Is this my new normal?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

my dr put me on 10mg of pred last Wednesday for PMR, and told me that I'll feel great. Well I don't. In the morning I'm still pretty achey and stiff. It usually takes until the afternoon before I feel better. Is this normal, would this still happen if I was on a higher dose? Some of you said that 10mg is too low to start with, but it seems to be what they do in the U.S. I guess my questions is, would it help to push for a higher dose, or would I still have the morning pain until the pred kicked in? How do you know when you're on the correct dose?

it really helps to read about other people's journey with this, doctors don't seem to have a clue.

thank you

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Annie, I am sure you would feel a lot better if you increased the dose to 15mg or 20mg, the usual starting point. Are you able to do this immediately? Some lucky people have no pain at all with pred but I would say most people have a little. Stiffness in the morning for example.

If the higher dose works that is great, which I am sure it will.  Stay on it a few weeks to get the inflammation under control and then reduce slowly. 

• Posted

I also live in the US and when my GP suspected PMR, he put me on 20 mg, &  I was lucky enough to get in to see a rheumatologist a week later. My symptoms had subsided a little, but not significantly. He upped me to 30 mg and had me report back in 5 days. It helped a little more, but still not to the level he thought it should be, so he upped me to 40 mg and that did the trick. I've been tapering down from that ever since. Just goes to show that everyone's body is different. The worst part about that was that then I started having all sorts of nasty side effects from the prednisone that i had to put up with until I could taper. In the long term, it was worth it.
  • Posted

yep too low to start  try 15.mg  that should do it. if not go up 1mg a ta  time till you get

to 20  but no more thaan that i would  think

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I'll call my dr tomorrow to get an increase in my meds. I couldn't get an appt with a rheum for 2 months so I'm relying on my primary care dr to give me right dose.
  • Posted

Most people I know in the States were started on more than 10mg - as you can see from the responses you have already had. 

Follow this link

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

and in the first post you will find a heading "Bristol paper" - take it to your doctor and ask him to read it. It is a handbook for GPs on how to manage PMR - ot fixed in stone but a place to start and see how the patient responds. 

In the rest of the post you will find links to all sorts of other info sources. In the replies is an explanation of a slow reduction plan.

You start on a dose that is enough to manage the symptoms for most people - really too high. Then you reduce slowly to find the lowest dose that gives you the same effect as that first moderate dose which should be 15-20mg. If you need significantly more then there must be a question as to whether it is really the PMR we discuss here. PMR is not the disease, it is the symptoms of an underlying cause which can be anything from another arthritis to cancer - and that should have been excluded at the start. PMR is a diagnosis of exclusion - you exclude all the other possible options until that leaves PMR.

I do wish I knew what makes doctors think being on pred is the answer to everything in PMR and you will feel great! We disillusioned a few of the top international researchers on that one a year or so ago! No - we don't get to be pain-free and no, we don't feel totally wonderful - next question please!

• Posted

My personal belief is that your dose isn't high enough. I was diagnosed 10 months ago and I'm still not 'down' to 10mg!

I'm currently trying to get from 12.5mg to 12mg - and it's a struggle - I haven't felt this stiff and sore for months.

I'm better in the afternoons too - takes about 4 hours for the pred to really kick in for me.

If wake up in the wee hours I'll take 5mg of my full dose and it starts working by the time I get up - dose splitting - doesn't work for everyone.

• Posted

Hi Annie

Something else to consider is misdiagnosis. Like you, I was put on Pred for PMR and it didn't work. To cut a long story short, they didn't work because the diagnosis was incorrect. Go and chat to your doc about the whole thing, don't just ask for a higher dose.

