Is this normal for diverticulitis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been reading through other people's posts. I've been suffering with mild diverticulitis for over 2 months. Just taking another course of antibiotics and finally the pains have near enough gone but now i'm starting to have these hot flushes, tiredness and light headed every so often in the day. Is this a normal part of recovery or infection? I feel a little anxious with it so, any good advice would be great!

Mandy x

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,

I am sorry you have been feeling ill for so long. I have lightheadedness and dizzyness when I am on low residue and not eating enough calories. I also get a mild vertigo that is more bothersome then the pains.

Hopefully others will be able to help with other experiences similiar to your's. I hope you feel much better soon.

Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie, thanks for the msg :-) Have you diverticulitis? I think mine is still infection, the pains have returned and I'm guessing it's going to be a slow recovery :-(

Mandy x

• Posted

I have had 4 possibly on my 5th bout in a year and eight months. The 4th one started early March and has kept going but I think maybe its turning back into infection as the pains are getting worse. I have been eating potatoes, whole wheat bread rice and carrots pretty much since March. If I try to introduce a new veg or fruit it hurts but today it hurts way more. Never had a fever but dizzy or weak and lightheaded alot from lack of food so those days I try to eat more. I hope you are feeling better soon. It can be a long recovery for some.

Julie.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Julie and sorry to hear you've suffered so long. ) I'm giving up hope that I'll ever improve. It's the feeling slightly hot and light head that scares me the most. My friend is a nurse & yesterday she checked my temp, pulse etc when I felt waffy and all was fine. Confused dot com!

• Posted

Mandy, are you at the age of permenopause or menopause because that could just be the combo. Plus female hormones high. low, or imbalance play hectic with our stomachs and the other symptoms you mentioined. Plus it makes or pre-exsisting condition like DD even worse. I have the mixed combo of both myself. 
    • Posted

Hi Crosado8, thx for your msg :-) I doubt it's the menopause I think that the infection is still there or should I say I know it's still there. I also have an abscess on the outside of my bowel near my spine and that could possibly be playing havoc still. Do u have DD??

• Posted

I have DD :-( I had so many flares its scary!
    • Posted

Yes I agree it is scary! If there was a little guidance as to what to do would be helpful. I've had no help whats-so-ever apart from here's some antibiotics see you in a month! How long have u had DD and how do u deal with it??

Mandy xx

• Posted

Me too; same here; I have not had recurrance of the pains from a few months ago but do get the hot flushes/ tiredness/ low energy; menopause or related to the diverticulitus or the medicine I take ( tamoxifen) for breast cancer... who can say. I try to live through it and get through the day. Excercise helps; taking walks.   It will be nice when the weather gets cooler.  Good luck; stay well.
    • Posted

Hi Kay, it's awful isn't it? All of a sudden my pains went but I started feeling really washed out and slightly anxious and like you i havent a clue if its the infection( that im suspecting it is) or antibiotics but after so many months or illness, not eating and lack of sleep it's going to catch up. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

How are you dealing with both DD and breast cancer? I really feel for you xx
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I have severe DD, I also feel the symptoms of tiredness/hot flushes and dissiness I also have severe headaches when it kicks off. I think it's part of the Condition which I have had for years now. It's a waiting game to gain any imrovements, it's a slow recovery unfortunately, drink plenty of water and I find decaf tea, coffee helps a lot and eat plain things like potatoes less fat things, avoid spicy stuff and things with pips ie: tomatoes, you will get used to things that kick it off.

Hope you improve soon

• Posted

Hi Vivienne, how are you? I'm sorry to hear that you've suffered for years with DD. My pains & discomfort seem to change constantly. At the moment it's near my spine just stiff and uncomfortable. When I stand I start to to feel a bit waffy. I'm terrible for watching what I eat, choosing a slice of toast/honey mostly. It's gone on so long that I'm struggling with it.

Mandy x

• Posted

How do you deal with the dizzy spells? They scare me a little as I feel horrible when they come on and so tired.

Mandy xx

• Posted

Hi Mandy, yes toast is a favourite when it's bad, along with plain busciuts. I know what you mean about back pain, it's a horrible illness isn't it!

I would go back to the doctors though make sure they have given you the correct anti biotics sometimes you do need a few weeks of them. Have you told them about your back ache?

• Posted

I'm on metronidazole & co-amoxicillian. Is it normal to go on for so long? It's just since the past few days that I have felt tired, depressed and isolated because of it even though the pain is less and my bowels are moving much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.