Is this a UTI? Urine negative for bacteria

Posted , 7 users are following.

Back at the end of the summer I took a urine sample to my gp as I was peeing a lot more than usual. She dipped it and said no infection showing but traces of blood were in it. These are invisible to naked eye. She gave me a weeks course of trimethoprim and sent sample to lab. On the last day of antibiotic I seemed to settle down and was told if symptoms recurred to go back to see her. I was ok until the past few days when I noticed I was peeing a lot again. I have had some sharp pain around the side of my lower back. Area around vagina feels hot, if that is the right word, no pain on urinating though. Urine is normal colour and not cloudy . I took a sample to nurse today and she said no bacteria but blood traces and it is being sent off to lab. I am really worried as everything I read on UTI all say bacteria is in urine and it is cloudy. Im worried that I may have kidney or bladder diseases. The blood is coming from somewhere. I am 50 and in menopause. Don't know if this is significant. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had similar symptoms. Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am not sure if I am of any help here, but first off when you are giving a sample are you cleaning the area and then doing a clean catch?  The fact that they are not finding bacteria makes me question a UTI.....Did they find any white blood count at all?  You are in menopause so it will have nothing to do with menses.....some of the symptoms you are having sound to me like a vaginal infection issue.  I have been having this myself, not the blood in urine mind you, but pains, burning and occasion feeling to pee more..on occasion they find low group b strep in my urine, but they are not treating it because there are no wbc and they are in low numbers, so I started getting treatment for vaginal infection as I feel that the strep b has colonized into the lady parts causing all this burning.  I have been doing ozone therapy and I feel relief until it flares back up again.  I am in perimenopause so they are thinking mine is hormonal related.  If I were you I would ask your doctor to do an ultra soun, swabs and also be reffered to a urologist where they will monitor your symptoms and order more cultures so they have a series to go on.  Good Luck with everything.

• Posted

I had a infection but urine was not cloudy for almost 3 days. Doc took a sample via Cath on a Tuesday morning. By Thursday morning I had a high temperature. Tuesday I felt fine. Doc told me culture was not done on Thursday but he said it was going staph infection. By Thursday afternoon it was cloudy. So you can gave a infection but not be cloudy yet. Mine actually ended up going MRSA as well.
    • Posted

Hi, my temperature was low yesterday 34.5 and today 35.5, haven't had a high temperature as yet. I'm now charting volume and frequency, as well as liquid intake until I see my GP on 19th December. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

When mine first started I didn't know what was going on. I figured was just the stress of surgery or the ton of antibiotics they had me on before it. Temp went up and down a few times. Nothing major. Then it jumped up, stayed up a couple hours, went back down. 12 hours later it went up and stayed up. That's when it hit me, you have a infection. Felt stupid for not realizing what was going on sooner. Then it kept going up. Was in a hospital bed with tubes running in me by noon. Was in there 5 days

• Posted

my urine samples always comes back clear from bacteria,although theres a trace of blood and white cells when the DR tests it..He usually gives me antibiotics anyway.it takes a course of these to put away the symptoms, like burning and peeing often, Dont know whats going on..x
    • Posted

I thought I was unusual, or seriously ill. I know my mums sister had months of scans and tests for the same thing a few years back and they were never able to find the cause so they just left it at that. I have got so obsessed I bought a tub of professional dip strips and am forever testing my urine to see if it comes up without blood in one sample. I'm not sure if these symptoms have been present since the first time in late summer or if they cleared and came back. My doctor is very thorough and is sure to refer without prescribing another course of antibiotics. Seeing her on 19th December but it feels such a long way off. Thanks for sharing your experience, sounds like we are in same place!

• Posted

Having had lower back/loin pain and discomfort in lower abdomen all day I retested my urine and it showed positive straight away for leukocytes. This wasn't the case yesterday but yesterday I didn't feel so achy. My PH has also gone up slightly, blood reading the same as it was yesterday. I think I may have a kidney infection as I have been very shivery and generally off colour. I have to phone for results on Tuesday so will post on here afterwards. In a way I am hoping it will confirm what I'm thinking, better that than having to be referred to hospital. Fingers crossed x

• Posted

Urine results came back normal today. I'm so relieved but don't really understand how it's clear. The receptionist said nothing grew in the lab. Still have DR appointment on Monday so will discuss it with her then. Thanks everyone who posted and shared thoughts and experiences. x

• Posted

I will be very interested to hear what happens - I am in exactly the same position.
    • Posted

Hi Lindsay. I will post after my appointment no problem. I have been on the lemon barley water since the weekend and have noticed an improvement. Not going so often etc. x
  • Posted

GP has referred me to hospital for camera in bladder. Says it could be blood vessel, cyst, anything and a lot of people have no explanation as to why it happens. This will be followed by bladder and kidney scan. I don't mind these, it's the camera. Feel sick and my Christmas is overshadowed now. Can anyone reassure me about this camera test, how long does it take, pain level etc? Thank you all x

• Posted

I been scoped twice. It's not that bad at all. Only takes a couple minutes. Had more pain from caths

• Posted

Do not worry (easier said I know) My friend went for one and she said it didn't hurt, they don't take long either.  There is a possibility I may be going for one once I see my urologist in January and you will be the pro and I will be full of anxiety.  Just remind yourself that these tests will hopefully find out or rule out what is going on and then hopefully there will be a road to recovery.

• Posted

LOL, thanks Linda. I know, you are right, it's best to rule everything out and if a 5 minute procedure can do that then I'll face it. Good luck in January. I'll update once I've been!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.