• Posted

It needs to be high enough a dose before saying it doesn't work - and 10mg is nowhere near high enough a dose to say that. Up to 20mg should be the max but given that even 1mg can make the difference between symptoms being managed well and not being managed at all - that 10mg needs to be added to first.
    • Posted

I hear what you say Eileen, but I think that is for the doctor to decide, he/she must have had a reason to prescribe the lower dose and Annie needs to discuss why with him.
    • Posted

Hello Elaine, the thing is if you are diagnosed with PMR by excluding all other medical conditions then the standard initial dose of preds is 15mgs. Some patients could possibly be fine with 10mgs however the standard starting dose is 15mgs.

i don't know where you live but in England where PMR and GCA is now part of the core medical subjects taught to medical students there is still a huge number of older clinicians that have either never heard of the conditions, never had a patient with either condition and some that simply have no idea how to best treat you with it, and worse still even when they don't know how to treat it are totally unwilling to even look up the Bristol PMR plan to educate themselves about the condition and how its treatment should be approached.

that is where websites like this come in handy because it educates us and gives us an insight as to whether we in turn are receiving good clinical practice.

prior to my diagnosis, I was 52 at the time, my GP even at the point where my husband had to almost carry me into the surgery could not for the life of her think what could be wrong with me. I had to request a referral and within 5 minutes my rheumatologist diagnosed me with PMR. I have since changed surgeries and receive fabulous care from both my GP and rheumatologist. I dread to think where I would be now if I had placed all my trust in that particular GP that simply had no clue. Regards, tina

• Posted

Hi tina, I actually agree with both you and Eileen. My GP was convinced I had PMR and put me on Pred. It did no good. A short while after his diagnosis he retired so my next visit to the surgery meant I saw another GP and she was appalled at how badly I was doing as I should have been at least a little better. She said she doubted it was PMR and did further investigation. She was right. I can only thank my lucky stars that the previous GP retired or I would be still on the pred and trying to come off. I live in the UK. Because of my experience I am wary and don't think it is for us on this forum to tell anyone to increase their meds. Even seeing a different GP at the surgery attended could give a different result. Maybe that is an option.
    • Posted

He almost certainly started with 10mg because he doesn't know the best practice recommendations. What I said in my reply to you was is that if it hasn't responded to 10mg then that isn't a ground for saying it isn't PMR - you can't assume it isn't PMR if you have given the patient only about half of the recommended dose.

No - we don't tell people to "take more", we said that if it is PMR she would probably do better to start on a higher dose and - let's face it - the only way to do that is to discuss it with the doctor who gave the low dose in the first place. 

The Bristol rheumatology group wrote a paper to help GPs diagnose and manage PMR better - most GPs have never read it. I have seen the most amazing range of responses from GPs to patients with absolutely classical symptoms - they didn't even consider PMR. One criterion to diagnose PMR is a dramatic 70% global improvement in symptoms to a moderate dose of pred, 15-20mg. Explained very clearly in the medical literature. It also explains that if there isn't that dramatic response then you need to go back to the drawing board and consider something else. It's called clinical skills - but if the doctor hasn't started off in the right way s/he will get the wrong result as happened with you.

I spent 5 years with PMR because no-one I saw recognised it and I saw at least 3 different doctors at one time or another - and yes, had I seen another doctor in the practice she would probably have recognised it. But she was on maternity leave half the time and only worked part time anyway. She was also the one person in that practice who was perfectly happy to use google to find information - and had her colleagues done the same they might have improved their standard of care. In fact she did teach some of the others how to do that!

We don't tell people anything about dose here that isn't part of the guidelines - the British Society of Rheumatologists have a set of guidelines, approved the world over. You might be surprised how many rheumatologists have blatantly never even looked over them, never mind read them in detail. We won't go into GPs - they don't read their communications about new guidelines either - mostly because they don't have the time. The recommended starting dose for managing PMR is 15mg - and while a dose of 10mg may be enough for some people it is not enough to clear out the existing inflammation for the majority of patients, especially ones who have had PMR for any length of time.

We aim to supply factual information - and provide the justification from the medical literature for the education of healthcare professionals as well patients. And we tell people to make sure the GP did at least some of the exclusion tests as well. Anyone who is on 15mg pred and has only a partial response needs to be tried on 20mg. If that doesn't work then a rethink is needed - but there isn't a lot of point having a rethink when the patient hasn't been treated properly for the illness in question to start with.

