Is this a sleep disorder or nightmare?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been experiencing very weird sleep incidents for the 9 months. Sometimes when I begin to fall asleep, I feel this pulsing in my ears (kinda like when you yawn and you can feel the pressure in your head) this is the first symptom that happens. I then begin to hear this very high pitched ringing in my ears and its so loud that it becomes incredibly painful. I also cannot move my muscles and sometimes I feel like I am floating off of my bed and doing weird contortions with my body. I am completely lucid when this happens and I always tell myself that it will end soon. Last night was the worst and it happened multiple times in a row. I remember my arm being bent and I tried to put it down but the ringing only got more intense and kinda almost punished me for trying to make it stop. My doctor could not explain to me at all so I'm here trying to see if anyone else can relate. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kevin.  I think I know what you're talking about, but in my case I think I know the cause.  That's not to say the cause for YOU is the same.  For me it's neurological in nature.  I have M.S. and moving around in bed is difficult due to some scattered numbness and weakness in my muscles.  There are times when I mover one leg and think I'm moving the other one.  It's very disconcerting.  I'll think my knee is stretching out straight and find it is bent.  I also have what I call a high pitched "hissing" sound in my ears that some times is deafening. 

I strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about ruling out possible neurological reasons for your experiences, maybe with MRI's of head and upper spinal cord.  I don't mean to alarm you, but I could totally relate to your posting.  Good luck and God bless you.

• Posted

This sounds like an electrolyte imbalance to me. You may be helped by supplementing with 300mg Magnesium glycinate about an hour before bed. The "sleep paralysis" is a different beast, but likely Mg will help with both as it induces fatigue and muscle relaxation! Good luck.
  • Edited

its just a sleep paralysis. Try not to sleep on your back with hand on your chest, it will make your body feel pressure on your heart and your mind try to wake you up with your greatest fear from your dream to overcome pressure on your heart so that you can wake up and release pressure. If you want to discuss your experience please let me know, I am like a pro in sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.