Is this a UTI? Urine negative for bacteria

Posted , 7 users are following.

Back at the end of the summer I took a urine sample to my gp as I was peeing a lot more than usual. She dipped it and said no infection showing but traces of blood were in it. These are invisible to naked eye. She gave me a weeks course of trimethoprim and sent sample to lab. On the last day of antibiotic I seemed to settle down and was told if symptoms recurred to go back to see her. I was ok until the past few days when I noticed I was peeing a lot again. I have had some sharp pain around the side of my lower back. Area around vagina feels hot, if that is the right word, no pain on urinating though. Urine is normal colour and not cloudy . I took a sample to nurse today and she said no bacteria but blood traces and it is being sent off to lab. I am really worried as everything I read on UTI all say bacteria is in urine and it is cloudy. Im worried that I may have kidney or bladder diseases. The blood is coming from somewhere. I am 50 and in menopause. Don't know if this is significant. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had similar symptoms. Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caz. I have similar symptoms.  Wondering how you went with test?  

I’ve just had u/s and 3 urine samples for cytology.  Quietly peeing myself (pardon the pun). 

• Posted

Hi everyone, so sorry I haven't been checking the forum. I had the cystoscopy back in March under sedation so didn't feel anything. Can't even remember having it, it's a weird feeling losing parts of your memory but that was what I wanted in this particular situation. I still have the blood in urine, still invisible. Bladder is fine and healthy so not sure whats causing it. My GP is satisfied that because the cysto was clear I don't need to worry about the CT. If I thought it was just injected contrast for that I'd be going and having it but I don't think I could face having to drink the barium. I don't go to loo so frequently now so that's a positive. Good luck to all of you who are having this issue. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.