Is this Oral Herpes?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi

I recently had a sexual encounter with a woman I met off of Tinder. On the evening of 08/08 she gave me oral and we had protected sex, we also kissed lightly. I was drunk when this happend and I can't remember if she had any visible sores on her lips.

On the evening of the 10/08 I started getting a dull pain on the left side of my lip which has continued since, the pain has now shifted slightly to the center of my lips (both top and bottom). It is dull and light, doesn't cause distress but I can feel it there.

So it will be 4 days since the encounter tonight and I haven't gotten any other symptoms on the lip area (no sores, cuts etc...), only the light pain.

Could this be oral herpes/HSV? I am worried sick, please help me.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Primary infection would likely give you low grade fever, malaise and swollen lymph nodes in the neck (given your worrry about the mouth). Do you have any of those symptoms?
    • Posted

As of now nothing else. If I were to get these symptoms when would they occur? Last night the pain got a bit worse (just after getting into bed), but I was worrying so much.
  • Posted

Glad to hear you do not have anything else because acute stomatitis caused by oral HSV-1 or HSV-2 has an incubation period of only 3-6 days and fever (sometimes high) , malaise, headache, and sore throat with swollen nodes are presenting features. That means they all come together. I think you said 4 days, so watch yourself carefully in the next 3 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

• Posted

Just posting an update. So it has been a week since the encounter and I have not gotten a fever or anything like that. Though I have had the same dull pain in the lip area which has been on and off, sometimes on the right side and sometimes on the left. Though I have noticed some 'bumps' on the inside of the bottom lip, they have been there for a few days but no blisters are visible, I am confused, I have attached a picture.

• Posted

Hmmmm. Not the best picture. Could you do another with focus on the lesions? I don't like the fact you have anything at all even though you did not get all the symptoms mentioned. Sometimes things just don't proceed like in the textbooks. Eitherway, if it is herpetic, looks more like a seconday outbreak, rather than a new exposure, so I ask : Did you ever have oral cold sores before? 90 % of people carry the virus and this could all be coinsidence. Again, send better pic.

• Posted

It is a bit hard to take a good picture, after forcing my lip in awkward positions this is what I managed to get, don't know if it is of any use...

I have gotten mouth ulcers before, in another place, not on the lips. I believe it is the first time I have noticed anything like this here. When I did get the other ulcers they just came and went in a few days-well within a week.(no tingling beforehand, not much pain either). So I am not really sure on this...

• Posted

Those are much better pictures! The other ones must have just been shadow.

I see no ulcerative lesions consistent with herpes. Again, in a primary outbreak, the firstime exposed, usually all the symptoms we mentioned plus the ulcers are scattered over the entire oral surface and palate. In a secondary breakout, which occurs only in a proportion of infected individuals, the ulcers may occur in slightly different locations , but are generally limited to one nerve distribution of the face. And you are correct, often, in the secondary form, because the nerve is involved, one feels itching or burning, slight redness for several hours in that nerve before the waterfilled lesions appear in a cluster, later breaking to become ulcers. On regular skin , they will then scab over.

I suppose there is a very low risk that you have what is called a "subclinical" infection where your immune system is so strong that you do not show all the signs and symptoms like the textbook says. I don't know how you get your health care, but you could always see your healthcare provider and insist on a blood test for HSV-1 and 2. Remember that 90% of people carry the HSV-1 virus though.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am in the UK so am covered by the NHS but apparantly they tend to overlook herpes and avoid testing for it unless a person has very obvious symptoms (even then they only swab test?). It has pretty much been 8 days and this is all I have got, these sort of bumps that do not form into blisters, and a numb pain that sort of comes and goes any where along the lips. My lips do feel slightly dryer than normal as well.

As far as I can remember I have never had any sort of immensely painful blisters/bleeding in my mouth. So this is confusing.

Do you have some sort of time scale when this could get better? A few days or weeks? It is a bit annoying and it has been keeping me worried. Also you mention that 90% carry the virus, so the vast majority don't show symptoms?

• Posted

Same in Canada. The blood test is available, but is rarely used. It is most often a clinical diagnosis. Even if a swab is used to support the diagnosis, one must swab a fresh, open, oozing base and transport the swab at 4 degrees C.  ie. it has a low sensitivity but is very specific if it is positive.

As to the 90% of people in NA having it, that data comes from older studies, but likely holds true. Often passed to children by their mothers with a kiss. The children get the stomatitis as the primary infection. Only 30 percent of adults will manifest recurrent herpes outbreaks.

I cannot really say when I believe your sensations will abate. I am not convinced you have HSV. Not really sure what's going on as it moves all about. Perhaps it's more dental? Or hopefully not neurological (don't mean to freak you out)

• Posted

S+++! I was just doing some more reading and got one of my statistics wrong. 90% of people with HSV are unaware they have the disease but the prevalence in NA is only about 15%. Sorry bout that.
    • Posted

From what I have read it is still very common, especially in the UK. Any way what ever it is I hope I just recover from it. Today I feel normal, but maybe that is because I've been busy so haven't noticed anything... I'll update this discussion if I get any other symptoms.

• Posted

From what I have read it is still very common, especially in the UK. Any way what ever it is I hope I just recover from it. Today I feel normal, but maybe that is because I've been busy so haven't noticed anything... I'll update this discussion if I get any other symptoms.

Oh and thanks for the advice! :-)

• Posted

Hi Nick, did you every get to the bottom of this? 

Think I’ve got the same at the moment.

• Posted

Hey Peter since nicki hasn’t responded and you have similar symptoms, what was the outcome in your behalf? 

Kinda feeling the same thing myself but symptoms are slightly fading away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.