Is there anybody out there that has come off Venlafaxine drug and feels human again?

Posted , 12 users are following.

If so please comment . Tells us how you feel so we have hope . Am having a melt down and I just want to hear from someone that has stopped taking   Venlafaxine, how long you were on it, how long you have been off of it and how you feel.

Thanks

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there  I have just gone through a crazy weekend. I took an overdose of Lithium plus added some Trazadone into the mix. I was like a total zombie for years and couldn't face any more hence the suicide attempt, I left hospital with strict instructions not to take any of my depression meds including Venlafaxine. After 2 days without it I suddenly became euphoric  I was happy!  My head was clear and I felt alive. I am getting all the brain zaps and shake like a leaf . I had cold sweats all day yesterday. My Doc said I have to take a half dose of Ven until the psychiatrist sees me. I am back like the zombie after just 1 tablet!!!   I am determined to get off the Ven ASAP 

• Posted

Wow sorry to hear your experience, as the drug never made me feel drugged. Maybe the other two you were taking did. But it was a life saver for anxiety and panic. I wish you well and take half as instructed until you see Dr keep us posted. Its a brutal one but you'll get through it. Keep busy exercise and walk.
    • Posted

Hang in there i am about 12 days off after weaning slowly for 3 months.

still have brain zaps buzing in my ears and an occasional crying fit!

We can do this! There are lots of people on here and great comments!!

• Posted

Thanks for your concern, I know it is near impossible for me to identify the cause of my zombie state (my Dr says it is the underlying depression) Niether can I say where my euphoria came from. It could be the Lithium poisoning .  I do know I am bias against Venlafaxine I personally feel it is a chemical cosh. Steve

• Posted

Just watch out for the euphoria - I had it as well, then comes the feeling that you want to fix everything that you've been thinking of doing but couldn't be bothered because of the tablets.

THEN you get angry when people *block you* and are "worried about you".

I put it down to the body's emotions shouting over the tablets and not the tabs are gone, the body is still shouting.

Tip: Make sure everyone who is in contact with you know you are doing this. Some will have an automatic negative reaction ("does this mean you are going to go crazy again?!?") but thats good as you know who is dangerous cause they will try to interfere in the recovery.

The good people will support you and be accepting of the changes that occur. BUT from everyone in the the forum, the meds are not a headache tablet, the depression won't go away after 2 years or so of use - the reason / circumstances are still there.

The REASON for the depression can now be fought with a clear mind!

~~

personally, I had an engagement breakup July 2011, and was "automatically" put on the tabs.

It takes 18 months to get over *any* shock / grief (our body is DAMN good at recovery!) and if I had not gone to the doc I may have "normally recovered."

I still have my basic "waiting to die attitude" since I was 18 that I have mentioned elsewhere. I had "set dreams" I was intolerant of changes and this sent me into a "well this didn't happen so I am cursed / never going to have a good life." So I almost deliberatly have not had a good life.

VF or any number of meds won't fix this attitude, but a positive attitude will.

Coming off the tabs, I still miss the ex very much, but I can do something about some things.

- Holiday = yes?

- Take wednesday off each week for a couple of months? = yes!

- look at different job / State = yes

- look at different accomodation = yes

= new attitude toward building a new life.

I hope I'm not preaching, but that some comments can stick / make sense and give some positiveness???

• Posted

Hi. I was on it several years ago when it first came out, and went right on cymbalta with no problems. It gave me my life back. Depends on what your going on to or if you've just stopped and are taking nothing which if this is the case then its tougher, side affects are worse. Are you on a new one? Have any ativan or anything to help? I've never gone off a med cold turkey and wasn't taking anything. Did you ask your gp?
    • Posted

I am on xanax I try not to take it. I took it tonight  I guess I have to keep taking a little bit everyday until I  am good . Whenever that will be.

Thanks!!  

• Posted

Hey how do you feel now you are off the Venlafaxine?  I am doing Ok after 17 months off it, and no withdrawals.  Get anxiety sometimes, and ups and downs, but all in all doing fine.  Nice to hear about others who have stopped the medication and coping without. 
    • Posted

17 mths off great job..how did u get thru withdrawel
  • Posted

Hi there I have been taking this med for seven years and I can honestly say that it helped me when I was at my lowest and allowed me to get on with life again but lately I have been feeling very numb so I decieded to try to come off after reading some of the stories on here I was very apprehensive but I thought it was worth giving it a try myself as everyone is different with the doctors support I have dropped my dose down to 75mg with no side effects and next month I will go down again to 37mg I am starting to feel myself again and am having happy periods in my life where before I had no happiness or motivation but I can say that if I start to feel desperate and unwell again I would not hesitate to go back on medication again.

hope this helps

sue

• Posted

Wow I agree with you how it helped me also and I wouldn't hesitate to go back on in future if I needed and ran out of options. Good luck to you as well.
    • Posted

I have to  say It helped me too. Now my life is different and it's time to move on. was on 150 mg for 12-13 years. Weaned off about 10% every 10 days. I've been off for  12 days I just thought I'd be better . It has gotten better but I guess I'm inpatient. I got xanax from my GP when times get tough . but don't like taking it every day. 

Thanks. Just having a tough night. 

• Posted

Hi Sue,

i just oust read your post from 23 days ago and wondered how you are doing and are you going to take another ad or try to stay off. 

Kind regards

Suki 

• Posted

Hi sukiwarrior,

I am 7 weeks free o V. I am trying to stay off if it. I had 3 solid good days like a semi normal person. When I feel good I feel good. The Past to days I was crying a little , a little depressed with little brain zaps and buzzing in my ears. The good far out ways the bad. As I said to my husband . Who has been by my side throughout this whole ordeal, I just thought I'd be done with this crap by now. But today is a new day!! I'm going to try to start out on a positive note and take it from there!! I do take b complex and omega 3s. I think they work not sure. 

What really helps is this site. To listen to others. I know there are others that suffer far worse than I do. 

Thanks for asking . My husband looked up  stories of people that are off this drug and are doing very well ! I have yet to go on his computer and find them. But I will . We all need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang tough either way you go !! Life is good!!

• Posted

Just read your updated post. Good work. I go on the site even when I'm fine just to read or help. And the V is tough coming off, but at the time of going on it gave me my life back,no anxiety or panic as I functioned well. So I moved onto cymbalta, seems to help me best over others.but you can do it and you will be fine.you have a great support,your husband. Merry Christmas
    • Posted

Hi Sue, well done.  Yes I am doing well after stopping 17 months ago, but like you say, if we feel we had to go back on it, we would.  I am hoping we all cope without this anti depressant.  Lovely to hear of people managing without.  You are doing it slowly, like I did, and so glad you are feeling yourself again.  Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,m love Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.