Is there any diet or holistic ways to shrink a prostate?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I researched a lot and have found that certain foods inhibit prostate growth. Does anybody have any antidotal experience using herbs vitamins foods or lifestyle changes that really improve BPH symptoms and can shrink or inhibit prostate growth?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have friends that swear their BPH symptoms were relieved doing a Keto ( low carb) diet. Its difficult to stick to though. Maybe it was just the overall weight loss IDK

• Posted

Many have tried, all have failed. Uros are still doing procedures, CIC is still popular.

• Posted

Folks...please...explain the acronyms and abbreviations etc.... What is a CIC what is a PEMF ?

• Posted

Clean intermittent catheterization (CIC)

Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF)

• Posted

Don't waste your money and time. There are no herbs or natural supplements that control DHT and shrinks prostate. According to the latest double blind study of NIH (the most reputable and independent US health study institution, not funded by private industry) there is no difference between Saw Palmetto and Placebo application for BPH in controlled studies. Read the details and educate your self. Snake Oil from Africa...

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Untrue, Certain flower Pollens have been clinically shown to reduce prostate size and volume, albeit not by a lot. Mainly true concerning Saw-P - no well-designed study shows it's any better than a placebo.

• Posted

When we are young we have NO problem metabolizing DHT .....The male hormone, testosterone, is converted into dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, by an enzyme in the body called 5-alpha reductase, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Well, young people have plenty of 5 alpha and even DHT but no BPH..Then at around 45-50 the prostate starts growing..where before it did not...Something in the prostate is not functioning to metabolize this growth molecule.

I believe the tiny capillaries around the prostate that carry blood for these vital processes JUST GET BLOCKED UP. These little guys are very hard to unblock ..That is why low fat diets work that lower LDL..BUT even then the DHT JUST is not metabolized like when you were young..

Point is, Immune enhancing foods will help to reduce inflammation in these little capillaries which will help a lot, allowing blood to move and natural food remedies that open these capillaries can HELP reduce UTI's and such but the blockages are still preventing the metabolism of the DHT properly.

Therefore, Holep or SOP or a half a dozen other surgeries will be needed in the end to remove the Edema .

Some have nice larger prostate capillaries and guess what...they do not have BPH, or not as bad.

Even with 5 alpha blockers the DHT IS still hanging around, BIG TIME . So good luck on the Natural food route which WILL SLOW its growth but it would be better if we could figure out how to UNBLOCK these tiny capillaries .

Good Luck to All

• Posted

And these capillaries may be blocked because there may be a burrowed infection within the acni sacs. I think DHT is only part of the issue. I do think you are on the right track concerning unblocking. I do wonder why Uros less and less 'milk' the prostate on a regular basis to help with 'unblocking.' I have yet been able to do this myself and I don't really want to hire some 'massage therapist' who almost all of then out here where I live promote the sexual aspect, which goes against my religious beliefs.

• Posted

Nice theory but has no scientific evidence or background whatsoever. BTW prostate grows starts in 20th, and only 50th some people start to feel the results. It's not an edema as a rule, but rather the increase in size of internal cells of the prostate's parenchyma, which are squeezed by the outer relatively rigid capsule with myriads of important nerves attached to both sides of the capsule. The growing prostate squeezed by the capsule creates all our problems with urination and even ED. There is no excessive water in prostate (which is a definition of edema). It was proven by recent publication that in some men the blood pressure and circulation is increased in the prostate and extremely high concentration of DHT (which rate of conversion from T in each man is genetically programmed) is different. In those with high DHT and often apparent high libido, aggressive alpha-male behavior and often very early baldness, BPH develops earlier and is more severe. BPH develops in male dogs and bears, and even Roman gladiators, if they lived long enough. Newton died from BPH and bladder obstruction and inflammation 300 years ago at age 84. He was celibate all his life. That's why no herbal supplements work on BPH. The idea that estrogen mimickers like soy derivatives and plastic additives increase DHT is a nice hypothesis to be proven yet. They so suppress production of T, though, that should lead to opposite effect. The only proven anti-BPH treatment is early castration. No eunuch in Middle East ever developed BPH or prostate cancer. This is the only radical method of BPH prevention, which is still used with mixed success to defy late aggressive prostate cancers. Countries in which BPH is less prevalent albeit not that rare, mostly Eastern Asia are known with generally lower levels of T/DHT in males and often shorter life span. Yes, Western diet might have a role in BPH and PC but it's grossly exaggerated and should be proven experimentally, which is a very challenging task. That's why PAE works the best. It cuts the blood supply, decrease internal pressure and supply of DHT. DHT doesn't cause inflammation and acne type secretion it promotes growth of some cells which are genetically programmed that way. Nobody still understands why old male dogs, which were not neutered as puppies , suffer from BPH, obstruction and incontinence like us older men.

