Is this TN or not?,please advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey friends,

Firstly,everyone get well soon,i hope.

I am 28 years old,male. Sorry for my english not really good.

3 weeks ago I went to my dentist to get my teeth filled.I did not have too many bruises on my teeth and there was no pain after the treatment.

In the following days, my left upper teeth became sensitive hot and cold water even it is impossible to walk cold air.

The dentist looked with x-rays and said root canal treatment would be right.During root canal treatment,dentist make 2 injections to my teeth which one not enough to relief my pain. I felt a bit of pain in my teeth when doing the second injection, which is not normal.

When I got home, my toothache was completely gone, but there was a violent swelling in my upper gum and cheek.My dentist said that my pain was normal and that it would be over in a few days, but it did not pass.When i call him after 2 days with pain he said,problem might be caused by sinus and I had to control my sinuses. I checked all my sinuses and ear and everything seems normal.

When i go to my dentist after he gaves me antibiotic(sefaclor).And told me 7 days/use.I started to use when i come home and on two days after evening my upper left other tooth(which is near my root canal treatment teeth) began to tingle. I didint even chewing anyting. I couldn't sleep until morning and nothing eat because chewing was really painful.

I called my dentist in night because of pain,said me ok take some painkiller and came to me 8 a.m in the morning.

My dentist again x-rayed and said everything seemed normal.

He did not know what to do for a while, but he said did not think it was related to the nerve.Dentist said that if the pain is too much,root canal treatment can be possible.If there is an infection in my root canal,sometimes he said that it would take 10-15 days to see it in x-ray.Ok i got second root canal treatment,during treatment there is no pain and everything seems normal.He said that all my pains which in my gums and cheek will be relief in 1-2 months.

Ok,now 2 weeks gone and my root canal treatment teeths pain when i press with my finger not too much but still hurts specially in the mornings. My real problem is my left cheeck pain under my ear is still there. Also i have left ear or my left upper neck pain which i can't decide.There is a pressure feeling in my left temple specially when i feel myself bad. There is something wrong my left face i don't really describe but i can fell. Not electric shock or stabbing mostly pressure,and like tickling and little tingling on my left face,rarely my left lip burning feelings.I say oh it's okay today over, it starts again another day. 

It was bit long,thanks for reading.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ozie

No one on this site .ca diagnosis if it's TN see a doctor who can send you to a neurologist who can see if TN is the problem. I am sorry your in so much pain. My Dr gave me the medication for TN in the meantime to help with the pain usually if the meds take your pain away then it narrows it down for the neurologist.

My TN pain started with an injury to one of my front teeth then progressed over 2 months to pain in my whole mouth everybody hurt, they gave me 3 courses of antibiotics when that didn't work and all stays were clear my Dr Suspected TN and put me on Gabapentin which finally kept me out of pain.

I hope this helps you

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

I am kind of afraid to going to a doctor.Thanks for your information.I think I am waiting for more symptoms because all symptoms are not exact. 

