Is this duloxetine withdrawal?

Posted , 47 users are following.

I could really use some advice.

I had been on 60mg of duloxetine for about 4 years. Back in April I decided I would like to slowly reduce. I spoke to my GP who supported my decision to slowly reduce and we agreed that I would manage it myself. A friend had struggled with duloxetine withdrawal but I assumed it was because his depression had returned - I didn't reckon on the hell that is duloxetine withdrawal.

I gradually reduced to 30mg daily. In July I was struggling with brain zaps, extreme fatigue, brain fog and difficulty processing thoughts and information. Oh, and RAGE!! This was gradually getting worse and I decided to ring the GP who advised increasing my dose back to 60mg. I asked if she'd heard of patients having problems withdrawing from duloxetine - she hadn't.

That was over a month ago - after an initial improvement it is now as bad as ever. I have an appointment with GP in a few days but not sure they will even acknowledge that my symptoms are due to duloxetine withdrawal.

Any advice/similar experiences would be appreciated.

5 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi to all,

i have be be on cymbalta for 2 years starting with 60mg but went down to 30mg about 6 months ago.  Last Wednesday I took my last one.  I was given them by the doctor who I went to see because of feelings of anxiety and not being in control, of what I need to be so in control of I have no idea for I really do have a great life and nothing to be worried about.  It frustrates me that these feelings of fear and stressing out over small insignificant things seems to have a grip on me.  It sometimes feels like I'm in a situation of being attacked and my adrenaline and fight mechanisms are good to go but only trouble is is that maybe the phone bill was £70 instead of £30 and that's not what I was expecting,  even worse is that I have the money to cover it so why is my brain actually thinking along the lines of there is a zombie apocalypse outside the door?  It's the stress, panic , fear and anger all for nothing? 

Anyhow I decided to come off the cymbalta as I found when I took even a 30mg tablet I felt nauseous and although they have made me a little calmer over the years I just really want to be the best I can be without medication,  as I say I have no problems with my physical health and I have no reason to be anxious so I'm going to control these intrusive emotions and become a calm and relaxed person,  that said I have been to the health food store and purchased omega 3, camomile tea, and travel sickness tablets.

so the horrible side effects so far are firstly the dizziness and head zaps as people call them,  and wow yeah,  they are zapping especially when you make sudden movements,  I try to be careful in work as I feel that i may appear to others as a bit dazed at times however I don't think anyone has noticed.  I had a bit of trouble holding conversations also as I was fuzzy in the concentration pert of my brain.  However I manged my work well but it took more effort than it should. Anyhow if the dizziness goes then I think I'll be grand.  I have been very ratty and snappy with my husband,  I can certainly feel the angry and frustration in there ready to blow,  the cymbalta kept all them feelings dampened,  sure I felt angry but it was never intense not like raw lose control angry that explodes and then ends up in floods of tears only 10 mins later?   But I will be controlling all of that from now on,  I am going to go out and run like a mad dog until the anger, fear and fustration oozes out my pours and all I can see is the silver lining,

coming off cymbalta feels like poo,  I hope in a few days the worst side effects will be over,  doctors are too quick to give you drugs but God help them too as they are overworked and have such a lot of pressure on them everyday and probably think they are doing the best for you,  but deep down only you know what's best for you and if the pills work then great but if you no longer want them then stop taking them whichever way you feel is right for you.  

• Posted

Hang in there with this withdrawal. I have really struggled since I came off it nearly 4 weeks ago and ended up with flu leading to pneumonia. I am reluctant to blame the duloxextine withdrawal as I took it for pain rather than for anxiety so it could just be a coincidence that my health has been so poor since then. But part of me thinks all this is the result of withdrawing from Duloxetine after four months because my body is so sensitive to all forms of medication. I hope that doctors think harder before they prescribe this drug - bearing how hard it is for many to come off. I think a very slow weaning process is probably the only way. It would be nice to have our doctors' support with this process.
    • Posted

Look up the road back some great info and help , l am down from 60 mg to 30 but did it 10 mg at a time ,if done slowly enough you can greatly minimise the withdrawals . I am not quite ready to drop further yet but hope to drop to 20 mg in the next month The hell that is caused by reducing too quickly is absolutely terrible but in my experience the drs don't have a clue , the only way is to research it ourselves and inform the drs that this is the way you prefer to reduce luckily mine listened good luck magnolia. Xx
    • Posted

