Is this Balanitis? I'm 21, had it most of my whole life, no treatment has worked

Posted , 190 users are following.

Hello, I've seen a doctor many times about a mild condition I have on my penis glans, have been prescribed 3 different creams including Betnovate and a Hydrocortisone, a course of antibiotics and a swab which said I was clear and still the condition remains. I used to have a tight foreskin up until last year which is now sorted from stretching, and I think the condition began during my teenage years when I wasn't able to wash the glans. It often feels dry and can sometmes feel slightly painful when the foreskin retracts, almost like its rubbing and the sensitivity everywhere is quite high still, not sure if this is due to the condition. The urethra opening is always red and inflamed and red areas appear frequently around the glans itself. Any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated, have attached a photo too. Many thanks!

12 likes, 703 replies

703 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi guys, I had this start 4 years ago after a rough session over a couple of days but it was on my foreskin, and my foreskin would be red and sores underneath

tried everything, and then I was prescribed a 'potent' steroid cream. After using this I got a small red line on my penis glands which quickly became as your pictures shows

After much hesitation eventually 5 months later I had a circumcision, assured that this will cure my condition as it was thought to be recurrant balanitis.

Although my symptoms seemed to improve after circumcision, it was short lived

Whenever I ejeculate I get the redness at the tip. I have constant redness down the middle and I suffer swelling on the shaft occassionaly and all round pain and aching. I seem to have a constant burning sensation

A joint dermandrology clinic opened up especially for cases like mine; I was the first customer. It was a Dr from dermatology and a Dr from urology.

The first thing they prescribed was antibiotics. This didn't work, I had tried them before anyway. The next thing they tried was anti-histamine tablets. This didn't seem to work either. The last thing they were talking about was a rare condition where you could be allergic to your own semen. I am awaiting my next appointment.

Also you should rule out contact dermatitis, wear only white 100% cotton pants, wash with free from detergent and shower with baby shampoo which is free from everything. Didn't work for me, but might work for you.

I feel as though the problem is caused internally

I also feel as though I have been cursed because I had a high sex drive and got greedy

either way, getting intimate is unfortunately not a common occurence anymore, it just becomes too painful

• Edited

seriously though guys we could use eachother to find more about this condition, this is by far the most information I have ever come across about it

lets see if we all suffer the same symptoms

is this the same with all of you guys:

moisture makes it worse?

and you glans etc seem to have lost the ability to self lubricate?

We can try solve this together, I will then take all of the information from here and show it to my dermatology and urology doctors on my next appointment, then come back to you guys with their opinions

Dan

• Posted

I agree. It's very difficult to find anything on this. Also one of the dermatologist recommend I see an STI clinic as they might be able to help more. Haven't gone to one yet as I am a bit sceptical as I know it's not an STI as I have been tested a few times since this happened.

• Posted

I had not had sex yet when I first got this condition, so that rules out STI's on my part

• Posted

very fair. I also find when I do intense exercise it can flame up. Is this also a case for other people? I have been a very active person my whole life and since this I have had to calm down on the sports also.

• Posted

yep I find that also, I put it down to the combination of sweat and friction, also you get quite hot and clammy and this adds moisture which for me makes it flare up

yes I avoid sports that involve running now, I used to play football allot but the increased irritation after every time put me off

• Posted

I'm going to join in on this I have had the same problem for six months the Doctor says it's normal just friction! I don't think so some how, mine started with a bout of thrush which I got rid of quite quickly but has left the same problem as you guys, currently alternating between caneston and moisturizer which calms it down but isn't getting rid of it?

• Posted

hi Simon, my opinion; definately do whatever the doctor suggests

my advice would be to firstly do the basics: dry yourself fully after showers. when you shower use free from shampoo and bodywash. dont start washing down there excessively. avoid masterbating for the time being.

try let you body provide and maintain its own natural moisture down there. excessive moisturising can irritate, but if you need to use it use it sparingly.

try wear loose fitting underwear too

thats my advice, hopefully yours will clear up allright with no complications

• Posted

i had this condition since i was a kid and then got my tip of extended foreskin cutoff at 13 after that the glans was red, sensitive, a bit itchy and little wet always.. so i started cleaning it with water and silk cloth, slowly pulling my foreskin everyday very carefully and slowly and then i started sleeping without any pants.. that somewhat helped me.. im 21 now and it is just sensitive and redish,bluish and functions properly so far.. during sex there is some pain but it makes me last longer XD.. hope this helps

• Posted

I suggest some of us could collaborate on posting a link to this forum thread on other forums/websites where men like us discuss similar health problems, to encourage them to share their story here, so that we get as many people together and finally push for a cure !

• Posted

I agree between all of us with this problem a solution must be out there somewhere maybe we can all post our triggers for making it worse or better? life style? (I personally drink to much whiskey) is it my immune system? diabetes? Psoriasis? contact dermatitis? I have looked into lots of things that it could be and just seem to be hitting a brick wall.

• Posted

The closest thing I think it appears similar to is balanitis, followed by contact dermatitis

I don't think it has anything to do with diabetes in most cases, psoriasis is scaly and quite obvious I don't think it is that

• Posted

i had this condition since i was a kid and then got my tip of extended foreskin cutoff at 13 after that the glans was red, sensitive, a bit itchy and little wet always.. so i started cleaning it with water and silk cloth, slowly pulling my foreskin everyday very carefully and slowly and then i started sleeping without any pants.. that somewhat helped me.. im 21 now and it is just sensitive and redish,bluish and functions properly so far.. during sex there is some pain but it makes me last longer XD.. hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.