Is this molluscum?

Posted , 3 users are following.

In september I had a 1-minute protected sex session and was interrupted (long story). These bumps appeared on my penis either slightly before this or slightly after, i don't remember. I do remember they finished showing up in a couple days. They do not hurt or itch and have remained benign for these 3 months and no more have showed up. No blistering, etc. I am experiencing no other symptoms of having an STD. I have done some reading and looking at pictures and think it could be molluscum or stress based (school's hard). I do share a shower with 4 people and know molluscum can be transmitted that way too. I wanted some further insight bc my derm is super busy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, we cannot reliably diagnose without a picture. A few possibilities are genital warts, molluscum, or skin tags. If the spots have a pronounced pit or dip in the center and are pinkish then they may be molluscum. Do not have sex until you determine what they are. I recommend seeing a walk in clinic. They will help you. Personally, no dermatologist is too busy to make sure my penis is not contagious.
    • Posted

I put a link to the picture in the comments. It takes you to a different thread with the pic. They are indeed pink
  • Posted

Most likely molluscum. Warts would have grown bigger in 3 months. If you see a white curd or sac in them, then it's reassured. Yes they spread in the shower, but only if you use, the same rag to wash. They spread by touch, then touching another part of your body, sex, unwashed clothes, inanimate objects. They feed off moisture and heat. You can even spread them back to yourself through sex, as they autoinnoculate. Lasts 3-6 months. Goes away always. Depends on individual immune system. Cutterage is the best way, but in your case it would be freezing cause they are on the penis. Don't worry it will not scar. I had lichen nitidus in that area before, and this was frozen with no complications. In your case, if you wear a condom they won't spread, unless they are on other areas too. Seeds not sprouted yet can be invisible on nearby skin, but can still be contagious. This is why Aldara is prescribed, to fuel the immune system and sprout the new molluscums, waiting to come. Yours doesn't look bad at all, especially 3 months in. Will prob go away rather quickly if gone to the doctor now. Your already 3 months In. Prob have one to two outbreaks left after first treatment. Go to the derm and get them frozen  I had molluscum for 6 months all over. Don't use lotion on the area, or shave anyway near it. Use two seperate towels, one for your genitals and one for the other part of your body. Make sure you dry by patting only. Moisture will spread them. I would also masturbate with a condom. Once you touch them, and then touch something else it will go there. Also don't re wear clothes not washed. They will go away completely 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.