is this normal with bipolar type 2

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi been diagnnosed bipolar 2 as i have had 7-10 days hypomanic and 17 days of severe depression i write a daily diary looking at this since day 17 i get up and down days of fluctuating mood is this normal with bipolar? x

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Bipolar 2 is characterised as having alternating episodes of depression and hypomania. When you talk about your fluctuating days, do you mean a day up then a day down? Or is it several days of each? Sorry to ask dumb questions but I'm just trying to understand what you're asking.x
    • Posted

hi arwen im getting up and down days say a few low days then i can hav a few normal days i had a very bad spell few wks ago i had 10 days of hypo followed by 17 days of severe depression i had mentel health assesment inbetween got letter last wk they think its bipolar but i need a further assesment for personality disorder since tht bad spell few wks ago im getting ups n down days in mood xxx
    • Posted

also today im really angry irritable kicking off over silly things are these hypomanic im not sure new too it all lol x
    • Posted

I have type 1 with rapid cycling. It can be hard to deal the changes, but the best advice I can give you is to wait for your next assessment and take it from there.x
    • Posted

What do you mean by rapid cycling? I am depressed for 3 or 4 months then well again for 3 months. They're still trying to Work out if I'm borderline Bipolar but dont seem to know!
    • Posted

Chris...

Rapid cycling is when you flip mood states within a week, a few days or even within a 24 hour period, once or several times...

It's incredibly exhausting & although I've flipped mood states within days before I've seen people flip within hours...

Whatever we experience, it's all pretty naff & draining.

I hope you're well?

Take care... ;0)

• Posted

Thank you yes hope to get some answers soon. I am a bit high when well and do organise things then fall ill again and cant cope with it. I also get very angry about everything and cant sleep. I'm fed up with this cycle and not knowing why its so frequent. Feel very suicidal when im down its horrible . Sometimes I think its the meds but tried coming off a couple of times and got real bad anxiety

thanks for replying

chris

• Posted

Hello...

I'd say it does sound very much like bipolar 2 however I'm not sure of the similarities between personality disorder & BP2?

I can fluctuate between the two poles; in days when it's not so extreme & when the episodes are worse it lasts days.

I can flip between depression & hypomania without any 'balance' in between. Although my mood states usually build up & I can tell they're coming on.

i certainly get angry & irritable during more lengthy & extreme episodes of hypomania, it's because the mind is racing so fast & the world around you isn't moving fast enough, resulting in irritability!

I hope your mood levels settle & you get an accurate assessment soon. ;0)

• Posted

thank you scottie yes had one assesment now on a waiting list fir the second for the personality disorder im so irritable and angry today i keep punching myself i suppose its a form of self harm the first assesment i had when i got the breakdown of scores i scored 24/24 for severe depression and 7/7 for hypomania moderate anxiety levels and 7/8 for a personality disorder thats why i hav to hav a proper assesment for that my mood flucutuates normal low different everyday xx
  • Posted

Blooming heck! It sounds exhausting!! Which I know it is from my own experiences, however to alternate so rapidly in this cycling mode really sounds extremely draining for you.

It makes it impossible to plan your days...

Fingers crossed you feel more relaxed soon. ;0)

• Posted

thanks it explains by time evening comes i fall asleep just so exhausted and crashed out x
  • Posted

Hi,I would say yes,I have been on meds for Bi-polar 2 for exactly one year so feel i am beginning to get a grip on how the condition affects me.My conclusion is this so hope it may help ...... In a more controlled hypomania phase(due to meds) i am creative,very humourous, thrive on stress (husband collapsed last week) have to say i was brilliant while all acute/life-threatening senario played itself out cos i think i was challenged to cope with what was going on and i did.Now feel the dip comimg on as everything now settling down and the reality of the mundane daily stuff just bores the pants off me.The meds keep me more even keel but the cycles of hypomania/depression are still apparent and i am more accepting of that.Best Wishes
  • Posted

That is why I don't take regular meds now!

All the side effects AND the mood swings remain also...

Maybe the extreme edges are knocked off but not significantly enough to warrant me keeping to a medication regime!

I only take antidepressants when I'm dr pressed & can't lift myself out of it!

I can more or less control the hypomanic episodes with help from my husband!

• Posted

i dont mind the hypomanic if im laughing euphoric energetic its the severe low moods omg awful xx
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, I know, I feel the same, the hypomania episodes are exhilarating & productive & when not destructive, enjoyable!

I'd say I've certainly done some wayward more out of character things when euphoric in the grips of hypomania, however thankfully, nothing destructive!

The depressions I loathe, so immobilising, they strip you of just about everything...

How are you feeling presently? Xx

• Posted

had bad day yesterday kicking of angry with myself irritable dont know if these are classs as hypomanic episodes today i feel full of energy and more alive very strange lol x
    • Posted

The phrase 'it's an emotional roller coaster' really does aptly describe the eventful ride our moods take!

Its good you have energy today; only good for you however if it's focused positively & constructively, as hypomania is energetic & fun, fills us with euphoria, however can enable us to say & do some rather foolish things!!

I've certainly been through that!

I've experienced the irritability too, I think I've mentioned before, it's when you feel all you do is right & the world is at odds with you!!

Memory isn't a strong point amongst those with bipolar!

Logically it's down to the fact the mind has so much running through it, it has to deposit some memories to make room for others!!!!

I hope you put your energy to good use, without sounding patronising, just ensure you're safe & not vulnerable!

When our 'guards' are down our behaviour has a tendency to be more risqué!

Thinking of you...

Take care, keep in touch...

I enjoy the interaction very much, I'm not working at present due to my moods & it's great to feel we're all helping each other out. ;0) Xx

• Posted

i hav done silly things in the hypomanic phases i hav had arguments fights spent money hehe love tge hypos i go tgrew spells were i can hav hypos for 7to 10 days then wake in depths of despair for three wks at a time last spell was a few wks bck it was bad i was derermind it was going be the end dont know how i got threw it then since then my moods are fluctuating up down irritable dont know whats nxt from one day too nxt i hope your okey too xx
    • Posted

Hello again...

Goodness me too, I've done some wild stuff & feel so energised & at ease with myself!

That's my favourite part of the hypomanic episodes; all insecurities go out of the window & I like myself!!

I've spent huge amounts of money, opened credit accounts, ran up huge bills that when I crash into depression & don't work; can't pay them!

My behaviour is very risqué & I take risks, thankfully, although I've made our family less financially comfortable each month by not always working & at times overspending. I haven't done anything that's put my close relationships at risk & my husband is great & very supportive.

Presently I'm flat & low yet not depressed, I've lifted over the last couple of months whilst taking 150mg of Venlaflaxine. I can't risk upping the dose although I'd like more lift, because I'll flip into hypomania & I can do that on no meds or at this dosage anyway...

I think I've got just enough negative stuff plaguing my mind that it's keep me from a euphoric mood, I'd like one to come on & soon.

I'm fed up & want to crack on with things, anything!!

Life with bipolar hey?!

It's barely ever static...

• Posted

i know hun everyday is so different today i had energy finally cleaned my bathroom lol i feel on edge all time very irriatable wiv hypomanic moods im fighting my corner to be put on lamotrigine nxt time i go bck tried lithium and broke out with itchy rashes there talking of putting me bck on it how daft knowing am sensitive to it i dont knw were i am from one day to nxt 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.