Is This Normal For Bipolar? Do Cycle Lengths Change?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just been told I might have Bipolar. I'm not so sure and would love your detective guys's help?

Can it change super quick.. a few days quick?

I get really depressed and then extatic which seems like bipolar... but within a few days of each other. So Monday, Tuesday crazy acting like a toddler. Then thursday wearing off but Friday and Saturday I can't even get of bed,sleeping 18 hours at a time.

This has been happening for a few months but before it was weeks between changes in mood.

It's so hard to deal with, please does someone else have this too?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have bipolar 2 and have had for 18 odd years I'd say, diagnosed for 14 months. I am on lithium which has eliminated the highs(which takes a bit of getting used to when you think that's just you happy not a high) and reduced the severity of the Lows dramatically. I have tried loads and loads of other meds to fully stabalise the moods and after experiencing no joy with them and various side effects I decided to try other techniques which don't involve chucking more drugs in my system.

Meditation on a daily basis helps massively but well worth seeing someone who can help you do it properly or get a good book

Finally the reason I posted and wanted to share, I was taking lorazapam and diazepam to control the anxiety and moods and couldn't continue with or as it was only a temporary fix whilst we explored quetiapine. As this had to stop and I had to look elsewhere and try and help myself.

My wife had started jogging and said I should try it.

I got my shorts and trainers on, loaded the couch to 5k on my iPhone and borrowed her arm strap. Bought a running album on iTunes and started doing it 3 times a week before work. I never thought getting up at 6.15 in the cold/wet/frost would be an option for me due to low mood, can't be bothered etc but

I can't get enough of it now. The app starts off with running and walking, running then walking etc then builds you up.

I having been running 5 weeks and can run 6k and I honestly say, this has been better than any other medicine (lithium disclosed) they have tried to give me.

I really hope this helps some of you as it has me ๐Ÿ‘

• Posted

Hi, I too have Cyclothymia and the mood swings are so upsetting for oothers. I wish I had a magic cure but as with many others, I am due a medication review next week. I like to bike and gym but even this is out because I have sciatica and waiting have appointment next week also. Had to wait quite a while for both! I don't hear voices I just get really paranoid. I just avoid people full stop๐Ÿ˜’ Stephen Fey is Cyclothymic. He has a video on you tube about his condition. It's called 'An uppy downy mood swingy kind of guy' !!
    • Posted

Stephen Fry I meant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.