse.

• Posted

So in summary: You're all saying that it isn't my fault and that I did nothing wrong and I should stop feeling guilty about it? I really did not worsen or cause my scoliosis by having had underweight and poor nutrition or by sitting unevenly and having had bad posture all during puberty? I did really nothing to cause or worsen my scoliosis and it is probably genetic and developed all by itself. There is nothing I could have done better to stop it and regardless I would have gotten a 20° S curve scoliosis anyways. Can you say this to me if you really mean it? Is all of this true?

Please answer and I will be happy. smile

• Posted

Yes you should let it go. Sitting funny would at most probably just cause pain and discomfort.
  • Posted

I'm sorry for bothering you so much but my ocd can be annoying and I really want this support and information. I hope it's okay...

• Posted

You didn't do anything wrong and even if you could travel back in time there is absolutely nothing you could have done to prevent the curve. You were probably sitting unevenly because of the curve, you just didn't know it at that point. Also, gaining weight rapidly wouldn't cause a scoliotic curve as you are not growing taller, you are putting on weight. The curve you had is probably genetic and only showed during adolescence as that is the period when you grow the most. 

• Posted

Okay, thank you for this information. If anyone else wants to say some more, do it.
  • Posted

If I ever need more answers or help, I'll come back here! ^^

Thank you guys for everything, for your support and so on! wink

• Posted

You reminded me of a 90s trend actually as my school was into those position correcting classes. Same school either had too low or too tall desks and our bags weighted 10kg ... with half of things we needed to carry. Read a follow up report quite recently and those classes caused people to get chronic back pain.

Essentially, we all develop differently and no point in making default routes in this case - just look at spinal fusion - for some it does grand while some others would live in misery (or it blends as written by sgreen above). The use of back braces also had varied effects.

Same goes with genes - mine are a yet uncovered EDS subtype and people in my family have traces such as kidney, eye and joint issues but only me and grandma got worst of it - we both had osteoporosis since start but she had no hypermobility and spine issues while I got full package.

That is why I asked about your eyes and whatnot as could be same undetected gene. Will update if they find anything as Glasgow Genetic Clinic is trying new methods.

There is no point in obsessing over it and I get that brains love to dissect every single thing and analyse it endlessly just so we could end in a pit of self-destruction. Same as destruction of self esteem - humans vary so much and it should be considered great (ahem, not when in need of help but it is a brain short cut). I am sure you can find a way to like yourself in the mirror but that way is not by rejecting your body (unless you are in danger like sgreen). Fake confidence and liking yourself till you believe it, change wardrobe, dye hair, join yoga class margaret mentioned (I cannot as hypermobility xD) or anything like that.

Good luck to you as well!

• Posted

I am just not really sure about it. The reason I want to know this is so I can stop feeling guilty and depressed about it especially in conjunction with my muscle workout. I want to become reasonably strong and muscular and I may do it, but it would be much easier if I knew exactly 100% that my fail in the past didn't lead to this health problem called scoliosis. I had a very hard time back then in school.

I had huge anxiety and because of that my mouth was always dry and I couldn't eat anything. Somehow this transferred to be this way even after school when I got home. They also bullied me a little in school but not much. I especially had great fear of sports lessons and would sometimes quit to go to school back then. However I do think that when I got home, I should have relaxed a bit and just ate something! That's the part I blame myself for... then I finished this school with very average grades and got sent to a mental hospital. They said I had psychosis, asperger and indifferent schizophrenia. Weird that I did not get diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. This was obvious to me that I had one and I do have intrusive things and compulsions. Not so much obsessions at least. I just didn't tell them because it was awkward.

So I had 55 kg from 16 to 19 years as a male with a height of 1.82 meters. Isn't that weight very little? What BMI would that be?

Couldn't it be that I had underweight + probably poor nutrition and lack of minerals (calcium) which made my bones soft and then I was always sitting unevenly and weirdly. In school and at home when I played videogames for hours... so either this made my bones and my spine soft and I deformed it by adopting bad sitting positions? Or I simply had a lack of and weak back muscles so that they couldn't bear the weight of the spine due to my underweight. That all together developed my 20° S curve scoliosis.

Could this be true? Is it my fault? Did I worsen or cause this scoliosis? Even if it does sound like I want it to be my fault... I really do not want it to be. It's just my exacting personality and partly ocd. Please be not my fault.. I already asked all professional doctors and orthopaedics and they all said the same thing. We don't know if it's your fault and if you worsened or caused it or not. But you know how doctors are... What is your opinion?

• Posted

Whether your bones are soft or not I don't think matters. You were going to develope scoliosis anyways. Stop beating yourself up about it seriously you shouldn't dwell on and be upset about something you cannot change because then u will just b living in the past. You need to live in the now and focus on how you're gonna move on and what you wanna do with your future because the now and the future you can do something about but not the past cuz theres no time machines to go back and do anything differently. I understand you have a problem with ocd which could cause the anxiety but also having high anxiety can cause you to have have ocd tendancies. Does that make sense to you? And I think you should work out and get exercise in moderation don't hurt your back by overdoing it It's the only back you'll ever have and physical activities can b good therapy for mental illnesses such as your anxiety. I feel my anxiety melt away a lot when im active because a tired brain is calmer. You need an outlet for your issues. Get some hobbies to distract yourself when ur not feeling the greatest. I always use the distraction technique I learned that in cognitive behavioural therapy. Another thing I recommend that really helped me is if you can go adopt a dog from a shelter . shelter dogs know you've saved them and they return the favor by being very loving caring and loyal. My dog is a little pitbull I rescued from a shelter in Illinois as a pup and I've had her 2 years and have been training her as a psychiatric service dog so I won't b so anxious out in the public and when she's not working and were at home she is my best friend. I don't do too well with human friends. The few friends I have are people I met during a few of my many hospitalizations in the psych ward. It's easier to relate to and get along with people who are dealing with the same or similar situations and illnesses you have. They understand cuz they're living it too. Like having a therapist who gets u not because they're educated about it but because they've been there and experienced it too. Hope this helps took me forever to type this. I'd go adopt a best friend from a shelter if you can seriously. Good luck. Feel free to message me if u have questions.

• Posted

I'd rather want to know if I caused/worsened my scoliosis and if I did something wrong for it to develop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.