Is there a weight gain problem on venlafaxine?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all iv come off mirt & starting venlafaxine tomorrow . There was a massive problem with gaining weight with this.. but more so because of cravings..is it like this at all with venlafaxine? Thankyou.

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, I have been on venlafaxine for several months and am not entirely happy with it but I have actually lost about half a stone. Insomnia is my main problem. Is "mirt" the same drug as Zispin? I was on this for a short time several years ago and I felt as if I had gained weight almost immediately! Legs and arms felt heavy too. My Doc at the time (now retired) said that another patient had exactly the same experience. Good Luck
    • Posted

Hi fiore thanks for replying. . Ahhhh well at least that's 1 good thing then.. mirt burnt my head out completely. .worse drug iv been on.

Iv been in mirt before bt can't remember why I came off now I'm thinking maybe because of the insomnia. .I still suffer now so that means another drug for sleep ..thanku good luck to u too it a never ending battle 😢

• Posted

Been on venlafaxine before... when do u take your pill?
    • Posted

*venlafaxine before* when do you take your ven?
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

Not sure if u have started ur ven yet? Just to let u know when i started mine i had pretty bad side effects - nausea, headaches, upset tummy etc.. Im actually coming off ven now, i got so fed up with 'not feeling' anything anymore, no emotions, couldnt feel sad about s'thing that was upsetting, cldnt cry, no love/caring feelings for my kids (tho i knew i loved them very much), just awful but that emotional numbness is a side effect of ven or as i called it they 'dumb u down' but i think a lot of anti depressants do that.

Anyway just wanted to share how i felt starting ven. Hope it goes well for you

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela no I havnt started yet I'm still having WD with the mirt feel like crap so dnt wnt that in my system too .. feel so depressed right now & the thought of this ven is making me so much worse. I think I remember now why i might of came off them.. with u saying this.. I went to my nans funeral & didn't feel a thing .. it made me feel horrible ..Id luv not to have emotions at the moment my family cause me so much upset bt like u I have a little 1 that I waited along time for ..he is my world not to feel would kill me I think ..feel like I can't cope anymore no1 understands or listens.. Dr just rang to say my next dose is ready at the chemist .. 😣
    • Posted

I take 150mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening, I was originally taking the evening dose just before bed but the pharmacist suggested taking it about 7pm  because I was having trouble with insomnia. This made no difference to the insomnia and today I have been prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline to be taken at about 9.30 as well as continuing with my usual doses of venlafaxine. I am now a bit worried about the combination but she is going to ring me in 2wks to see how it's going.  My instinct is to drop down a bit on the venlafaxine but I am doing as the Doc says for the time being. All changes in antidepressant medication are SO DIFFICULT, I hope it goes well for you.
    • Posted

Thanks fiore ..my dose is 37mg for a week then going up.. should I take that at night?
    • Posted

Because of my problems with insomnia I would suggest you take it in the morning but I think your doc should have advised you about when to take it. You could phone your docs surgery or a pharmacist might advise you. Sorry, I can't be more helpful with that because when I started it I was lowering my dose of clomipramine whilst going up on the venlafaxine until I was totally on venlafaxine. It will take a while to get used to as all these meds do, it would seem that the docs who say there are no side effects or no withdrawal symptoms have never experienced taking them themselves and some don't even seem to read about the most common side effects. Also some docs have more empathy than others with depressive/anxiety problems.
    • Posted

I suffer with insomnia too .. been taking zopiclone more often than not lately.. I think because I was in such a state when it was prescribed I most likely didn't listen . My doc is really nice shame the pdr couldn't be.. I take lithium at night too.. some say best time to take any is at night so the daytime side effects won't be too bad.. just dnt want to be sitting here with my 3yr old having mad moments.. I think I'm just over scared with having an episode couple of weeks back
  • Posted

Hi Sharon

i am currently tapering off mirtazapine for the huge weight gain it caused me. I'm due to drop down to 15mgs next week for two weeks then start on venlafaxine so I'm interested in your thread. I would like to private message you but can't remember how to do it x

• Posted

It is very different from person to person. Took it for 12 years in total. Never gained any weight and no strange cravings. Best of luck
    • Posted

Hi Purple,

Did Ven poop out on you or did you just withdraw from it?

• Posted

Hi Staz. No, I completed treatment and was told by doctor to start reducing. This medicine gave me the balance needed to work it all out. Had no issues coming off it (going on it was much more unpleasent). Please note however i tapered off very very slowly. It took 2 years or more to taper off. Having tried to come off it fast in the past and suffering not only withdrawals but also rebounds which were worse than the original issue i took them for....i learned that slow does it. Are you starting or stopping?
    • Posted

Hi Purpledobermann

Wow thats amazing u had no issues coming off ven, fantastic for you!, most people would get some withdrawal symptoms even doing it slowly. I have reduced down to 75mg IR tablets, for my next reduction i was thinking of cutting a quarter from one tablet to see if thats any better for me? I have had a horrible time because of big drops in ven (37.5 mg drop at a time) cuz my dr updosed me and it was horrendous so had to drop down again to get rid of the side effects so then going thru it all again!!

