Is this a typical day for anyone else...?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am just on here for a rant ... feel as thoughi am in a rut.... get up several times through the night .... end up going to loo... making a hot drink.... take pain killers  muscle relaxants... sleep in til nearly lunch time.... do exercises on bed.... hobble downstairs for brunch.... try and do chores standing up... end up having to sit .. have to drink tea in the kitchen  as i can't carry a cup and use crutch at the same time.... more painkillers... shower.. sitting down  of course... put pyjamas on ... no point in getting dressed... more exercises... knitting... reading.... looking out at horrible weather... have evening meal.... ... phone my daughter with list of shopping...  more painkillers then bed... and so it goes on.... nearly 10 weeks on.. I am going insane... only been out of house a few times....mostly medical appointments.. rant over....ahhhh

3 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

oh my gosh mary!  i have joined this thread late and so have been able to follow the development.  so glad you have gone to your gp to get things sorted out.  don't hesitate to ask for help, even after this.  i think you have realized yourself that it cannot go on like this.  i can only confirm that an upboat mindset helps you a LOT.  last saturday morning i woke up and decided to leave the crutches at home.  and to grab life back as i was sick to death of harping on about  the K N E E.  enough!!  and since then, i seem to be taking baby steps towards making progress on the bend. i am hoping the meds kick in soon and you can turn this situation around.  keep at it!
    • Posted

Thank you Brittta.... I don't know if getting all that off my chest.... getting out today  .. speaking to GP...etc helped.. but I have been tidying up...  since I came home a   combination of standing / sitting down.... seem to have a sense of achievement today... probably be in agony tomorrow... but just settling down now with ice pack... meds... hot chocolate  and bed..... later...  

Thanks to you and  everyone else who sent me encouraging comments.... so glad I found this site. xx

• Posted

Well done you Mary!!!! The antidepressants will take a while to kick in. But one of the effects of depression is the feeling of inertia. Not being able to make yourself do stuff. Which is not helpful after a TKR. I'm sure you will turn the corner now. Keep us postedsmile
    • Posted

fantastic, mary!!  you know, the suitcase i went into hospital and rehab with - 9.3 weeks ago!! - is still sitting on my bedroom floor, unpacked biggrin  so this weekend i am DETERMINED to get it down into the cellar.  i think to a certain extent, many suffer similar symptoms.  don't despair.  a little extra every day will keep inertia at bay!!
  • Posted

Hi Mary . That sounds ok whilst in early recovery. In fact it sounds a bit like what I did for 7 weeks before I went back to work. I did do occasional lunches and movies for about 2/3 hours but right back o the couch later. I decided to go to work at seven weeks even though I had doubts I was ready. The hard part was getting my head around it. I still medicate , I'm still very uncomfortable sometimes, I still am heartily sick of it, I'm still often n pain etc etc but I try to make myself do somewhat normal activities like driving shopping etc. it's hard and sometimes I have to double medicate that night or the next day. My point is that although it is hard you need to start moving a little bit more otherwise it becomes mind over matter. That's not to say it will improve any quicker I don't think it is but at least there are a few hours in the day when I can enjoy life which although difficult is better than when I didn't do much because activity is a bit of a distraction.  So sorry that you are finding it so difficult we know exactly how you feel. I hope things improve for you. I'm almost 9 weeks now and at the moment laying on the couch after doing about 4 hours of standing and walking today, wasn't funandnow I'm suffering but for a while there I was normal lol
  • Posted

Hi Mary 

how are you feeling now?

are you managing to go out ?

jean 

• Posted

aw. .. that was nice of you to ask..... I am MUCH better... not just physically. .. but mentally... I am feeling more positive. ... got a bit of a routine now I am sleeping a bit better and got medication sorted out... my consultant is very pleased with my knee I have a full bend... cam do just about anything on it.... except walk properly....... I am using a stick now got rid of crutches ... still feel a bit wobbly outside... been to supermarket.. and my very good friend took me shopping all day on Friday... We used shop mobility... got a chair for a few hours...had a great day....onwards and upwards...  I use a balance ball and my neighbour gave me an exercise bike so ... hopefully my feelings of doom and gloom are over.... Thank you again for getting in touch!
    • Posted

That's really great Mary 

I'm so pleased your'e on the mend 

keep in touch 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Mary

So glad you are feeling a bit better in yourself.

It really does not matter your age etc, we all recover differently and it sounds like you had a very bad start after your op.

Onwards and upwards and well done you.

X

• Posted

Lovely that you now feel so much better, onwards snd upwards x
    • Posted

So glad your starting to feel better and more positive. Onwards and upwards xx
  • Posted

Yes, well done Mary. So glad to hear how much better you're feeling. Keep it up 😊 Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.