• Posted

HI OZIE, FIRST TIME I FELT SOME PAIN IN MY RIGHT SIDE OF MY FACE, ITS A TINGLING PAIN BELOW MY EYES AND MY NOSE, THEN IT WENT DOWN TO MY UPPER LIPS MIMICKING A TOOTH PAIN. THATS WHEN I STARTED TO RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET UNTIL I STUMBLED ON TN. I LEARNED THAT TN SEEMS TO MIMIC A TOOTH PAIN OR SINUS PROBLEMS. I WENT TO MY DENTIST AND ENT DOCTOR TO MAKE SURE WHAT IT IS AND GET A SECOND OPINION. I DISCUSSED TO THEM THE PROBLEMS AND THE POSSIBILITIES OF TN. I WENT TO A NEUROLOGIST ALTHOUGH I KNEW HE WILL ADVISE ME FOR MRI. ITS EXPENSIVE BUT WHAT I NEED WAS HIS OPINION ONLY. I NEVER STOP SEARCHING ABOUT TN SINCE I NEW ITS MOSTLY ALL ABOUT OUR NERVES. WHEN I WAS IN THE PHILIPPINES (  IM BASED IN THE US), THE PAIN GET WORSE AND I LEARNED THEY HAVE THIS VITAMIN B1B6B12 TABLETS (100mg/5mg/50mcg) WHICH I TAKE 3 TABLETS A DAY BEFORE I SLEEP. MY DOCTOR SAID THAT ITS AVAILABLE TO OTHER COUNTRIES BUT NOT IN THE  US.THE PAIN WAS GONE!! IM PAIN FREE NOW FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS. I CAN STILL FEEL IT SPECIALLY WHEN IM NOT CAREFUL BRUSHING MY TEETH OR WASHING MY FACE BUT NO PAIN AT ALL. ITS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE US BUT WE HAVE B12 COMPLEX. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE B12. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME B12 IS IN A FORM OF INJECTION AND IT GIVES IT TO YOU ONCE A MONTH FOR $20.00 A SHOT. I NEVER TRY THAT YET COZ I BOUGTH A 6 MONTHS SUPPLY OF IT FROM PI. I DON'T LIKE DRUGS. I HOPE THAT THIS WILL HOLD FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. IM 65 YEARS OLD AND I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE PAIN.TRY IT!!! ITS VITAMIN AND SHOULD BE NO SIDE EFFECT. GO TO YOUR DOCTOR AND GET SOME ADVICE ABOUT B12. IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, GET ANOTHER DOCTORS. I HOPE THIS WILL ALSO WORK FOR YOU. GOD BLESS.

• Posted

Hi Rene,

Thanks for advice. I also have b-12 defficency and use b12 nugget(1000). I was use a once per week,but after that ı thought that maybe b12 take some relief and now ı use 1000 per 2 days. I dont know if ı take overdose it s benefical or not. Do you have ear pain also when touching your ear pain in deep? Thanks a lot anyway. Good bless.

• Posted

Update;

Hi again,

I went neurology today.She told it can be trigerminal problem and send me to MR scan.After that i can't really translate but my blood vessel seems very close to my nerve,but not pressure. She told it can be dental oriented and treating can be possible. She gaves me b-complex and Nuerontin(gabapentin) 300 mg dose a day.  I dont know if it is possible to threat that it will be amazing.

I also need a answer from you,

Has anyone experinced to tn spread left to right,is it possible? Because my teeth(which zirconium coating-1 month ago) pain when i pressure on it. I don't know,i am so confused. Thanks for replies. =)

• Posted

Hi Ozie

Good Gabapentin should help I was taking 900mg per day if by the time you get to that dosage your still have pain then the neurologist can look into it more. I had the MVD operation but it did not work. They can also change you to another had that might better. I got some pain in my right and left when pain was bad my whole mouth and teeth all hurt, yet it is not my teeth.

My medication now and I take the turmeric and bromealine in one capsule together and this also helps keep the pain down in between taking the other meds.

One thing about TN I have learnt is that no two people have the exact same symptoms so give the Gabapentin a try sometimes ypu have to get to 600mg to start getting good relief. It takes time to build in your system to be very effective.

I hope this helps you 😊

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi marilyn,

Thanks for your advice i will definetly try. Your pain started in left or right firstly do you remember or starts both of them?

• Posted

I know you asked Marilyn but jumping in here to share my experience also. smile My pain is only on upper left jaw. It’s rare to have pain on both sides. But it does happen.

You can also look up the trigeminal nerve on google and it will show you how it branches out on the face. It can give you an idea.

I know you are still trying to figure out what your condition is so please don’t think your pain has to be exactly right where those nerves are. It’s just a general idea. Might help you understand how it works. Did for me anyway although mine is caused by MS.

• Posted

First of all I’m really sorry your are in pain and like someone said no one on here can diagnose this. Everyone with TN experiences it a little differently. For me I thought it was a toothache at first and had two root canals and a tooth pulled. All my pain is in my upper right jaw. I have MS so I have atypical TN that means I have constant pain as well as shooting stabbing pains. The constant pain feels like a throbbing toothache. The only problem is usually it occurs in a place where the teeth are gone. Most often i feel it in the back side of my upper right jaw where my molars used to be but it can go to the front of my mouth. Sometimes I still think it is a toothache although I was diagnosed with TN and have seen my neurologist, had a second opinion (and a third as I was in the hospital so I was seen by multiple neurologists), saw a neurosurgeon, my Dentist and an oral surgeon who specializes in TN.