May i ask u how u dropped down, dose wise etc? I would love to be able to withdraw with very little side effects, dont care how long it takes!!

Hope to hear from you

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela. You already have an advantage. I was on XR not IR. So i had to bridge the gap. I have felt the withdrawal when I rushed a couple of times before. I was prepared on the final draw so I probably managed to weigh them against the bad experience and saw that it is not as bad as then. Any discomfort was fairly mild and forgettable compared to previous experiences. The main trick was not so much to do with level of reduction but how long we allowed between reductions and my doctor’s sensitivity, patience and humor.
    • Posted

As I recall it went as follows:

Therapeutic dose was 150 extended release (XR) once per day. Reduced to 75mg XR and 37.5 mg XR taken together once per day = 112.5mg for about 9 MONTHS. I am not sure if it was longer but I am sure it was not shorter. (it had to be at least 3 months with no old or new symptoms cropping up and no reduction was made at any time I had any major life events, positive or negative. Doctor wanted a smooth rewiring as much as possible if we could afford it. Indeed the first drop was at 37.5 simply because research has shown any smaller increments to be waste of time (though all of us with experience would beg to differ I am sure biggrin. At first reduction I had some headaches and some heightened anxiety so we kept it steady until all symptoms withdrew entirely and reliably for at least 3 months. I am repeating this because I found it important in maintaining benefits from your therapy. If you are stopping because you are switching to another medication or are otherwise in a rush for medical reasons please note it is a different story. Here I am just sharing my own experience so you can see the procedure – for those who have time to wean slowly!

Then, to prep my brain for ensuing reductions we went to 75mg XR and 37.5 IR (this way we still had full dose of 112.5mg as before  but with the 75 mg keeping a steady wave over 24 hours and 37.5 mg IR peaking at 12 hours and then dropping, which allowed for mild reduction over the course of the day. I found this a very clever and effective technique, I guess especially useful for someone with GAD or panic background – not sure how effective it would be for those taking it for other reasons. It was training the brain to not panic to the reduction sensation as he later explained and it really paid off in my case. This took about 2 MONTHS.

Then we went to 75 mg XR once per day for about 3 MONTHS, immediately followed by 37.5 IR twice per day for about 3 MONTHS (it is that brain elasticity training again biggrin.

Then I asked the doctor to let me go slower than the 37.5 drop and he allowed it as the length of weaning was of no consequence in my case. The reason I asked is because I tried dropping to the last 37.5 and found I felt awful. At the time 37.5 tabs (as opposed to capsules) were still available (they no longer are where I am by the way and i think that is cruel to those starting and stopping this medication) so I halved the one tab and effectively dropped by just below 19 mg to a total dose of just over 56 mg. I felt no withdrawal and after 3-4 weeks (so around 1 MONTH). Then I dropped the remaining half and found myself on the dreaded last 37.5 mg. I held at that level for no more than 3 MONTHS and dropped by half which I kept for about 1 MONTH. Then took it every other day for a week or so, then every third day for a week or so and then I started forgetting to take it.

Hope this helps give an indication of how long it takes, when done slowly and when you are not rushed for other reasons. I was lucky to have had the time though i did get pregnant during the second half of the weaning however we continued tapering off rather slowly because of prior bad experience stopping abruptly.

• Posted

Not sure how you are taking your pills 1 x75mg twice per day, i.e. 150mg? 75Mg IR taken once per day? 75 mg split into two and taken twice a day? But there is no harm cutting a quarter out anyway. There is never any objection by doctors if you want to go slow in my experience though your and my slow may make them laugh at us (you know because 'research has shown no difference in cutting out less than 37.5 at a time' blah blah...). Generally if you can afford to keep it nice and small cuts and slow weaning...do it yes. But if your doctor is impatient or mean best to not tell him until you make it to the level he thinks you should be down to smile mine was exasperated with me in my final weans of half 37.5 smile I didn't care. I felt better.

• Posted

Thankyou

. Sorry only just seen this .. Iv done ok on the 1st week.. I'm taking them at night .. I'm. Starting 75mg tonight ..

• Posted

Hi Purple,

I've been perscribed Ven 150mg by my Pdoc a few weeks back so very much at the beginning.

How long have you been Ven free for?

• Posted

3 years ven free. and total of 8 yrs symptom free. Going on Ven was hard for me actually - adjustment took about 3 months for me. Symptoms stabilized to tolerable levels at around 9 months and then progressively better. Symptom free at approximately 2 yrs. Then i took 2 years for maintenance and finally 2 years for weaning. Did you start straight at 150?? I was also treated at 150mg XR. For severe GAD.

• Posted

That's good going Purple. Well done. My starting dose is 75mg's for a month then to 150mg if needed. GAD also.
    • Posted

It is a good drug for GAD, others did not make the cut in my case. Hellish headaches at first and feeling worse then better. But once you balance you are more or less good and should see steady improvements. You will however only notice them in hindsight most probably smile Wish you a smooth journey and fast recovery.
    • Posted

ugh...ballsy doctor straight to 75 ...how things quickly changed. Back in my time they tiptoed around it a little more. I remember going on 37.5 and feeling like i was going to die :D Since you are still able to type starting straight at 75 you'll be fine in no time when you cross over to 150! Keep your spirits up! smile
    • Posted

i remember headaches and agitation at 75mg. But they all subsided after 2 or so weeks. Some symptom worsening at first but then, right around 4-6 weeks...started seeing clear results. gradual though. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Purple,

I've yet to take the first one as I want to be mirtazapine free when I do so I should start next week.

