is this seriously Gerd ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi friends

I am 28 yrs old man and been having Gerd since 2011, on and off, and wasn't taking any prescription, was just trying manage what I eat and drink, and it used to go away after a month or so, then two months ago I did drink some wine and vodka couple of nights and worst Gerd came back, am living painful life now, I hv difficulty in breathing, feeling pain in the esophagus and chest, and my middle waist looks swollen, or if it's quick fat I don't know, had to go to my Doctor and he gave me omeprazole 40mg once daily, I stopped going to the gym as well because few minutes after I start the exercise I feel horrible pain, can't even talk sometimes when the attack hits me. I am waiting now for the results for the H-pilori test and will undergo some other tests. I don't know if this is killing me!

Your experience is highly appreciated, thank you all.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nothing to worry about this. If the h pylori is positive just Antibiotics should be taken and you will feel a great relief. If negative, take the prescribed antacid and avoid caffeine and acidic spicy foods which helps you to feel better. When the acidity is higher, these symptoms are common.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy

I stopped all acidic foods a month ago and am still feeling the same, am taking omeprazole regularly a week now, and don't know if it will work after some time or not.

but how long does an injured esophagus take to heal while stopped all acidic foods and taken omeprazole regularly? Does too much acid damage other parts of the abdomen like liver, lungs and kidneys ?

Does the stomach still produce too much acid without taking in any acidic foods?

• Posted

No way it can damage your kidneys, liver, abdomen, It can just cause erosion on stomach if the mucosa wears off. Once it goes down in the duodenum the acid goes away because of the pancreas functions. Stomach is just a storage for you food, a temporarily storage, and the acid is here to get rid of bacteria from the food, The stomach does not absorb anything, any nutrients whatsoever. 

• Posted

It will not damage the other parts. Even the h pylori too creates the same kind of symptoms. If so, it is easily treatable. Reduce your stress levels too that has a great impact on acidity.
    • Posted

Hey all,

Unfortunately I have not found it easy to treat dyspepsia and indigestion, which is why I'm looking into my diet. This has driven me crazy for 9 months. I have had burning, tight throat, difficulty swallowing, tight feeling in stomach, a weird gas pressure, nausea after eating and burping. Really the heartburn is rare compared to the other issues that I've been dealt. I developed this after a strong course of antibiotics. I'm trying to repopulate my gut with probiotics and take it from there. I can have days I'm symptom free and days that it dominates my life. I've been too anxious to go for an endoscopy and my GP tried to get me a referral for a barum swallow but the consultant put it straight on the endoscopy list and I couldn't go through with it. I'm not a good example of someone who can deal with this! It's made me ery very anxious and I have health anxiety anyway -  the symptoms cause the anxiety more than anything else because I hate the way it feels. But I'm trying to go down the diet  route. Probiotics have helped me more than anything else I've tried in the past few months. Omeprazole healed up my throat which according to my GP confirmed I had oesophagitis, but a lot of symptoms still remain. It's very difficult to deal with and you have my sympathy! Hope it's simple and straightforward for you!

• Posted

These are more symptoms of a hiatal hernia... 
    • Posted

Hi esic

Thanks for the information, am collecting all the information that I can get, and will present them to my GP,

• Posted

I had an endoscopy examine where they go down your oesphagus and look what is goihng on.  Your oesphoagus could be damaged which is what my family doctor thought before the endoscopy.  However in my case the endoscopy showed that I have a large hitial hernia (my stomach has moved up past my diaphragm into my lower oesphagus and is close to my chest.  I  will be having surgery to put my stomach back where it belongs.
    • Posted

can you please describe your symptos of the large hiatal hernia? I also have one it's a small one but I think it's gotten worse, so I would be glad if you could share your symtpsom... tnx.

• Posted

Symptoms...
    • Posted

My symptoms started with throwing up stuff I had eaten many times, tomato soup, pizza, orange juice, I quickly realized it had something to do with acid. That is when my family doctor said my oesophasus was damaged and had me go on a liquid diet for a week with prevacaid.  I tried to watch what I ate but it didn't get better.  When I would eat something that didn't agree with me i would have extreme pain under my ribcage on left side and my left shoulder and radiating to the back of my shoulder.this would happen within 20 minutes after eating.  I would burp and spit up acid for about 4 hurs before I would finally throw up and then I would feel fine. Once I had the endocscopy and found out about the hernia and figured out what I could and couldn't eat, things got better, but I still throw up about once a week.  If i eat to much, if I drink to much water with my food I get this full feeling and now it takes a few hours before I feel worse and I throw up in about 2 hours and the pain is in my gut and not so much under my ribcage.  I got a list from the grasto place of the fppds that are suitable and the foods to avoid.  Everyone is a little different so some of the foods listed to avoid I can eat them fine.  I keep a dairy of what I eat and how I feel and when I throw uo. It is helpful.  I will go in for the surgery consultation next week and see what is involved since I am at risk being the hernia is so large.  It is expensive trying to get to the bottom of what is going on, but t least I am there now and know what it is.. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer and esic

is it a must to throw up for the haital hernia ?

as I never felt throwing up, my symptoms r pain in the chest (esophagus) burning sensation from the stomach to the mouth and difficulty in breathing.

• Posted

It heavily depends on your body/person type. Some have large hernia without symtpoms and some people have big symptoms with small hernias... I burp all the time, i rarely get nauseous...
    • Posted

I don't  try and force myself to throw up it just happens as part of the proceess for me.  I can feel the food stuck in my oesophagus. and even if I try and throw up it won't come out until it is ready.  All the burping and spitting up acid is just the begnnning part.   I don't get the burning sensation in mouth. 

• Posted

Is there a chance that you describe where the food is exactly stuck? In wich part of the esophagus-stomach. Under the left breast bone (near the heart), in the middle of the chest, below the sternum. I would greatly apreciate if you could pinpoint the place where your food is stuck...
    • Posted

Now, I see that you've already said that it is under your ribcage...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.