Is there a spiritual side to narcolepsy?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone my name is Joel and I've been suffering with narcolepsy from at least the age of 12, I'm 28 years old and was only diagnosed 3years ago! 

As as a young boy growing up I was always know for my sleeping and then became numb to the word lazy as it seemed that I lacked the drive to do anything I put my mind to, it became the norm to assume that I would start something and never finish it which was very disheartening at the best of times.

It started off with me falling asleep after meals and any time I was in a relaxed environment and as abnormal as this was it went unnoticed because I would spend most my nights up because of the amount of sleep I've had in the day so it looked like I was making up for lost sleep. (Wrong assumption)

My condition started getting scary and I noticed that I would stop breathing as I was sleeping and at the same time I couldn't move! It was like I was going to die and there was nothing I could do I could feel myself going and suddenly at the last moment I'd snap out fighting for breath, after months of this happening I soon got to grips with what was happening and could almost anticipate when it was going to happen because I would get this feeling like butterflies in my stomach as if the gravity beneath me got lighter and I was floating. I then noticed that 95% of these attacks occurred when laying on my back and at night only as I got older it would start happening in the day and in any sleeping position.

Over the years these attacks would vary between a couple times a day to a couple times in a week. 

My dreams seem so real and vivid it's unreal and I often get scared in my home. I've had out of body experiences on another type of level and last night something weird and terrifying happended to me, before I fell asleep I felt a presence in my home and I was freaked out and scared to sleep, as I fell asleep I feel into that state of not being able to move instantly which is the norm for me but on this occasion I heard my door open and footsteps to my bed at this point I was helpless and jumping in my paralysed body, I felt my bed dip and something laid and spooned me from behind at this point I was hysterical and somehow managed to break free, as scared as I was I couldn't get the strength to get up and drink some water and get myself together this is not unusual for this to happen to me and it often can happen straight after an attack as I'm to tired to get up I get pulled straight back into what ever it is that is attacking me. Ive noticed that when I pray as I'm laying there helplessly it gets more violent as if I'm p*ssing what ever it is off and that where ever I am in my life spiritually mirrors how I'm effected in the night. I just really want this to stop I have no peace!!  Is there anyone else out there that understands what I'm feeling. I don't want to seem like I'm losing my mind but this is just basic stuff that I've experienced a lot more has happened but I've just had enough I'm under no medication as the madaffinil had no effect on me and my condition stops me from keeping appointments with my neurologist I feel alone and without help or guidance and my quality of life is at an all time low as Im depressed a lot of the time and don't understand why. And tbh this is the first time I've vented about my feeing and I don't think I've come to terms with my illness.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Joel, your experience is exactly like my own, on down to the spooning! I have narcolepsy with cataplexy and though this condition can be confusing and depressing at times, I do believe we have a gift to connect with the spiritual world. I know it might sound crazy to some but I imagine it is scary to those that have never had such experiences. Just wanted to let you know that you are sooo not alone. I find it hard to explain to others.
  • Posted

Hi Joel,

I have experienced this also. Some people act as if you are crazy or have some type of medical condition. I think it's more than that.

• Posted

Hi my name is Alecia and I trouble with narcolepsy, at least I think I do because I too sleep a lot during the day, I could be reading a book, or writing even and fall asleep, at first my mom would say it's just bad practice and I'm being lazy but as recent as yesterday she told me it could be something spiritual after reading a book about it. I use to have sleep paralysis a lot, I would fall asleep and dream I'm having sex with someone and I would wake up by can't open my eyes or more but in my mind I would be screaming and calling out to God rebuking whatever was holding me down, then I would feel this pain in my side like if someone is piecing me with a dagger or something I would have to fight and fight to break free. Other times I would dream about death loosing people I love the most and wake up crying. Another time i was in what they call a sleep and wake state and I could feel like someone stuffing something in mouth I wasn't choking, it was like an inward and outward motion, and when I was fully awake my mouth was dry and I could literally feel like something was there and I don't have to be on my back for these tings to happen even if I'm on my side or belly I could feel like someone is trying to turn me over. But now I'm 22 and I don't dream often and I don't have sleep paralysis very often either because I've become aware of it and it is spiritual so the minute I having that feel I try to shake it off right away and either get up or change my position. If you read up on succubus and incubus spirits you'll understand what I mean. And this all start when I was like 15 and I still experience narcolepsy a day like today. So I do know how you feel.

• Posted

Hello Joel you are not alone I am 30 and my experience is almost identical to yours. I am not an expert at all but im here for you if you need someone to vent too. im having a terrible night and this is why im Googling about "narcolopsey". Thats a medical term but this has to be a spiritual circumstance

• Posted

hello Joel. I have narcolepsy and I do believe it is a way for demons to have access in the spiritual realm. I had these questions long ago and no one could help me until God had me meet a woman who has mentored me about dreams, demons, and the Supernatural. I want you to know that there is freedom you can get. I'm not sure if you're a believer in Christ but that would be the first step is being saved, next you need to learn more about deliverance and how to claim your authority over these things because we have the power and authority through Christ Jesus to tell those things to flea. I use to be fearful just like you but now I no longer fear because God took fear out my life and he is training me to be a warrior over these demons. if you like to understand more let me know. God bless

• Edited

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy without cataplexy, at the age of 23. I realize that narcolepsy is directly related to depression as I've been taught that depression is self loathing or being hyper sensitive to oneself ( your behaviors, decisions, appearance, or anything concerning self). When we are self loathing then we are not focused on God and what He says about us. Our faith is tested because we battled with these fleshly emotions versus what our faith tells us. They only way to combat depression is to get help. Seek therapy, get active, and watch what you eat. With a poor diet your not giving yourself a fighting chance to get through it. In my experience diet and exercise are essential. My symptoms are minimal to none when my choices are healthier. Develop a prayer life, journal your prayers. Communion with God is essential. Let your fears and worries be known. Ask for His wisdom, strength, and guidance as you navigate life.

I'm now 36 yrs old and im in a better head space. I can still go into REM in less than 2 minutes when in a relaxed state, but im no longer falling asleep at the wrong times. I regulate my sleep patterns. And i know when its time to shut down. I just thank God for allowing me to go through and come out of what i felt would be a lifetime of misery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.