Is this herpes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had unprotected oral, and protected vaginal sex with a new partner and then a couple of days later I developed flu like symptoms, then around a week later had burning/itching in the genital area, pubic and anus but not really the penis. Then a week after that I developed burning/tingling lips, I haven't had any obvious lesions or sores, now reading up on these symptoms it points to herpes. Is it common for symptoms to come on in this way or would you expect them to come at once?

I had these symptoms for quite a few weeks but on passing I have developed new symptoms, I seem to get burning/pain sensations in the buttocks and upper thighs, these sensations on the buttocks tend to be in specific spots on either cheek, is this a symptom of herpes? Possibly affecting the nerves? I still get random burning  on the lips still but no sores. 

I'm really hoping it isn't but think it may be, I've tested negative for stds 

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Just to add the person this happened with gets cold sores so must have HSV1
  • Posted

Too vague to say. I doubt it's herpes, but you can test for HSV type-specific IgG antibodies in 3+ months.

• Posted

So he gave you head?? Yea you should get checked out. Not saying it is or it isn't. Better safe than sorry just get checked. 

• Posted

I'm a male, she gave me head yes then we kissed so could have transferred to both areas. 

The burning tingling of lips resulting in no sores, is this a symptom?  

How reliable are the igg blood tests? I've seen it can miss 30% of HSV1? I'm negative for both as I've been tested before this encounter 

• Posted

Yes, it can miss about 1 in 4 (not 1 in 3). However, that is only the HerpeSelect IgG test, so you can try finding a clinic that offers a different test kit. But I doubt you'd be burning and tingling for weeks without a single first lesion to speak of.

• Posted

I'm in the UK so not sure what tests are offered, there seems to one at TDL pathology in London, I've tried contacting them to find out the test details. 

Are there are recommended test that are available that provide better reliability? Also when you say 1 in 4 is that a case of the test misses them so multiple tests would be more reliable as it'd be unlikely to miss it several times? 

• Posted

Also, burning and tingling is this common without developing a lesion? Or would you expect one to be present?
    • Posted

A lot of doctors here won't even do any test without an outbreak because of false positives 

• Posted

I need some form of confirmation as this has been over me for weeks and I don't want to continue with new partners until I can work out what's wrong. When I type my symptoms into the internet it comes up with herpes every time this is why I'm panicking! 

• Posted

I google burning tingling lips and it comes up with oral herpes, I google itching/burning of the genitals and this states genital herpes, I google burning pain in buttocks and thighs and this states herpes again attaching nerves, I'm trying to tell myself it isn't but it's hard when all this says it is! 

• Posted

No, multiple tests with the same kit that missed a true positive will still likely yield negative results, because the same thing that caused it to skip detection will still be present. Better to find a different kit. In the UK, you might be able to find the Euroimmun IgG test kit, which is supposedly much better at picking up HSV1 infections.
    • Posted

Tingling can be herpes, no tingling can also be herpes, and tingling can be other things. I wouldn't get hung up on the tingling.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm struggling to locate another kit as everyone seems to use TDL Pathology which will obviously use the same kit. 

I'm not sure where to go from here I can get a test done and it may be negative but it could be a missed one, I've tested negative for everything else a normal clinic can test for and I've still got symptoms I'm just hoping, I suppose there's not much reassurance that can be given? Other than I've not developed any noticeable lesions? 

• Posted

There's that, plus the fact that you're less likely to be missed (assuming you even have it), given that 3/4 cases are captured. And like I said, the tingling is no guarantee of anything. Could even be due to anxiety. Surprised if you can't find Euroimmun. Are you checking private clinics as well?

• Posted

I will get tested, does this need to be 12 weeks post? Or can I get away with say 10 weeks? 

Yes I understand it could be something else and thanks for trying to reassure me, it's just the itching I've got is focused around the genital area and not really anywhere else so leads me to think it's genital specific. It was a random onset hence why I think there is something wrong rather than anxiety but you may be right. 

Yes I'm trying private clinics as the GUM don't offer blood testing only swabs. 

• Posted

12 wks is conclusive, but 10 wks is also pretty good. Better to wait the full period, though, especially if you're so worried, otherwise you'll convince yourself that the reason you're negative (if you are) is because you tested early.

• Posted

Ok thanks I will get tested at 12 weeks. 

I'm worried because the partner hasn't developed any symptoms that would indicate any other form of infection so I'm convinced this is herpes.

A private clinic in the uk has responded saying "We can offer a Herpes Simplex 1/2 IGG and IGM test, the laboratories we use are world leaders. No diagnostic test is ever 100%, however our test has a diagnostic specificity of around 97% and sensitivity of over 99%."

They haven't divulged the details of the test but is it possible to work out from the figures which one it'd be? Thanks 

• Posted

Sorry that was for a PCR test. 

Following contact further with the lab, they state... I have checked with my colleagues and the IGG test is run on a machine called DiaSorin[/b] LIAISON Analyser and the accuracy is in the high 90'. 

Is it possible to confirm which test is used and its accuracy from this info? I'm just trying to reassure that a blood test will be accurate as these symptoms still keep herpes in my head. 

• Posted

Even HerpeSelect quotes these or similar stats despite missing 1 in 4 cases of HSV1 and having crossreaction issues (HSV2 test). I still don't understand how that's the case. Anyway, you can't tell which test kit it is from that info alone.

• Posted

The test is run on a machine called DiaSorin[/b] LIAISON Analyser and the accuracy is in the high 90s, this came back from the clinic but didn't confirm test. 

• Posted

what is the accuracy of detecting HSV2 with igg blood test? Is this more accurate than HSV1? I.e if I got tested at 12 weeks and the HSV2 is negative how reliable would that be?
    • Posted

Reliable. The IgG test is more reliable for HSV2 than HSV1, especially where the HerpeSelect kit is concerned.
    • Posted

Thanks 

I've convinced the partner to also get a test, she will obviously show for HSV due to cold sores so will be able to determine type hopefully it's HSV1 and not HSV2 as I've read it's much easier to live with HAV1 on the genitals? Will post my results thanks for the help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.