Is this normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have serious problems concentrating. Im recently ended a job and started a new job in a solictitors firm and messed it up and now im trying to find a new job but Im really struggling. I feel useless at everything and cant motivate myself to see reason. im really scared and cant talk to anyone. im turring 50 and I know Im going throw the change. can this be normal and will it pass

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Yes it's completely normal. There are a lot of threads on the menopause forum with great information but you need to decide what you want to do. Do you want to go down the HRT route or just cope with it naturally? Go and speak to your GP and look at the options available. I did because I had a very stressful job where I had to be on the ball constantly, went onto HRT and never looked back. Take care
  • Posted

Hi Matron

HRT is worth a try. I feel alot better knowing Im not going mad. I guess I will have to ride it out. Many thanks to you for your reply

• Posted

Hi, yes it is normal but you can get through it, either with HRT or by trying natural remedies. Many of us on here have taken others advice and have gone the natural route. I take B6, B12 and vitamin E and my symptoms have definitely improved. There are many to choose from for various symptoms but have a read through this forum before deciding what to do. Everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you. Obviously, HRT is an immediate fix-for-all but personally, I prefer the natural route. However, it is trial and error and you have to be patient. You won't notice any changes straight away. 

GPs aren't very sympathetic when it comes to the menopause, unless your doctor is a woman who has been through it or is going through it herself. Most docs just think hot flushes, insomnia, irregular periods. If you keep in touch on this forum, you will see there are many other peculiar but often vague symptoms. Somewhere on here is a list of 66 symptoms of peri menopause and I can add at least one more to it.

I've had a similar year to you, job wise. I've had trouble finding work and when I did eventually find a job a few months ago, I couldn't stick at it for more than a week. I'm crossing my fingers for a better year next year.  I'm 48 so I have to sort out a solid career now, so that I can be secure and happy until I retire. I've applied to do a degree course so hoping that will give me some direction. I'm getting too old to be constantly job hunting.

This is a very scary time but you're not alone. For many of us on here, we have found strength just from keeping in touch on this forum. I never thought I'd be able to say I'm looking forward to my 50s, so that this horrible time of my life will be over. I know it will pass, but I also know it will take time. It will pass for you too.

Keep strong x

• Posted

I never thought of vitimins. Ive just checked online, its seems alot of people swear by them. Ive decided to give them A try if I can avoid the doctors I will. thanks Lara I really appreciate your help. its a great site I think its the only relief Ive had since all this happened. It is a scary time to be unemployed but im still hopeful, goodluck with your degree!
    • Posted

Hello Lara. Sorry but I have to disagree with you about male GP's being unsympathetic. The only GP who was prepared to repeatedly prescribe my HRT was a man. He is slightly older than me so he probably has a wife who has suffered menopausal symptoms. I also know friends and colleagues who take HRT and they find male doctors much more sympathetic. A lot of gynaecologists are male and their professional body recommends HRT and suggests the lowest dose possible for over 60's. Working in that environment I have yet to see a male doctor refuse HRT unless there are contraindications.
    • Posted

I wasn't talking specifically about male GPs. I recently visited a female GP who was roughly aged 32, I'd say, and she would not accept that there were any other symptoms of menopause other than hot flushes, insomnia and irregular periods. Until she goes through it herself, she won't have a different opinion. Perimenopause is a crazy time and I would not believe the array of strange symptoms if I hadn't experienced them myself. They don't call it the change for nothing.
    • Posted

There's a lady on here called JayneeJay and she is a font of knowledge when it comes to natural remedies. Very helpful lady. She's a former nurse but got through the menopause purely with natural supplements. Of course, it's entirely up to you whether you choose HRT or natural but I would strongly advise making an informed decision. I would also advise visiting your GP to give yourself a broad range of information but GPs will only prescribe medicine that has gone through clinical trials. It is their job to stick to the science route, and thank goodness for it. Personally, I think there are other methods that can help with the perimenopause. As I said, keep in touch with other ladies on here. You will feel so much better for it x
    • Posted

Yes JayneeJay is a font of all knowledge. Haven't seen her posts for a while but yes she got through this with natural supplements...

Good Luck...

• Posted

Well you're definitely not going mad! Most women feel that way at some point in the menopause and there are options out there. I'm a big fan of HRT because in some ways it stopped me from going mad. I'd had a hysterectomy and they had to remove my ovaries in 1991 so I was quite young. I very quickly started to have menopausal symptoms so my GP gave me HRT. Within 2 weeks I felt so much better.
  • Posted

I feel exactly the same as you and think I'm going mad,I can't sleep or concentrate on anything,my job is suffering and I am now getting social anxiety.I take an antidepressant but that has made no difference,I feel I now must go down the hormone replacement route as my sex life is nil and I feel I'm at my wits end will hurt help?
    • Posted

Patricia, read my earlier posts to Enriqueta on this thread. HRT isn't the only option. It is the fastest option and I think is a fix for all but it is by no means the only option. Like I said to Enriqueta, make an informed decision x
    • Posted

I feel your pain Patricia, Its not pleasant stay with this site theres alot of good advice
    • Posted

Hi it's nice to know people care a nurse at my doctors recommended I visit this site before I go back to the doctors

i take multivits and supergreens to get me through each day of going to work without getting sick I've also tried many homeopathy but it didn't work and was to expensive

i have a younger partner and he doesn't understand how I feel and knows our sex life is suffering,I work five days a week and have dogs to walk and look after so it is important I keep up

i think HRT may be the only solution after years of suffering and trying different remedies I've heard people say they feel marvellous taking HRT I want to feel that way to instead of struggling to get through each day😞

• Posted

I get really frustrated because there is no enough information about HRT.  The doctors recommend it, even though none of them tell you it is safe, regarding cancer issues.  So it is like, or you get the HRT with the advantages (if there is any because some ladies do not improve and just keep changing from one to another and dosage) and desavantages or you buy the health store.  Sometimes I just feel doctors and researches are not doing what they were suppose to do :S.
    • Posted

I am going to seethe doctor on Monday icant carry on like this,I have a bad cold at the moment and it's all down to not sleeping and feeling angry all the time.

im hoping HRT will give me a better quality of life and feel normal again,I have got to the stage now where I'm willing to risk whateverThe side effects may be,my doctor my not let me have HRT but I'm certainly going to ask to go on it and try and ween myself off of antidepressents and the side effects they bring,I used to love sex everyday but since the menopause it's more like once a week lol,just want my confidence and happiness back😱

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.