Thanx Tumtum,  

when I started taking the cymbalta I had diarriaha and sicknes for 2 weeks and I lways though it was because of them as I rarely get ill and never that bad so maybe it affects our immune systems coming off and starting the drug?  I believe it is a very harsh drug but the doctors seem so chilled about it.  The doctors take two weeks to get an appointment with here and when you are in there it just feels like they want to give you something to take and it just seems like they have a decisions tree they follow,  like of example ,  patient feels depressed,  solution - prescribe tablet,  patient comes back next week feels worse -  prescribe stronger dose an so on.  Now if the doctor decided to tell the patient to wait on a list to see a councillor in probably a few months time and that patient them hurts themselves in the mean time then the doctor will be under question and a GP here actually committed suicide after a young girl did so after seeing him and not getting the right help,  imagine what the doctors have to live with if they don't do something it must be a scary profession,  so I think they feel they have to prescribe and follow a set of rules.  Of course this is not what people need but the health service can't simply cope,  I do feel the chemist and the Internet are both more accessible and more helpful at times.

• Edited

Thanks Magnolias,

i tried tapering ring down before and I got from 60 to 30 that way then I was pouring half of the 30 out but couldn't handle it at the time so went back up to 30.  This last few weeks, funny enough I've started a temp job in a pharmaceutical company, I've just thought sod it I want off these tablets,  I didn't like the thought of having to take tablets for the rest of my life I mean I'm 36 and I've coped so far without them so why do I need them now?  I've seen so many horrors about the withdrawal and people going cold turkey but  I think they probably had more serious issues than me to begin and quite possibly serious pain issues too. The doctor has given me something very strong for a problem that is not so huge in the scale of things,  so I think I will only really bare the brunt of the physical withdrawal and on top of that a few angry mood swings.  I mean apart from the dizziness I am A okay atm.  But if that changes I will let you know,  and I've an interview for a perm position next week so I really hope I stay this way,   But definitely researching others experiences and what helps is the way ahead,  I've learnt that keeping the electrolytes up and staying hydrated and also antihistamines helps the brain zaps .  I have been taking travel sickness tablets also lots of omega 3,  multivitamins and valerium all from the health food store so hopefully they are helping,  can't actually tell for sure as I been taking them since last week so wouldn't know what I would be like not taking them, if you know what I mean, oh did I mention my appetite is huge ,  I'm always hungry!  I am so gonna have to go running anyway or I'll be the size of a house soon,  also I don't drink alcohol at all now so thats gotta help things. X

• Posted

You are really clued up veronica well done , my weight seems to go up and down on the duloxetine I so want to lose , but I get mad sugar cravings every night I'm sick of them I've tried everything to try and stop them but always end up giving in to them . I'm not working at the moment been to I'll for the last 2 years but am in the midst of setting up my own soft furnishings business I hope your interview is success full good luck and thank you so much for your reply it feels good to talk to one who knows what its all about hugs magnolia xx
    • Edited

Good luck with your new business,   it's good to be busy especially doing something you like.   It's good news on the withdrawal side of things here,  yesterday I had quite a lot of dizzy spells and head zaps just after midday.  I take my breakfast at half six every morning,  porridge,  2 toast with jam and ordinary tea with just milk,  this is religious every day of my life lol,  I don't think I could survive without breakfast.  Anyhow because I have come off cymbalta 30mg last week,  think Thursday was the last tablet,  here is what I have taken every morning with my breakfast,

quercetin 500mg plus vitamin C is added to them from holland and Barrett ,  apparently quercetin is an antihistamine and I read that this was good a combatting dizziness.

omega 3 fish oil - huge plasticity tablets from tesco

centrum advance - I took these already,  they are a multi vitamin tablet which I always thought were great anyway.

iron - 14 mg - again took these before as I have never eaten meat so found they helped with fatigue.

