Is this herpes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had unprotected oral, and protected vaginal sex with a new partner and then a couple of days later I developed flu like symptoms, then around a week later had burning/itching in the genital area, pubic and anus but not really the penis. Then a week after that I developed burning/tingling lips, I haven't had any obvious lesions or sores, now reading up on these symptoms it points to herpes. Is it common for symptoms to come on in this way or would you expect them to come at once?

I had these symptoms for quite a few weeks but on passing I have developed new symptoms, I seem to get burning/pain sensations in the buttocks and upper thighs, these sensations on the buttocks tend to be in specific spots on either cheek, is this a symptom of herpes? Possibly affecting the nerves? I still get random burning  on the lips still but no sores. 

I'm really hoping it isn't but think it may be, I've tested negative for stds 

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

what is the accuracy of HSV2 igg blood test? Is this more accurate than HSV1? I.e if I got tested at 10 weeks and the HSV2 is negative how reliable would that be?

I'm thinking that if this is herpes it's possible that this partner has HSV2 genitally and passed it during intercourse as ive heard it's hard to pass HSV1 genitally? How likely is HSV1 passed to the genitals when no cold sore is present as in my case?

• Posted

Feliz knows about the test. I just know I took a blood test never knew about lgG IgM or any or that highs and lows til joining this group. Thought test were more accurate than they are didn't even know about the time after exposure u had to wait to get a test. My doctor never discussed anything with me every thing I learned was online. She told me if I ever got an outbreak call her she write me a script. No info or you should buy this book or read this blog and it was over the phone. 

• Posted

HSV2 IgG test is more reliable and a negative at 10 weeks is a good sign you're truly negative.

• Posted

Thanks, do you know how many it misses for HSV2? 

I should get a result back by the end of the week which will hopefully start to give me some confirmation as to whether this is herpes, with the partner in question also doing a test this will help to define whether it's possibly HSV1 or 2. Is one worse than the other when it comes to obtaining it genitally?

• Posted

The HerpeSelect IgG test catches most positives at 3 months (maybe 3 out of 100 are missed), and the majority after 2 months. HSV2 is easier to transmit genitally and also more frequently recurring.
    • Posted

Ok thanks for the info you've been so helpful, I'd send you a gift if I could ha! 

I'm going out of my mind so decided to do an earlier blood test which I can repeat, this one will be at around 10-11 weeks as I'm on holiday next week so no access to testing, depending on the result if negative I will test again after 3 months to try and confirm, I'd rather pay the money many times and have more of an understanding.

Ok thanks for the info on HSV2, if I am diagnosed as I've said I'm hoping it's HSV1 as most people have this already so this would make it harder transmit even genitally even if they didn't have it? I'm just trying to learn about the virus so I can help others too! 

• Posted

You're welcome! And yes, you're right about HSV1, which is why I agree that it's better to have HSV1 as well.

• Posted

I will just have to await the results of all the tests over the next week or so. 

If I've got it I think the partner has HSV2 down there without realising and passed it on as it was only really after sex I felt bad as we had oral week before with no symptoms but will see, I did use a condom which I know reduces the risk but not by a lot?

• Posted

Not if there was still a lot of genital skin contact, or if the condom rolled up, etc. Incubation period is around a week on average, but can be up to two weeks, just fyi.
    • Posted

Thanks, if I've caught it from a one off encounter then do I consider myself unlucky or is it common to transfer it after one time for example? 

Are there any main symptoms you'd expect from a primary outbreak? I.e is it common that flu like symptoms are present or is this just a maybe? Would you get flu like symptoms if only getting the virus gentially? 

• Posted

Apologies for all the questions! 

I've read that the itching tingling burning isn't necessarily associated with a primary outbreak and that it's only really associated with a secondary outbreak as these are prodome symptoms not primary symptoms, how true is that? Or does these sensations still happen with a primary?

• Posted

From a one time encounter is supposedly not very common, but it can and does happen. Depends if the circumstances are lined up for transmission to occur. Symptoms vary a lot. Flu-like symptoms, burning urination and swollen glands in the groin are common with the first outbreak, less so with subsequent ones. Not everyone gets these symptoms, however, nor the tingling and whatnot. It really varies a lot.
    • Posted

Okay thanks for all the information you've provided. 

I have no idea if these symptoms are herpes, in my mind they are but I pray they aren't, I was negative previously before these encounters. I've just completed a blood test so will likely obtain a result over the next few days, this will be around 10 weeks since last potential exposure, the partner in question is also carrying out a blood test over the next few days so will only probably find out that result next week, I will report back when I know the results and go from there, the wait is agonising. I've had burning buttocks and thighs over the past couple of days which from what I've read can be a sign of a recurrent outbreak, and today the itching, crawling feeling has started again after dieing down for the past week so can I take this as a sign of a recurrent outbreak possibly? If so how long would you expect the burning sensations to last, they've been here and there for around 5/6 days? 

Thanks again! 

• Posted

Hey I am experiencing the same symptoms that you just described. Can you message me, lets chat!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.