Is this normal

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the group I had bunion surgery on Wednesday 26th march my surgeon broke my toe in 2 places I have it bandaged and a raised shoe and crutches , I have pain on the top of my foot , has anyone on here had stronger painkillers than codeine phosphate, ibuprofen and paracetamol , it doesn't seem to be helping much , I have to return in 2 weeks to have my stitches removed and have the dressing changed , does anyone know how long it will be o return to work I'm a delivery driver, I have to have the same procedure on my right foot , I'm not sure how long they leave it for the next operation any ideas , thanks

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well my wee bag is packed. 8 am got to be in tomorrow. I know I'm first on the list. I will feed back the info once I'm though the other end :-(
  • Posted

Good luck Elaine , you will be fine , just think it will all be worth it , we will be waiting here for you to hear how you are getting on x
  • Posted

You will be fine- just stoke up on the pain killers from tomorrow night - even if you have no pain- get them building in your system for when the nerve block wears off- trust me on this- and then take them like clockwork. By about day 4 I didn't need anything at all but that bit 24 hrs post op was grim till I got some big boy painkillers working their magic- a good combination of 2 types worked for me. Do let us know how you go- hope you'll be pleasantly surprised smile
  • Posted

Thanks everyone ... its nice to talk to people who know exactly how you feel and give sound advice ... I shall keep you posted wink
  • Posted

Good luck you'll be fine and were all waiting here to hear from you! 👣
  • Posted

Good luck Elaine-take the pills and elevate. Let us know how it went.

E

x

• Posted

Well I have had it done. He never gave me a nerve block though. So I was first in theatre at 9 am I have just taken some Tramadol and i'm gonna stagger the Paracetamol 8 a couple of hours. Thanks everyone for your words of support. On my discharge it says I had scarf procedure & akin. Weils 2nd and 3rd Mt joints and excision of neuroma.

• Posted

Welcome back Elaine , just keep taking the painkillers , I had scarf ostectomy just take all the advice these lovely people on here give you and keep your foot elevated
  • Posted

Hi Eileen

Glad to hear you got through the op ok hope you sleep well tonight

S

• Posted

Sorry I meant Elaine :-(?
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, Just be aware that Tramadol can make some people feel awful. It did me. I was very dizzy and it made me vomit. I found after 3 days post op that as it had such side effects I left it alone and instead just took the paracetamol/ibuprofen. My GP told me I'd done the correct thing and even said he prescribed Tramadol with great caution owing to its unwanted side effects. He said He didn't like it. So, if you get any of the symptoms I mentioned it could be the Tramadol.

Take care.

G

• Posted

Hi, I had scarf osteotomy and two hammer toes operated on last Wednesday 26th March, had been on here looking at recovery times and advice prior to my op, as have had no information from hospital or surgeon about anything other than what could go wrong! Found it really useful so decided I would sign up post op to get help and support from all you lovely people going through similar things! So here I am, I don't seem to be in a huge amount of pain (fortunately!) but seem to be getting pins and needles a lot! Am also getting very bored and tired and trying hard to be patient, and not do too much! Anyway, here I am!

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Today I got out of bed and had very little throbbing in my foot. This is my 12th day after Bunionectomy surgery and if feel great, just feels like a little pressure in my foot. Sooooo.... I did some heelWalking and was so excited to have no pain! Will take it slow though and elevate and ice as often as I can.

Looking forward to 2nd dressing change on Wednesday. Will do preop oonsent for left bunionectomy then. Will keep you all posted! I'm so happy.....

• Posted

Thank goodness for all of you! I am so happy to have found a current thread! First, best wishes to all for as comfortable and fast a recovery as possible and for the patience we all will need during the process. Here in Toronto, Canada on March 26 I had a Chevron Osteotomy bunionectomy and a 2nd toe hammertoe correction. I had two surprises. The first was that my foot was not frozen upon awaking in the recovery room (they were supposed to put me to sleep and inject freezing around the ankle) and the second was that as many of you have said the most uncomfortable pain only lasted about 48 hours. Thankfully I tolerated Percocet well and it was super in controlling the pain alot ! After 48 hours needed only Tylenol and Advil together to control discomfort and as of today Advil alone does the trick and need it only once or twice a day.

This may be a silly question, but I would love to know the techniques you all are using to ice the elevated foot. Anyone who wants to message directly please feel free! Would love to compare notes with anyone who has had surgery around the same time. confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.