That pain is annoying.

But I have a shooting stabbing burning pain that feels like someone is honestly taking a screwdriver and jamming it into my gums over and over deeper and deeper. This last ten days the attacks were almost constant and I wasn’t sure how I was going to continue. Today the attacks are every five minutes to fifteen and last three to five minutes. It’s hard or impossible to talk. But I’m thankful today that they aren’t constant and I’m getting a little relief.

That is my experience with TN. Oh I also have numbness in my lips and sometimes my cheeks. I think with TN you will find the description of the attacks differ and the amount and duration differ but that they are usually the most severe pain the person has ever experienced.

I have gone through endometriosis, migraines, back and neck herniations and labor and TN by far is the most painful and disabling thing I’ve experienced.

If you are wondering if you have it, do a lot of research and get at least a second opinion. It is great you got an MRI, but ask your neurologist about an MRA. It is a test that looks at the blood vessels. It might give a clearer picture of what’s going on.

I hope you do not have trigeminal neuralgia. I hope it is a tooth problem and they can fix it but if it is not, we are here. We are here anyway lol smile but I just hope for your sake it is something that can be fixed in the Dentists chair.

Again I’m so sorry for your pain and I hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

Oh I forgot to tell you what the doctors treatment for my TN is. Part of this is because of my MS but my medications are:

Tegretol

(one of the main medications for TN and often thought of as medication to be used first before anything)

Gabapentin

Baclofen

Methadone

I also have to take sodium chloride because the tegretol lowers my sodium and landed me back in the hospital. The sodium pills keep my levels stable.

Nerve blocks:

Trigeminal nerve block

Spg block

Stellate ganglion block

I have gotten a surgery consult but am not ready for that yet. 

• Posted

Before you try the surgery route try acupuncture. A few people on this web site suggested it. I tried it & got relief from TN by the 2nd visit. Sometimes it could take up to 10 visits to get total pain relief. I too was scheduled for surgery, So glad I went this rout instead!

If you do go to an acupuncturist make sure he is not also a chiropractor. They get their license through a 60 hour course they take. Ask the acupuncturist if he has dealt with TN & if they had success. 

I pray you get relief soon! 

• Posted

Hi Vicki. Wow that’s amazing. I can’t believe you were scheduled for surgery and found success with acupuncture. What made you go if I might ask?

I did have a lot of success with acupuncture in the past for my endometriosis and am really considering it right now. I just don’t want to do too many things at once so I don’t know what works. Also Bc of MS flares I’ve been in the hospital 5x since last July. Tore through my entire savings.

And unfortunately acupuncture isn’t covered. That being said the pain is so horrible that I’ve had some really dark thoughts. I am not depressed I want to live I want to do a million things but the pain has been so bad I don’t know how I am going to continue sometimes. It’s so unrelenting. So if I had to choose I would go into a large mountain of debt trying everything I could think of acupuncture, exercise surgery etc etc etc because I have a 7 year old daughter and she needs me and I really want to spend next summer with her in the swimming pool not home in a dark room unable to speak.

How are you now? Does the acupuncture keep you in relief?

Thank you for your kind note.

• Posted

I  did get relief after the 2nd visit. I made another appointment for tomorrow because I had a little pain last night. Please try Turmeric 800 mg just to get some relief. If mixed with other meds it seems to be less effective.

Please don't lose hope! This is called the suicide disease for a reason. Go to youtube and search for relief of trigeminal nerve pain. There is some good relief remedies on there. QA Dr. also told me to try taking Alpha Lipoic acid. 1600mg a day.  It also helps with brain function for those with MS. It takes the pain away temperately. Eat with this though. I also was diagnosed with MS in 86. I praise God every day for healing me! 

Ant time you take a pain killer, if it's over used, it becomes less effective. You do have a reason to go on. God gave you a child to raise & she loves you. Have a great night!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hello Ozie,

Sounds like you have been in a LOT of pain. I hope it gets better soon. I am not sure what you describe is TN, but clearly you are suffering.

The one thing in your story that DOES sound familiar (like TN) is the pain behind the ear. Otherwise, it sounds like a really awful dental experience. I sure hope it does not lead to anything worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.