Is this IBS (...or allergy, or potential cancer)?? Very anxious

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone, I have been driving myself nuts since going to the GI doc the other day and having to schedule a colonoscopy. I know that there are many reasons for a colonoscopy being performed, but I just keep thinking the worse. Might I also add that I am 25 years old and my grandfather had colon cancer, but not until he was in his 60s. 

This is a summary of my story. Last October, I was having problems with my bowel habits (started going more frequently, wasn't fully emptying myself, gassy and some bloating). This was going on for a couple weeks. Went to GI and they gave me Xifaxin, which seemed to clear up my issues. I had a few episodes since then, lasting only 3-4 days, but then last month it was all of that and lasted for a couple weeks again. Seemed that it was just like the last time in October. It got better and now I am dealing with the same things. Went back to the GI and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy next month. I am so nervous and keep thinking the worse, so any help or information would be helpful. 

Currently, I go to the bathroom a few times in the morning (not diarrhea or constipation, just having frequent BMs that are usually normal amounts), and then go a few more times throughout the day. Sometimes I feel like I haven't completely emptied bowels, so I push and only a little comes out but I know I shouldn't be doing that. Then throughout the day I have some bloating and increased amount of gas. Not really cramping except if I can tell I am holding in the gas. 

Over this whole ordeal, I have not lost any weight. I actually have gained about 7-10 pounds since last October (intentionally). I have not had any blood in my stools (there have been some incidences of blood, but that has been due to continuously wiping and irritating my skin down there). No fatigue or weakness, and no vomiting. I know all of these symptoms would lead my thoughts to be more cancer, so I am thinking I have IBS or something else but I am a generally anxious person and constantly stress about my health and well-being. 

Now I have 5 weeks until my colonoscopy and I know I will be thinking the worst this whole time. 

Sorry this is long, but any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Meant to also add that sometimes I have some mucous in my stools. Not an insane amount, but sometimes I will go to the bathroom just to poop mucous (probably just the gas taking control?)
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy two days ago pretty much the same symptoms and I’m only 24 so I completely understand. They had a biopsy for celiac’s also. Just want to give you some advice for the colonoscopy do not go under the medication Versad amnesia last for days if not months I would just get the pain medication. Also some people of colonoscopies without any sedation At all best of luck
  • Posted

I have similar symptoms as you and have had them for almost 2years..I been to the GI and 2 different Doctors and they just think is IBS and constipation I didn’t think they took me too serious they just said I needed fiber..  Well I’m scheduled with another GI this coming week and I hope he does help me out..I been waiting for 3 months for this appointment. I been stressed out for 2 whole years already thinking the worst..I cry myself out some days thinking it could be cancer and doctors don’t take me seriously..So I think I understand what you are going through.. My symptoms are I go several times in the morning to the restroom no diarreah just sometimes I go pellets. I feel as if I don’t complete my bowels and I usually have mucus in my stool or as I wipe.. Sometimes I think I have to go and it’s only mucus. I get bloated as soon as I eat and I pass so much gas specially at night (doesn’t smell) I get cramps before a bowel movement and also when I have so much gas probably stuck.. I sometimes get pain on my right side of the abdomen..Other than that I don’t have blood or anything like that..I think having yourself a colonoscopy will give you some peace of mind..Maybe it is IBS but it’s better to get tested..I know there are other things that could possibly be..Just have faith that everything will be ok.. Let me know how it all goes for you since we have similar symptoms and praying for the best for you.. Good luck!
  • Posted

Do you have shifting abdominal pain? It may be IBS or disturbed gut flora.  Try distraction techniques such as light exrercise like swimming or walking and concentrate on your hobbies while you wait for your colonoscopy.  Try not to worry because anxiety makes symptoms far worse and there is no point in worrying about things that may not happen. 
    • Posted

Shifting as in what side the pain is on? I guess I would say I do, but I don't really have pain. It's more of just a full feeling. Yesterday it was lower right and now it is kinda on the left side in the middle. What does that mean?

Like it was mentioned, stress and anxiety have probably really made my stomach hate me. I did have a better day today, with a lot of gas but only 2 trips to the bathroom. 

• Posted

I mean pain that moves about your abdomen rather than staying in the one place.  This kind of pain is common with IBS.  Your doctor will explain everything.
  • Posted

It sounds more like IBS or a food intolerance. After your colonoscopy you might like to try the low FODMAP diet, as there’s a whole bunch of foods that can cause your symptoms. Try not to worry, at your age, it’s unlikely to be bowel cancer. Has the doctor told you to eat gluten? They may test you for Coeliac disease and for this you need to be eating gluten daily for at least 6 weeks before the antibodies show up. Hope all goes well for you.
    • Posted

I only ate gluten for a week before they can see the damage from the long run when they run the biopsy and plus a genetic blood test is a lot safer
    • Posted

A blood test is not as reliable as a biopsy when diagnosing Coeliac disease though. With blood tests you can get what is known as a ‘false negative’. 
    • Posted

That is if everyone has followed the exact procedure leading up to their testing, as there are exceptions to this, and in which case, you can get a false negative, and in these circumstances 98% is quite generous - maybe in the states they use a different type of test; In the UK, after you’ve had a blood test, they confirm it with biopsies for which they perform an endoscopy. 

I had undiagnosed coeliac disease for years, and was extremely ill.  At the time, no one told me to keep eating gluten until after my endoscopy.  As a result, that test came back negative. Upon seeing the consultant I was told I would have to subject myself to eating gluten daily for 6 weeks and then they would arrange for me to have another endoscopy.  This is because the antibodies are not produced when gluten/wheat is not present. Following this test, Coeliac disease was diagnosed. 

A lot more is known now about the disease, thanks to Coeliac UK and other organisations that educate people, but it’s still a fact that in the UK, Coeliac UK educate doctors on the disease, not the other way round. 

• Posted

98% accurate is very good.   My celiac blood test came back negative which was a correct result. I was not given an endoscopy.  You are only given an endoscopy if your doctor still thinks you have celiac after a negative blood test.   I have IBS.  I can’t tolerate endoscopies because of the sedation.
    • Posted

Very much correct, before the blood tes they will advise you to eat gluten for a number of weeks and then do it. I have been diagnosed with celiacs also and i feel like crap when I ate and now I know why.  I had 2 positive blood tests for high levels of TGa and I also went under a endoscopy and a colonscopy.
    • Posted

Yes Dana, it’s horrible, and at least you know what was making you ill. There are a lot of people with undiagnosed Coeliac disease and people need to be more aware of it. For the record, I still have IBS, as well as Coeliac disease, but recently did the low FODMAP diet which helped me identify foods which were causing symptoms - of course, IBS can also be caused from stress, but in this day and age, I’m sure there’s not many of us that ate free from some kind of stress. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.