Is this normal

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the group I had bunion surgery on Wednesday 26th march my surgeon broke my toe in 2 places I have it bandaged and a raised shoe and crutches , I have pain on the top of my foot , has anyone on here had stronger painkillers than codeine phosphate, ibuprofen and paracetamol , it doesn't seem to be helping much , I have to return in 2 weeks to have my stitches removed and have the dressing changed , does anyone know how long it will be o return to work I'm a delivery driver, I have to have the same procedure on my right foot , I'm not sure how long they leave it for the next operation any ideas , thanks

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Happyface. I was given paracetamol and tramadol post surgery but found the tramadol made me vomit and I had dizziness. You will have pain to start with but hang on in there and keep that foot elevated above waist height. It is extremely important you do this because as soon as you lower the foot it will throb like mad and also if you don't keep it elevated it will also delay the healing of the wound/stitches. It is a bit of a chore having to do these things but it is so important. I had my dressings changed at 2 weeks and 6 weeks post op and was instructed to take them off at home at week 8. I had my K-wire removed from the hammertoe at the 6 week appointment ( if you've had that done as well) . Regarding your driving. I tried my car after the 8th week and once all the dressings were removed but didn't feel too confident as my foot ( my left/clutch pedal foot)did feel quite bruised underneath when I put pressure on the pedal. So, I left it another week before having another try. It was much better and I did have a short drive around the streets near to my home. This meant I could be near home if I needed to abandon the car due to discomfort. I also found I'd lost a bit of confidence and so I didn't want to be going too far to start with. You may like to consider that you must notify your insurance company that you have had this surgery carried out. It is standard practise and my consultant actually told me at my 6 week appointment that I needed to notify them. This only seems to apply if you drive a vehicle which has manual transmission. It doesn't seem to apply to automatically controlled vehicles. I advise you to check this.

At 17+ weeks post op I can now say that my foot is greatly improved but I do still feel there is bruising under the big toe/bunion joint and I need to make sure I get my seat position and foot positioned correctly before I set off on a journey. I also find that my foot lets me know when it's done enough as it starts to ache.

I feel for you having a driving job as I fear that it will be many weeks before you may be able to resume working again. I do hope that you have an understanding an accommodating employer.

I managed to print off information sheets on Hallux Valgus and 2nd Hammertoe Correction Surgery from the NHS Royal Orthopaedic Hospital website. It's very informative and I found it extremely useful. My consultant also echoed just about everything this document mentioned. So, it must be correct.

G

• Posted

Hi Gillian, thank you for the info I will take a look on the web site you have mentioned , my supervisor at work has it in his head I will be back at work in 6 weeks , but like you have mentioned I don't think I will feel confident with that , I can do up to 70 + miles a day and up to 90 deliveries so I really don't think my foot would stand that amount of pressure , I will mention this when I go for my post op appointment in 2 weeks time , I think I have the elevation correct as it feels much more comfortable , I think it's just getting used to sitting around is the frustrating part , the pain isn't quite as bad today so hopefully I'm over the worse part, thankfully it hasn't put me off having the right foot done ,

Thanks for the advise

• Posted

Hi everyone and particular welcome to the newbies on here. I've nothing helpful to add to what's been said really. Patience rest and ice are the most important things. Having gone thru all this, don't put your recovery at risk by doing too much too soon it really isn't worth it.

I had scarf osteo on both feet on 28 feb. Am trying not to walk on the sides of my feet so much and my big toes really hurt. That's the main pain area apart from the incisions which are numb and highly sensitive at the same time so tho I can now fit my trainers the rubbing on the scars makes it impossible to walk

My son is running the London marathon in two weeks and my husband has promised to get me there somehow

We will have to find a way if getting a wheelchair to the finish line because I can't imagine I will be able to walk too far in two weeks' time!

This site has been invaluable to me, so many lovely people posting to keep in touch which lessens the lonesome ness if long days and sharing experiences is also helpful

• Posted

Oops posted too soon. So keep posting and sharing, keep elevating icing and resting. Some days I don't get up properly til mid day. I get up do a couple of things and go back to bed because it's comfy most of all and in have everything around me that I need. The biggest challenge for me is to keep resting because it's tempting to do more when you can walk more easily. Occasionally I still take codeine at night if my feet throb. The swelling is round the incision sites and I think will take several more weeks to subside.

All the best everyone. VJ

• Posted

My surgery to both feet was also 28th February - I ride a motorbike for fun and have an 8 day biking trip to Normandy booked for 20th June- doing everything I can to make sure I make it!! The way things are going it won't be actually physically walking and using my foot as I should, it'll will be how long I can actually be vertical before the swelling gets too much but every day it's better.

I am now trying very hard to walk 'normally' (and barefoot) rather than on my heel/side of my foot since I was advised by the chap at the orthotics dept to do so. He said this will help with the flexibility in my foot which it certainly has over the last couple of days- I have far more movement in my big toes now. My operation site is numb still (been like that for years) so it's really only swelling sensation I have to deal with under the toe and ball of my foot.

I cannot emphasise enough- keep your feet up !! smile

• Posted

As I previously said I am dreading my surgery on Monday coming. My husband has taken the week off work to help me. My parents have asked me if I would like to join them on the Saturday in their caravan if I sit with my leg up for a few days. Do you think I am being optimistic if I say yes ?
  • Posted

Elaine. You will be fine. It is painful of course. First week you really won't want to do/move much apart from bathroom and going to bed. Re the caravan, see how you go. Change of scene will be great but you will need to consider the journey there. You won't want to sit with your feet down in a car, I can assure you that's very painful for the first few weeks. We went out to dinner at two weeks and after 5 minutes I had to ask for a chair to put my feet up. If I can help more you can private message me. I feel I'm repeating myself with what I post these days.