• Posted

Hi Staz

I'm currently weaning off mirtazapine as well and due to start venlafaxine x

• Posted

Thankyou I'm so looking forwards to having a little brightness in my life.. I do feel like Theyv had an effect already 😊
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

I'm down to 3.75mg now and will stop next week then leave a few days before starting the Ven.

Keep in touch and good luck.

x

• Posted

Hey staz how are you? Took 75mg Las night it was fine not really any difference 😊
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Struggling a bit today tbh but I had a few beers last night which was great at the time but now I'm paying for it. Feeling lower than I've doen for a few days. I've decided to stop the mirt tonight and try and ride out ay WD effects. I haven't had a problem reducing so far so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Time will tell.

Good news the step up in Ven hasn't caused any problems for you and it's encouraging to hear positive news as ven gets a lot of bad press.

• Posted

Oh no what u like.. sounds exactly like me..bloody evil butterflys I call it.. I'm dying for a drink to chill but not worth the days after.

Good for u staz go for it. Hopefully youl be ok just feeling a bit off ya head ..

Iv got no appetite at all nice change from mirt too 😆

• Posted

Only got myself to blame Sharon so back on the dry regime tonight. I didn't go crazy or anything but 4 beers was enough to make me feel lower today.

I'm apprehensive about dropping the mirt. I can cope with insomnia, sickness or head aches I just hope it doesn't worsen my depression. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Arhhhhh don't beat yaself up staz soon be over with.. I think the ven is working on my depression straight away .. I'm goin thr some bad sh*t atm which would normally make me really ill..for some reason I seem to be getting thr it without any suport.. I was so scared takin this after what the mirt done bt have to say now I'm so glad glad I have 😊
    • Posted

3.75mg? I've been told to take 30mg for 2 weeks then 15mg for 2 weeks then go straight on the venlafaxine? X
    • Posted

Hi gill I havnt seen it .. I'm doing OK thanks taking double didn't really feel any difference thankgod 😆 how are u xx
    • Posted

3.75mg is a quartered 15mg tablet Gill. I was planning to drop that to zero tonight but I've had a rough day so will give it another few days I think.

You can take Ven with Mirt but that can only be perscribed by a Pdoc.

• Posted

Even your posts are sounding brighter Sharon.

x

• Posted

Yes I'm good thanks. I thought it was odd you hadn't replied lol. It sounds like the venlafaxine agrees with you xx
    • Posted

so how what and when did you taper? I'm just interested because as I say I've been told to do 2 weeks at 30mg then 2 weeks at 15mg then start the venlafaxine alongside my Prozac. Does that sound like a fast taper? X
    • Posted

Good good 😊 I was thinkin that too 😂😂

I'm made up after the fuss I made starting it. Good not having an appetite too after that bloody rubbish xx

• Posted

So did you lose weight as soon as you came off mirtazapine? I wonder if our private message box was full to capacity and that's why you never got it lol. I've missed ya! 😉
    • Posted

Thanks staz I'm really surprised. ..wonder drug at last 😂 only took 20yrs x
    • Posted

No during doin that sodden Cambridge diet 3milk shakes a day absolutely killer with the cravings .. sent me mad. Iv stayed the same since I came off it .. bt I did have an Indian roast & meal out with a bot of wine 😂😂missed ya too kido ..il see if I can send xx
    • Posted

Yes it does Gill. However the ven and prozac will counter any mirt wd for a guess. I'm trying to come off mirt before starting the ven so I've come down from 30mg to 3.75 in 2 weeks which is a steep drop.

x

• Posted

I hope it has the same impact on me Sharon. Having had prozac pack up on me after 3 years I hope ven lasts a bit longer although I only intend to use it to get me through this deprssive episode and hopefully come off as soon as I'm better.
    • Posted

Arhhh I hope it does for u staz .. do u just have episodes then?? Go on & off meds?
    • Posted

Yeah that's the cycle I'm stuck with Sharon. This episode is the worst in 10 years with minor wobbles in between admittedly. Problem was I stayed on prozac for too long and it pooped out on me. Had a wobble and got put on mirt then stopped that then a major episode in Jan when the mirt was increased but that pooped as well.
    • Posted

Oh god that's a major jump from prozac to mirt isn't it.. most harsh drug iv ever been on. I found I got brighter for a couple of weeks with mirt bt I'm thinking maybe that was because I slept on the 15mg only .. so then went back down hill. I think it's a cheap nasty drug that gets dished out before the better stuff. Iv got a feeling citrolpram is expensive bcuz my pdr wnt give me it. They gave me quetiapine which piles weight on u .. bcuz lithium is more expensive. I fort for that too..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.