Is this IBS (...or allergy, or potential cancer)?? Very anxious

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone, I have been driving myself nuts since going to the GI doc the other day and having to schedule a colonoscopy. I know that there are many reasons for a colonoscopy being performed, but I just keep thinking the worse. Might I also add that I am 25 years old and my grandfather had colon cancer, but not until he was in his 60s. 

This is a summary of my story. Last October, I was having problems with my bowel habits (started going more frequently, wasn't fully emptying myself, gassy and some bloating). This was going on for a couple weeks. Went to GI and they gave me Xifaxin, which seemed to clear up my issues. I had a few episodes since then, lasting only 3-4 days, but then last month it was all of that and lasted for a couple weeks again. Seemed that it was just like the last time in October. It got better and now I am dealing with the same things. Went back to the GI and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy next month. I am so nervous and keep thinking the worse, so any help or information would be helpful. 

Currently, I go to the bathroom a few times in the morning (not diarrhea or constipation, just having frequent BMs that are usually normal amounts), and then go a few more times throughout the day. Sometimes I feel like I haven't completely emptied bowels, so I push and only a little comes out but I know I shouldn't be doing that. Then throughout the day I have some bloating and increased amount of gas. Not really cramping except if I can tell I am holding in the gas. 

Over this whole ordeal, I have not lost any weight. I actually have gained about 7-10 pounds since last October (intentionally). I have not had any blood in my stools (there have been some incidences of blood, but that has been due to continuously wiping and irritating my skin down there). No fatigue or weakness, and no vomiting. I know all of these symptoms would lead my thoughts to be more cancer, so I am thinking I have IBS or something else but I am a generally anxious person and constantly stress about my health and well-being. 

Now I have 5 weeks until my colonoscopy and I know I will be thinking the worst this whole time. 

Sorry this is long, but any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

All of those symptoms sound like IBS. The first year I got it, I had the same ups and downs that you are having. Then after about a year, the symptons came on full force. Dont stress too much. You are so young for it to be colon cancer. Hang in there, it will be ok.
  • Posted

Okay guys... now I am getting actually pretty scared and concerned.

I just remembered that I had an episode three years ago where one time I went to the bathroom, and after that, I wiped and there was bright red blood on the toilet paper. It was just the blood - no poop remnants. For a couple days after that, I had some blood on the toilet paper and then some small streaks on the actual stool, but it kept decreasing in amount until it was gone after a few days. Then a few weeks later, it kinda came back and then again a month later. The thing with this was that I am pretty sure I was on a medication that made me feel constipated so I could have strained. Also, there was pain right at the hole that first time and I think it might've been a hemorrhoid or fissure. During the subsequent episodes, I felt like the pain was right at the hole again and I felt a palpable bump. I have had many episodes of hemorrhoids over the years, but I think I am now just freaking out about that time three years ago.

Since then, can't really remember a time where I bled like that (though my memory could be a bit blurry), except for irritation from going a lot. Any thoughts on that episode? Could that have been telling me that I had cancer then? I mean, since that time, I have gained 15+ pounds, and never had nausea/vomiting except for a stomach bug and flu. 

Do cancer symptoms come and go like this? I feel like they would have progressively gotten worse, but I don't know...

• Posted

Again most likely a internal hemmoroid, if you had cancer for 3 years you would know
    • Posted

Thanks for the response. And I guess if it was cancer then it wouldn't have stopped or would have continued to get worse, correct?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.