Is there anybody out there that has come off Venlafaxine drug and feels human again?

Posted , 12 users are following.

If so please comment . Tells us how you feel so we have hope . Am having a melt down and I just want to hear from someone that has stopped taking   Venlafaxine, how long you were on it, how long you have been off of it and how you feel.

Thanks

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks !! I have been 12 days off after weaning off for 3 months. It is up and down . I guess In have to give it time.

Thanks so much !!     This damn drug! 

• Posted

Just a thought but...once people feel better they probably don't come on this forum so don't let a lack of positive stories make you think that there aren't any!! Think, like me, people come on here for support when times are tough...people don't need that when times are good...they just get on with their lives. A really close friend of mine came off a simlar drug, had terrible withdrawals but is now totally fine...things in her life had changed and it was the right time for her. Really hope you're ok...
    • Posted

Thats what my husband said too. I'm having a better day. IT HAS to be better. He found some blogs here in US that people have commented on how good they are doing. I'll post them when he sends them to me. Just need to see the light at the end of the tunnel! And I will!!  Thaks so much!!   
    • Posted

Could u pleas let me no the site with the positive storiez as ive been off ven for four months an still havin withdrawl n especially after walkin its like ther worse.

• Posted

Well I come here to give others support,   I stopped Venlafaxine last year over 10 months and am coping well without.  I do hope other people come here too to give moral support.  Lovely to read of others who have withdrawn successfully. 
    • Posted

I try to report positive things . I tell it like it is I have been off 12 weeks and I have way more good days than bad. I was hit with depression last week and anxiety was always my thing. My husband keeps reminding me it's the drug. I do believe that the habits of not letting things bother me or letting it roll off my shoulders that I learned while on effexor has helped me cope Better. Things are getting better week by week. You must hang in there and that is not always easy, my husband has been by my side for the past 6 months. Remember these with drawl are like that of a drug addiction. My husband has a friend that was addicted to heroine and he had the same withdrawal symptoms. Crazy right. Give yourself a pat on the back you are doing great! Who though getting off anti depressants would be this difficult? It does get better. Also I learned omega 3 benadryl b complex vitamins and other thing will make you feel better!! 

Be well everyone!!

• Posted

I am off Venlafaxine.  It has been nearly seven months since I took my last dose.  I was on it for more than 10 years.  For the last five years, I took 350 mg daily.  Unfortunately nothing I have ever taken -- and I've tried a lot of anti-depressants -- has cured my depression. I can say that I have begun to feel almost human but almost is as good as it gets.  The depression is back full force.  I cry uncontrollably every single day.  I can only get 3-4 hours of sleep a day.  I am still prone to rage.  I despair ever being happy again.  I still get the cold sweats. The anxiety controls me.  I now have a plan to end my life.  This is simply not worth it.  I wish you better luck than I have had.
    • Posted

Please go and talk to someone about this, a doctor, a friend, a family member, anyone who can support you and get you some help xx
    • Posted

Hi there, why not try what worked and add abilify, I've heard good things. You are a precious human being and very important to the people around you. You have alot to offer. Please call gp and try abilify also. 😊 Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Oh Maureen it saddens me to read you are so unhappy.  I was on anti depressants for over 20 years.  Depression cost me a job, a house, relationships.  Lost so much.  Took an overdose, been in a phsyciatric hospital.  But you know what, I never stopped battling.  I could not let the illness win. 

I am a senior citizen and have kept going through thick and thin.  I am not on medication at the moment, but would go back on if I felt I needed to.  15 months since I took my last dose.  Took me 10 months to withdraw so I did not get symptoms.  I am doing OK.  In the past I have had depression return with few months.  This time I am hoping I will be able to cope.

Keep fighting like me.  Don't you feel you should go back on medication?

• Posted

Hey Maureen.  I am with you.  Been on anti depressants for over 20 years. I have stopped anti depressants in the past, but depression always returned.  Last year, on doctors recommendatio9n, I withdrew from Venlafaxine over 10 months.  Been 17 months now without, and hey depression not returned.

I do have ups and downs and anxiety on and off, but I am coping without medication.  I know I wont be cured, but I am learning to live without anti depressants for the first time in a very long time.  Ups and downs.  If I get really low,like in the past, then I know I will have to go back onto anti depressants.  I am so sorry you are feeling so bad again.  I dread that feeling daily, and it is so difficult isn't it?  Please don't take drastic acti9on.  I have taken overdose, been in psychiatric hoospital, lost job, home, relationships, but I have battled all these years.  I am old now but I have seen depression take away so much from me, but I won't let it win.

Please, please try and battle if you can.  Know it is hard.  Been there so many times.

Oh Maureen I so feel for you.  I am suffering with you, and shedding a tear for you.  I do so want to manage my illness without medication.

• Posted

Yes! I came off 75mg three weeks ago, I felt awful for the first two weeks, but now I am much better, feeling good and positive!
  • Posted

i took it on and off for ten years and I never had any problem coming of it.  I just cut down on the number of days I took it.  However, I was only on 75 mg so

mayb e that makes a difference.

Two years ago they stopped working and my GP tried me on various ADs to no avail.  She upped the Ven first to 150mg then 225 mg.  That was an awful experience.  Eventually I saw a Psychiatrist at my local hospital and she prescribed 15 mg Mirtazaqpine (which also was great for about three months then it too stopped working) and 150 mg Venlafaxine.  I said that both had stopped working and she said that sometimes singly they didn't always work but together they made an excellent combination.  I came aways feeling pessimistic but within 5 days I got my life back after nearly two years of having no luck with any meds.  That was 4 months ago and I am delighted to say that I am completely back to normal and it's great!  I'm sure you will be fine on them as I was for 10 years.

Good Luck.

Pat

• Posted

Last year it took me 10 months to withdraw from Venlafaxine.  I was on 150mg for 9 years.  I had quit cold turkey once, so this time took months and that way I did not get any withdrawal symptoms.

The drug did suit me very well, but my doctor suggested I try to come off it.  I have been taking anti depressants for 20 years.

It is 15 months since I stopped.  The longest I have ever gone without getting depression again with a few weeks.So far I am doing well.  Get stressed and low sometimes, and also get anxiety over silly little things.  On the whole I would say I was OK.  But then I was fine on the drug, except for indigestion and weight gain

• Posted

Thanks Anne! You give me hope. I just ahve to be patient!

Thanks to everyone !!!! 

• Posted

I do go to psycologist as well and she grounds me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.