Is this normal

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the group I had bunion surgery on Wednesday 26th march my surgeon broke my toe in 2 places I have it bandaged and a raised shoe and crutches , I have pain on the top of my foot , has anyone on here had stronger painkillers than codeine phosphate, ibuprofen and paracetamol , it doesn't seem to be helping much , I have to return in 2 weeks to have my stitches removed and have the dressing changed , does anyone know how long it will be o return to work I'm a delivery driver, I have to have the same procedure on my right foot , I'm not sure how long they leave it for the next operation any ideas , thanks

0 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hiya from the UK. I use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel or two if necessary. After a few uses they may need a few minutes to de-ice before you use them. Resting is your main focus for the next few weeks :-) I'm at day 31 now. Sorry to say I had a really bad night because I did too much walking yesterday. A good warning so I've been far more careful today.

I endorse previous posts on tramadol too, be wary anyone using it.

Good luck in your recovery. VJ 👣👣

• Posted

Thanks so much for the super quick reply VJ! Where exactly do you put the bag...right on the foot on top of the thick bandage with an elastic? Sorry to hear about the bad night 😢 I look forward to getting to your stage !
  • Posted

Just put where its most needed. A big bag will cover quite a large area. I sometimes put it between my two feet on the incisions and flop it one way or the other if that makes sense. Just do what feels right for your feet but don't overdo the ice. :-) 👣👣

• Posted

Hiya bunion begone I am also in the uk and the tip using the ice is great , I also put bag frozen peas in a bag and wrap in a tea towel the relief is lovely , I have been on my feet too much today and your foot certainly tells you that it's too much , I'm so pleased I wasn't given Tramadol I was given codeine , but I only take 1 3 times a day rather than the 2 at a time , so I still have some hopefully to last me ,
  • Posted

Hi Al

Perhaps even two bags of pease on both feet as everyone says the relief is amazing.

I do agree that Tramadol isn't a very nice drunk to use as pain relief due to the nausea and dry mouth , but for people like me who cannot take codeine it did help for the first 4 nights .

I also wondered how long people have kept their 'lighter' dressings on I've been advised to keep it on for a total of two weeks although I find it a little tight on the outer side of my foot but I guess that's because they swell during the day.I'm on day 19 now and things are going pretty well, I'm not pain free but I am far more 'able'

Good luck to anyone earlier in the process as VJ often says it does get easier

S

• Posted

Thanks alot for the replies about the icing folks. Lucky for me I am able to stay off my feet as much as I need too (live alone) and my knee walker has been a help beyond my greatest expectation. Sending you all a healthy dose of patience and wishes for a comfortable day 😊
  • Posted

Day 1 post op. No ankle block so started taking tramadol and paracetamol and ibuprofen staggered straight away. Pain comes in waves but it's not as bad as I thought so far. Early days I know. Elevated the foot all day and will do for a couple of more days. Thanks for all the advice given because I never got any instructions from the hospital. I will keep you all posted
  • Posted

Hi there Elaine! As many of us have experienced the first 2-3 days are the worst and each day gets better. Which surgery did you have done? Hang in there ! Wishing you as much comfort as possible in these first couple of days. confused .
  • Posted

Just letting you know it's day 7 post op and haven't needed any painkillers today , I'm really hoping the worse is over ! No pain when I put my foot down either , can anyone tell me how it feels when the stitches come out , have to wait another week for that thanks
  • Posted

Day 2 post op. Pain still comes in waves. Tramadol and paracetamol and ibuprofen really helping. Still not ad bad as I initially thought. Keep you all posted x
  • Posted

Hi again!

Hang in there Elaine. Tomorrow will be even better! It's so encouraging when you start to feel the lessening of the Big Pain and can start reducing the heavy meds slowly. Those meds make you feel so awful. Hope your day is a comfortable as possible.

Yoohoo Happyface! Isn't the 1 week anniversary just great? I am exactly there too. I understand taking the stitches out can be uncomfortable so I will take Tylenol before my appointment on April 7th. I now find I need Advil once or twice a day depending on how much I am on the foot. Was able to do some mat exercises last night which felt great and had no ill effects.

Comfort and patience to all ! 😃

• Posted

Good to hear everyone is doing well. Felt quite good yesterday, minimal pain, hardly any painkillers, so took it upon myself to bake a cake today . . . . . am regretting it now, foot stings like mad, and am back on the ibuprofen and cocodamol and feet up! Serves me right for being too independent and not listening to the jolly good advice on here! Just one thing, I seem to be sleeping for England, about 10-12 hours a day, is anyone else experiencing this, I am normally an 8 hour a night girl, so this is unusual for me?
  • Posted

Eek wonky that wasn't a good idea! I'm nearly at five weeks - at four I cooked a simple dinner but even that length of time on my feet was too much. Please take it easy and don't rush yourself, you're only a week on from major surgery, and this is major surgery! Be kind to you and rest. We are supposed to be feet up 90% of the time for the first six weeks. Don't jeopardise your recovery, only you can pace it. Lecture over, take care V 👣👣
  • Posted

Ps Elaine. It will get a bit better each day/week. Maybe take some pics along your recovery path. Each Friday I look back a week and see how it has changed since then!
  • Posted

Sounds as though you are doing wonderfully well Elaine just don't be tempted to over do it I still have to ice every evening before bedtime and I'm at the 3 week stage, just one more week of these dressings . I have dissolvable stitches although the knots had to be snipped off last week and the ones in between the toes did make me flinch, so having some good painkillers before the visit to your surgeon, doctor or clinic is a great idea and if you have to wait a while to see them - as I did last week without anywhere to elevate having pain killers in your system helps a good deal.

Can I just ask if anyone has been able to wear shoes yet? And what type have worked for you? I'm thinking ahead to week 6

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.