Is there a weight gain problem on venlafaxine?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all iv come off mirt & starting venlafaxine tomorrow . There was a massive problem with gaining weight with this.. but more so because of cravings..is it like this at all with venlafaxine? Thankyou.

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think it's completely different for everyone. I am on Mirtazipine and have no cravings at all. I had to come off Venlafaxine due to massive alcohol cravings.
    • Posted

Yes I actually thought I was going mad until I Googled "Venlafaxine alcohol craving" and found I was certainly not alone.
    • Posted

Oh my word iv got a 3yr old I can do without that.. would you say that was the only problem with it ..I'm. So scared of side effects
    • Posted

As an antidepressant it did the job when I got up to the 300mg dose. It was one of the stronger ones I've had in that I couldn't get emotional at all on it.

It is quite difficult to come off as you'll read on these forums so if/when it comes to that make sure you taper off very slowly.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your input. Its made me feel more at ease now. I was told that about mirt (tapering) yet my phyciatrist told me to just come straight off it.. I went to see my doc a few days later he couldn't believe I'd come straight off it but said il be over the worst of WD now
    • Posted

It's amazing how many doctors tell people to stop Venlafaxine abruptly. It even says in the pack not to!

I was a little ill for the first two days of Venlafaxine but fine after that.

Good luck with it.

• Posted

Hi I'm on 300mg and crave sweet things and sugar something I never liked before but I use my fitness pal app it has done well for depression
    • Posted

Hi dawn thankyou for replying I never ate sweet before either I so hope it doesn't happen again I lost the plot so bad on mirt because of it .
  • Posted

Hi I had no issues with weight gain. I stopped taking Ven about a month ago and Other than being short-tempered no issues.  I was on Ven for 12 months. 
    • Posted

Thankyou David I'm to start it today .. feel like I need a break after mirt my head feels like it's on fire inside all the time.. mirt made feel like a ticking bomb twards the end .
    • Posted

Hi staz

I havnt started yet ..was ment to be yday.. not in a good place at the moment at all.. still getting WD from the mirt too.. sleep is impossible 😢

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Sharon. My Pdoc has perscribed ven to be taken with the mirt as it's more effective than either med by themselves.

Hang in there

much love x

• Posted

I just wanted off the mirt my head went with all constant battling in my head over cravings ..I really do lose it .. I just wanted to go on citrolpram as it gos well with lithium bt pdoc wouldn't have it .. who knows it may work .. thanks staz & you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.