Beau - twin op days you and me! Yes I'm doing barefoot indoors and the cold bathroom and kitchen tiles are like icing with the peas! Wonderful :-) outside tho is a whole different ball game. Only footwear I can walk in are my ugg boots and not far as they constrict where it's still swollen I guess.

Happy days 👣👣👣👣👣VJ x

• Posted

That's for your advice Vj. I was going to travel in a big 4 wheel drive on the back seat. Obviously I can't predict how much pain I will experience (I have been through childbirth twice) I think I am trying to cling onto things to look forward to. Going shopping today as I know I probably won't be doing that for a few weeks. .... just got notification today from the Electric Board that they are carrying out urgent maintenance on our road so the day after my op. No electric from 8 am to 5pm ..... so I better get prepared. Thanks again
  • Posted

Elaine- I'd been expecting the worst (4 lots of childbirth haha) and was pleasantly surprised- as said before the worst bit is about 24 hours after surgery so make sure you dose yourself up in anticipation! You will probably manage ok at the caravan - just make sure there are plenty of pillows/cushions to get yourself comfy, and plenty to keep you occupied (tv, reading, knitting etc)

I found it was being sat with my feet up that gave me most discomfort - not my feet but in my back- especially in the same position for too long. My surgeon advised the 3 'T's' - every hour get up and move about for just 5 minutes for either tea, toast or toilet. Best advice ever! I had both feet done so had a walking frame which was a godsend till I mastered the penguin hobble. Hardest bit is learning how to get up to your feet from sitting, first day or so I needed a helping hand from somebody in front to pull myself up at my own pace but after that got it sussed. I dispensed with the frame by about day 5.

It really isn't that bad- easy for me to say, everyone is different. I had some help for the first 3 days but apart from that I've coped ok. Two kids at home but at school during the day, friends have helped out with dog walking and a bit of housework etc and I got my food shop online. I haven't starved, can manage to make some cereal and a sandwich, tea etc and then in the evening I sit on the sofa and peel potatoes etc calling out instructions to my daughter in the kitchen next door lol. Make the most of any visitors to put washing on/peg it out or push the hoover round smile

• Posted

Hi Elaine. I'd endorse what beau says. I've had three children that was harder I promise you!

We hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross. It's been a godsend inside and out. It meant I could get round downstairs when home alone and has made the few outings much easier. It meant I could manage some shopping when my daughter came to visit, you will need to get out occasionally to stop the cabin fever but pace yourself and make sure u can put those feet up. Even on the car dashboard as one person has mentioned. Elevation is key specially in the first few weeks. Enjoy your shopping today. It's sunny here spring is back at least for the weekend so think about how you might be able to sit awhile in the garden too.

You will be ok all of us posting and there are a few bunion forums you can read, have survived and retained their sense of humour too. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing. 👣👣VJ

• Posted

Thanks Beau and VJ for you advice. I feel slightly more optimistic x

• Posted

Having had both feet done I'd also endorse borrowing a wheelchair , and just be prepared for waking on day one at home, and the urgent need for the bathroom , I found the drip that I had meant that my bladder kept filling so close proximity to the bathroom was a must for me and the use of the wheelchair to get me there in double quick time but if you are having 1 foot operated on you are likely to be more mobile.

I'm on day 17 post op and had lunch out for the first time, with both feet up on a chair , not ideal but great to get out and about!

Good luck on Monday it really will be worth it!

S

• Posted

I'm on day 4 post op and my ankle has a lot of bruising , I was elevating all day yesterday and my ankle was swollen , the pain doesn't seem so bad until I put my foot down and then it feels like someone is banging it with a hammer , also pain around the ball of my foot .
  • Posted

Hi All

Happy Face

If you can cope with ice around your feet while they are elevated that might help to reduce the discomfort especially with good pain relief.

I'm now on day 18 and providing I still keep my feet up for the bulk of the day life is far more comfortable when I walk, although I now find that the Velcro hospital shoes are rubbing on my feet and making them sore despite the soft socks so I'm now hobbling around with large bootie style slippers with good cushioning indoors, much easier .

I am a little worried about the amount of time I must take off from work although having just one operation and one General anaesthetic in a 12 month period with the long term benefit of getting both feet done is keeping me upbeat.

Enjoy the sunshine today everyone and that extra hour of daylight ( I say everyone but realise that we are not all on the same continent :-)

S

• Posted

Happy Face. At this stage you really don't want to put your feet down at all apart from going to the bathroom. Ice is very helpful. Mine's a bag of peas bought specially (!) and I wrap in one or two towels so the cold isn't unbearable. So feet up, no need to be the hero, let others care for you as much as you can and rest rest rest. It does pay off and yes putting your feet down makes them feel like they will burst, for me for quite a few weeks (30 days now) you will get bruising and swelling on your soles and other toes, any many places you wouldn't expect. Take arnica 30 if you have some or can get some, that will help with the bruising.

Remember this is major surgery and you won't recover quickly, the more you rest, the better your recovery.

Read some of the other forums on this site, there's loads of info to be gathered from what people have posted. Good luck and let us know how you are doing 👣👣👣might be back in these sometime 👠!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.