• Posted

"let's face it - the only way to do that is to discuss it with the doctor who gave the low dose in the first place"

So we are saying the same thing. It needs to be discussed with her GP.

No offense is meant here Eileen. I was given these horrible steroids incorrectly in the first place. I am very wary as they are so hard to come off. That is my concern for Annie.

• Posted

Exactly - you have a choice of discussing it with the GP, putting your side of the argument, or you find a different GP and try them. However - you can't know you need to do that without being told this approach isn't really best practice and that may be why it isn't working. And where to find the info to back up your plea. I never take offence (and no, I know I'm far from perfect).

If you are struggling to reduce because of steroid withdrawal problems then try reducing in much smaller steps . The usual suggestions for reductions from most doctors are based on having been on pred for just up to 6 weeks - you can do a 6 week taper of 15/10/5, each for 2 weeks with no bother at all. Longer than that and the reduction can be very uncomfortable. REduce in 1mg steps ever 2 weeks and it is likely to be easier - if it isn't, 1/2mg at a time. But don't try big steps - it isn't worth it.

• Posted

Tina, your GP sounds like the one I had before diagnosis of PMR. I had been told originally I had a virus by another GP. I was in agony and told him the symptoms I had of shoulder pain and hip pain, the GP then checked my temperature, ears, throat, BP and listened to my heart. I asked him if it could be PMR and he looked ar me as if I had asked him had I got rabes. He then said it was nothing serious and it would go away. I think the GP in question was fired a few weeks later as he disappeared and anything relating to him disappeared too. His name was whitewashed out and when I asked the receptionist she changed the subject. 
    • Posted

Sounds like me. I saw a dr in the same practice at the beginning of July, and told her it might be PMR. She ran a bunch of tests, but not the right ones. A few weeks later I insisted they run the right tests, and when they came back elevated, she told me to take an aspirin a day. And then it took me a couple of more weeks before I could see my regular dr, who put me on the pred. So she could have prevented about six weeks of misery. Oh, by the way, my dr upped my pred from 10 to 15mg. I'm looking forward to getting my mornings back.
    • Posted

Annie, Are things now much better on the higher dose of pred? I do hope so.  I went for several months of pain having been told I had a virus to start with. They even took blood tests. When I was finally diagnosed by a rheumatologist which I went to privately in desperation my ESR and CRP were off the scale. One really begins to wonder sometimes. 
    • Posted

I just added the higher dose, so we'll see in the next few days. My sed rate was slightly high, but my CRP was really high, and nothing was done until I got on the phone in tears and demanded to see someone. The receptionist even told me not to yell at her.  I still had to wait two weeks. I was ready to drive my car into the river. They don't seem to realize how painful this disease is. Too bad I don't have a famous name, i wouldn't have had to wait a day. Haha.
    • Posted

Hello anniecurd and Ptolemy, this is just one thread and yet the 3 of us went through a lot to get a proper diagnosis. I went for almost 4 months undiagnosed. In the end I had to sleep alone as I couldn't bare to have my husband sharing the same bed, that's how much pain I was in. I was lucky if in the last month I had 2 hours sleep a night.my rubbish GP told me to up my ibuprofen even when I told her that they did nothing for the pain and stiffness, she then prescribed gabapantin, again no response. After a week of those tablets I went to see her again and she asked me why I simply hadn't upped the dose? When I replied that I wasn't a clinician and I didn't know I could she tutted. When she told me that for the life of her she couldn't think what could be wrong with me, I screamed at her and said, well if you don't know what's wrong with me bloody well refer me to someone who will!

anniecurd you say that you were so desperate you wanted to drive your car into a river, well that's how I felt to. I sorted out my will, and batch cooked and froze meals so that if I died then my husband would have plenty to eat in the short term. I can laugh about it now, how dramatic was I?! But at the time the desperation one feels is overwhelming.