valerium plus with Passion flower combined from Holland and Barrett-  they are new for the withdrawal and they are meant to keep you chilled out ,  which I have been 95% of the time 

to stay hydrated I continue to fill my 250ml water bottle and drink as much as I can with an electrolyte tablet that dissolves into it,  however I have noticed it has caffeine in it and possibly a lot so I don't add them after lunch time,

finally if I get dizzy and I think it's getting worse I take a motion sickness tablet. From boots.

i guess I probably rattle when I walk lol,

so as as I was saying yesterday I was getting very dizzy and had an extreme lack of concentration,  I also felt I would easily cry just at mundane work stuff, like me making stupids errors and what not.  This was just after noon,  so I decided to take another omega 3, quercetin,  sickness tablet and a full bottle of the electrolyte drink in one down and hey presto the bad symptoms passed within the hour,  I really believe that being fully hydrated is the key to nailing these widrawal symptom.

still craving food ,  mostly rubbish and sweet stuff,  bread with jam,  crisps, chips,  and I've been bloated and full of gas,  with crazy noises coming from my belly and flatulance,  

i have read read also that people get insomnia well for me it's the opposite I went to be at 7 last night slept to 6 am and I am about to go to sleep after this.  I have never had insomnia that goodness as I don't think I could even drive if I have no sleep,  I sleep as soon as I hit the pillow and only WWIII could wake me so I consider myself very lucky.   Coming off the cymbalta I've been more tired however I have started a new job at the same time and I spend 8 hours a day in a position that requires full concentration and checking all the fine details ,  I think it would be tiring regardless of coming of cymbalta,  it's good though as it a job where you don't actually interact with anyone much so no one should notice if I look dizzy or dazed at times.

on the whole so far I'm very glad to give some hope that it hasn't been an overwhelmingly bad experience so far, yes a bit uncomfortable and maybe my own mind believes all these things I'm taking are helping and therefore the placebo effect has maybe kicked in,  who knows?  Or maybe these things I'm taking really are helping which I do actually believe but all I know is thank God im not having it as bad as most of the experiences I've read and I hope maybe that some of the things I've listed and believe has helped can be used by others who are going through this also.

• Posted

Hi veronica

Great to see how well your doing ,I believe the things you are taking are definitely helping and your so right about the water ,I try to drink as much as I can ,I take multi vitamins and I'm gonna try fish oil ,I suffer with terrible psoriasis as well so the fish oil may help with that as well with a bit of luck kill two birds with one stone , I have also read that apple cider vinegar is wonderful for duloxetine withdrawal and also the strangest thing that is supposed to help the dizziness is jelly yes I said jelly crazy or what but they are all worth trying I just wish there was a solution for the sugar cravings at night ,I'm OK all day but come night time and I can't leave the cake and biscuits alone and as for chocolate OMG love it lovely to hear from you again , keep me informed how you are doing and I'll do the same hugs magnolia xxx

• Edited

Hi,

great at news it's been 12 days since taking my last cymbalta.  No more head zaps or dizziness,  cravings for food definitely settled down and I've been out running and start a new job on Tuesday, I actually gave a successful interview on Friday so I firmly believe that the cymbalta is out of my system now and I'm returning to as I was.  My emotions are more raw now,  taking cymbalta without a doubt dampens your emotions both good and bad emotions and of course it was good to dampen out the anxiety and fear feelings however the good feelings were also minimised in intensity.  I do feel irritable at times and very snappy quick tempered but I'm just goin to have to start dealing with that by thinking before i snap,  easier said than done but not impossible.  I will continue to take the vitamins/ supplements as before but not as many as I have been.  I'm staying of the alcohol and it's weird but my I feel strong and determined and successful so everything it's really going great.  I hope anyone coming off this drug gets an experience like mine as some peoples journeys are horrendous but remember some aren't and mine wasn't so it's its always worth a shot if you want to stop.  ❤️

• Edited

I just stopped taking cymbalta 4 days ago without really weaning myself off. I have been doing a liver detox for about 2 weeks so im hoping that helps the withdrawal symptoms. I had absolutely no idea about the severity of symptoms when I did this. I am continuing my liver detox so lots of hot water with lemon, dandelion root and milk thistle. Im tired and dizzy and my stomach has been bothering me a bit but all manageable so far. My ears are ringing more than usual too. I find your post inspirational and know i can do this. I will also follow magnolia and take omega 3 plus other vitamins i will use an antihistamine which will hopefully help my ears and the dizziness. I was on cymbalta for depression and fibromyalgia but I feel stronger now and more focussed so want to be off all meds. Dr approves and is supportive. This forum has been helpful too. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi sally,