Attempts to treat them or monkeys with Saw Palmetto, or other Chinese herbal supplements were all to no avail. So, don't fantasize, create false theories or listen to midwife tales. Physical activity, weight lifting can promote BPH the same way as sedentary lifestyle and metabolic syndrome does. Bodybuilder who are present on this site also develop a 300 g prostate at age 54. They just better fit for TURP.

There is no cure for BPH but there newer less invasive way to treat it and decease it. Educate yourself from good scientific literature and recent peer reviewed publications in urological magazines and don't listen to most of Urologists.

• Posted

To gene97713: Thanks for the info. This is helpful and mind numbing as to all the places I need to research to get the best available 'truth' on how best to proceed.

• Posted

Good points!

I also think that blocked acini are a major culprit in chronic prostatitis. And you're right: it's nigh impossible to find a Uro who will "milk" the prostate.

I tried using a prostate massage device but could not do it correctly. After a dozen or so failed attempts I tossed it in the trash.

I could not even find a professional prostate massage therapist (not a massage parlor), and am with you - I would not pursue it if it was a front for prostitution.

I take sitz baths and do a little pelvic floor exercises. Those only mildly alleviate pain.

BPH is definitely a life-changer. 😦

• Posted

I've read your very instructive comments and thank you for the time taken to respond...

Sometimes we need to look at many avenues of research to try to construct a theory as to a Major cause of BPH...

The following study link may help to clarify why the capillary diameter size theory may be the problem in BPH..maybe the main reason.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2078152016300888

As not to hijack this thread it is not unreasonable to suggest that certain foods and diets would be Very helpful in SLOWING the progress of BPH by increasing blood flow in these areas. I have experienced this personally with my bout with BPH.

However reversing the growth of the prostate is another story.

Best of Luck

• Posted

Good morning Bay

If you have a Urologist ask him for the diet that is for the bladder and the prostate.

It has 8 pages. It tell you what you can have . What you can't have. And what you can try. Because different thing affect other men differently .

There are some food that are very good for the prostate. It may not shrink the prostate but it will help with inflammation. Also you should stay away from any citrus because it irritates the bladder

My doctor gave it to me 2 years ago. I try to fellow it as much as I can

Have a great day.........Ken

• Posted

I have tried everything from topical progesterone to traditional Chinese medicine (with herbs) to a dozen "miracle" prostate formulas to dietary changes.

NOTHING reverese BPH (enlargement) other than (1) Finasteride, which has side effects; (2) surgery: TURP, FLA, HoLEP, PAE, partial resection (open or robotic prostatectomy), REZUM, Greenlight, etc

Eat organic and eliminate estrogen mimickers (research this).Unfortunately, there is no magic pill out there.

• Posted

Right, no magic pill but there may be a way in combination to attack the root cause. Look into Coca supplements 😃

• Posted

Did internet search for coca supplments to treat BPH and enlarged prostate.

Came up empty.

Not following you here at all, unless you were joking and I missed a pun somewhere along the way.

• Posted

I'll PM you. Look up "Arginase Inhibitors" then see this NCI article; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5625295/ which addresses some of the things I've mentioned. A certain Coca brand contains these Arg Inhibitors naturally - Coca flavonols. There is actually a company I'm vested in that licensed the Arg Inhibitor from Mars Corp -- These Arg Inhibitors are antifibrotic agents.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.