well I'm now down to 7.5 and so far so good. I'm almost totally pain free and suffer few side effects, I think I've got off pretty light when I read some of my fellow sufferers stories. I hope you both are chugging along slowly but surely and I hope anniecurd the additional 5mgs makes a difference. All the best, tina

• Posted

So sad that in this "modern" world of medicine that anyone

has to go through this.   I guess I should get on my knees

and do some thanking for my Primary guy who watched,

me try to get up out of a chair (struggled) and did a sed

rate right then.  It was 92....... I'm 78 and would rather

not spend what time I have left in pain.....I hope the relief

continues as we all try to cope with this disease.

• Posted

Hello Faye, how right you are. I also had to have my bloods done privately as the surgery didn't consider a 6 week wait a long  time for non urgent bloods! Lucky I had them done as when I went to see the rheumatologist he had blood results to refer to and if I'd waited the full 6 weeks he would have had nothing to refer to. When I told him my story he was disgusted and wrote on my record that he wanted me to have bloods done every 6 weeks. He is absolutely fantastic and has treated me pretty much in line with the Bristol pmr plan and then following a flare attempting to reduce from 9-8mgs agreed, after I requested, for me to now reduce by the dead slow and almost stop method. As for my new Dr surgery, they are great. I am very lucky. Faye I do hope that you also are improving even if it's a slow process, hopefully we'll all get there in the end. Regards, tina
    • Posted

It took 5 years for me - and, having spent many hours on the internet, I took the dx to my GP. Who still um'd and ah'd and referred me to a rheumy rather than do anything himself. He'd have been better telling me to see his colleague as the rheumy was also unable to recognise textbook PMR - other than being "too young" at (by then) 57 with normal bloods. But he DID "allow" me to have 6 weeks of pred - 15mg worked in under 6 hours but he ignored that bit of the jigsaw.
    • Posted

I am so glad my GP referred me to rheumatologist when after 5years of painkillers I was on max dose. (my symptoms started at 40).Rheumatologist diagnosed PMRwhen I was 45.12years on am on 4th flare up and back under rheumatologist as can no longer take steroids.Unluckily my PMR has never gone completely and was told it never would go that I would always have wuiet periods followed by flare ups (also have asthma and allergies so basically my immune system is a tad too active)
    • Posted

You were very lucky in your rheumy, others haven't been so lucky - but it is appalling that the GP waited that long, handing out painkillers at a high dose, before referring you. There was actually a high chance it could be RA and treatment for that is best started immediately. No doubt your rheumatoid factor was negative? Not that that means much. Just a piece in the jigsaw.
    • Posted

Sorry did I say painkillers I should have said NSAID (mind you not allowed those anymore ss they did not agree with my kidneys).Yes my rheumatoid factor test was negative but my ESR was high-infact GP got it redone as he thought there might have been an error but it came back the same.When GP ran out of ideas he did refer me and care since then has been excellent. Have just been started on methotrexate so just have to keep om tramodol and paracetamol till it kicks in
    • Posted

In my book the terms NSAIDs and painkillers are pretty much interchangable - but they are also serious drugs with serious side-effects as you have found. Even ibuprofen (NSAID) and paracetamol (not) are both available OTC but both can quite quickly make you seriously ill even at the recommended doses. 

The purpose of a GP is to recognise what they can manage themselves and send you an expert when they aren't able. If they don't find an answer fairly fast then they need to ask someone else for advice. Too many don't know where to draw the line unfortunately. 

• Posted

Hi NSAID's have a degree of anti inflammatory action whereas straightforward painkillers eg paracetamol just trick the brain into thinking you are not in pain or atleast make it bearable
    • Posted

No I am not struggling anymore. This happened to me over a year ago. I am fine.
    • Posted

No I am not struggling. This happened to me more than a year ago. I am off them and I am absolutely fine.
    • Posted

I know the pharmacology - but my comment stands! I said "pretty much" and NSAIDs don't have one half the punch of other antiinflammatory drugs. They should never be used long term unless there is nothing else - and a GP doesn't have access to the armoury that a specialist does. Paracetamol is fairly useless even as a painkiller - plenty of evidence to back that up - and really isn't at all good for one's liver!