I am sorry to hear about your withdrawal symptoms, I was also on duloxetine 20 mg for about 11 weeks, the doc has prescribed me for my stress problems..in the initial phase of this medication, I felt lot of spikes in the back of my head...I shared this thing with my doc..he was clueless...one week back, I suddenly stopped this medication..after stopping it, I felt the same spikes in back of my head(brain) together with ear congestion and eye itching problems...again I visited my doc.. he was again clueless and told me to continue it for more 12 weeks but I 've stopped it....after reading posts on this forum I am bit sure that it was the withdrawal symptoms of duloxetine..I am feeling restlessness( for few hours) from few days which is gradually decreasing day by day. My brain spikes problems are also over ....I am just left with ear congestion & itchy problem...I 'm 27 years old.

• Posted

Hi sally,

I had the same experience. I had been taking cymbalta for a year(60mg) for depression and anxiety. I felt better with this medication a year passed and i was feeling good. I decided that i have to stop cymbalta. my GP reduced my dose to 30 mg for a month then he told me to take a pill a day after the other for 2 weeks then i will get off it. And oh my God... I skiped 2 pills and i had my depression symptoms back (brain zaps,anxiety,insomnia,vomiting.....) I contacted my GP and he told i should get back to 60mg cymbalta.

I took 60 mg for another 4 months. And for a second trial i wanted to wean off it. I took 30 mg for 3 month. Then i had a second relapse same depression symptoms. And as usual my GP adviced me to take 60 mg. I took it for another 2 months then decreased it to 30 mg for 3 months.

Its been 26 days taking a pill a day after the other. Am having insomnia i cant sleep at night, am so nervous, am hating my life. But am not giving up this time i will be strong and i will get off cymbalta.

After i read many studies regarding this medicine i realized that its withdrawal sypmtoms are so tough. No GP explains for his/her patients the risks of the withdrawal symptoms of cymbalta and no GP have a perfect way to get patients off it without any damage. I think we (patients taking cymbalta) should believe that the symptoms we have when weaning off are just withdrawal syptoms and not a relapse of depression.

In conclusion, cymbalta helps decrease depression symptoms but it has disastrous results.i wish i didnt take it and i hope no GP prescribes it to any patient....

• Posted

Hi,

I think have a good solution!

The first time I tried to get off Cymbalta (took 60 mg daily) it was a nightmare, and my doctor had no solution. she just said 'cope with it'. She had no idea how impossible it is to get off this drug. It took me over a year to try and get off of it, with horrible brain zaps and my brain could not cope with it.

I did find a SOLUTION: Apparently there is a drug called Yentreve, which is indicated for women for the treatment of moderate to severe stress urinary incontinence. It has exactly the same ingredient: Duloxetine, and best of all, it comes in 20 mg and 40 mg capsules. So from 60 mg I went down to 50 mg, by taking one 30 mg Cymbalta + one 20 mg Yentreve. After A FEW WEEKS on 50 mg I went down to 40 mg Yentreve. I am still on 40 mg, and I want to wait a few more weeks and then start taking 30 mg Cymbalta and after that continue to 20 mg Yentreve only. I still do not know how I will cope with going down from 20 mg to 0, since there is no in-between dosage. But so far I had no side effects from weaning off, and almost no brain zaps at all. Ask your doctor for the prescription of Yentreve and wean off VERY VERY SLOWLY over a long period of time, so your brain can learn how to function without this drug. I hope this helps. Good luck!

• Posted

For myself I got off it by emptying 20mg capsules down toilet bit by bit. It took about a month. I blame duloxotine indirectly for weakening me so much that pneumonia and sepsis led to four week long hospital stays. I now refuse all symptomatic treatments I'm offered for nerve pain/ small fibre neuropathy.
    • Posted

Yea weaning should be slowly and as u go a step forward cope with it and then go to the next stage. And yes doctors have no Idea how patients can get this drug out of their bodies without a problem. The problem is with the drug itself sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.