One lady was persuaded by her GP that it was fine to take the maximum dose on a permanent basis for the pain in her hands. Two months later he was in a flat panic because her liver enzymes were raised - enough to send her for an emergency liver scan. It was fine - stopping the paracetamol brought the liver enzymes back to normal. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen,as a past pharmacist married to a current one I am always very careful with drugs especially with one's such as paracetamol that can be used quite easily for committing suicide due to their side effects. Hence my serious thought about methotrexate but since some of the potential fatal ones will be picked up in blood tests decided to try it.Good luck with your journey.
    • Posted

It's a shame others don't feel the same! Like me you do at least know about the potential problems - shame some of our erstwhile colleagues weren't as careful.

I do hope your journey is reasonably plain sailing too.

• Posted

Thanks, me too just not to be in pain 24/7 will be a bonus though I must admit 10mg amitryptiline has improved my sleep quality without feeling like a zombie. Good job as I have to get up 4.40am to get our adult autistic son off to work mon-Fri as his factory shift starts at 6am.I am now an expert at early afternoon napping LOL
    • Posted

Gillian if you ever want to commit suicide don't use paracetamol!! A very nasty death. There was something on TV the other day about using charcoal to get rid of the toxicity for paracetamol overdoses, I then discovered that charcoal 'smoothies' are now being offered in London as a health drink. I am not going to try them, they probably cost a fortune anyway and taste of grit! 
    • Posted

I would never commit suicide,I do not have the "courage"to do so.Thank goodness I have never had depression;it must be awful.At one time a sure method without being revived was paracetamol plus distalgesic plus alcohol. (They no longer make distalgesic-one of the reasons it was discontinued was its propensity of being connected to suicides).At the time "normal" users were a tad disgruntled
    • Posted

Forty years ago I watched a young woman die who had tried that sure method after a Hogmanay row with her man. Bottle of vodka, lots of paracetamol and distalgesic. We had no idea how she woke up but she did - that amount of distalgesic should have been a fait accompli. It wasn't and she spent the next 6 weeks in ICU watching herself dying. She no longer wanted to but there was no way back.

I saw her every day. It was enough to put you off ever taking even one paracetamol again and anyone who suggests that the max dose over a long period is fine is told what I think. The line between max dose and overdose is too narrow. 

• Posted

How awful for you.Trouble is when people do It as a cry for help they do not realise their actions can result in an unpleasant drawn out death-so sad
    • Posted

I remember many years ago my brother was product manager for distalgesic and there was something on TV announcing that it was the twenty seventh most popular way of killing yourself, I hate to say it but I think he was quite proud that his product had made it to tv. Mind you he says his method of committing suicide is a bottle of whisky and a gun. 
    • Posted

As Dorothy Parker said:

Razors pain you,

Rivers are damp,

Acids stain you,

And drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren't lawful,

Nooses give,

Gas smells awful.

You might as well live.”

• Posted

The trouble with that is that if you have drunk too much you might miss.

If we stay here I shall take a mobility scooter out on a cold night - overnight at -15C (or colder) should do the trick...

• Posted

I think my brother was going to have a party with lots of people with guns and bottles of whisky! A new take on Dignitas. The Romans used to ask a doctor along to cut their femoral artery while in a warm bath, which is supposed to be painless. 
    • Posted

It is a good job we are well balanced or else we would be making the news as a rash of suicides God forbid LOL
    • Posted

Hmm - hardly Dignitas though is it? Whatever you do it is the poor paramedics you have to feel sympathy for.

I suspect there is a small group of people here who have been far too close to the NHS in their lives...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.