Is too much liquid antacid bad for you??

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been drinking liquid antacid for reflux maybe 2-3 times per week. I only started doing this a week ago because it got more frequent. Do others do this and is it bad for your organs?

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Follow dosage on box...and consult your doctor....

• Posted

Try a natural alternative called Mastic Gum.
    • Posted

Its a natural extract from a three.... some people swear by it and for some it does nothing. There are no proven beneficial effects but yet it sometimes help.... btw i used it and it did nothing for me but for you it may work. Its inexpensive.
  • Posted

Yes too much of antacid is not good for your health , antacids will make you more prone to gallstone desease and kidney stones 
    • Posted

Before you take any medications try apple cider vinegar with the mother. Natural remedy for acid reflux.
  • Posted

The problem with taking too much of the antacid is it contains aluminum. Try apple cider vinegar with the mother. I use the Braggs brand. You can take a teaspoon with juice or take it with just water. It helps me. Also, eating late doesn't help. Try eliminating or replacing some of the foods that are causing that acid reflux with fiber foods like high fiber cereals or salads. You are definitely going to have to make an adjustment. Try the apple cider vinegar with mother. It's the raw version of apple cider. Good Luck!

• Posted

I have an aluminum free antacid. Thanks for the advice. 
  • Posted

If your intake is increasing then I think you should seek GP advice as you may need another medication instead of?  Have you been offered an endoscopy to see what’s going on or a scan could be hiatus hernia or gallstones even pancreas 

Seek GP advice and referral 

• Posted

Antacids are generally safe provided you stick to the recommended dosage instructions.  See your doctor for further advice.  I take antacids several times a day to.clear my reflux otherwise I will get a persistent cough.  Alternatively, you could try milk instead.
    • Posted

Pippa, milk stimulates acid production!!!! 
    • Posted

Milk stops my acid production and cured my grandad’s ulcer! It stops my dad’s acid reflux too. Milk is known for reducing acid because it is alkaline.  It is a great stomach soother!   I get immediate relief of reflux from drinking milk. However, everyone is different.
    • Posted

This research is not black and white and does not apply to everyone because everyone is different.  Newspapers are full of this sort of thing. One day one thing is good for you and the next day it is bad. Advice changes like the British weather!

Researchers make money out of writing contradictory information like this and all it does is cause confusion.  Research can be skewed to fit the purposes of the person writing the paper.  

I think, if a particular remedy works for you, you should stick with it.   In my family, milk most certainly has helped three of us.  The best research you can do is to try the remedy to see if it works for you. 

• Posted

Well I will say my Mum had an ulcer for years and never went to bed without a glass of milk - and lived to 84 and passed but not ulcer related.
    • Posted

My grandad was a GP and cured his duodenal ulcer by drinking milk.  It really helps me and my dad to get rid of our acid reflux.
    • Posted

Well I'm lost then, just do a search and view the facts on the many sites from leading professionals that state milk causers acid rebound effect.  Its not me, its the professionals that state this. It would be nice to be able to cheery pick which research we care to accept or decline, yet we find ourselves dong just that. One piece of research is put as an example on this forum as gospel, yet others should they go against what we believe is discarded.  I believe some say PPIs can cause cancer due to the extremely limited 'tests/research' conducted, yet some choose to accept this as gospel!!  Funny world. Now, lets take statins, research on both sides of the camp and experts from both side disagree, so where does this lead research papers in general then???  Maybe we should go back to seeing the witchdoctor??  Oh, I've just read back thought this and please don't anyone take my comments in a negative way I'm just stating how 'silly' research seems, yet what else do we have as a grounding? And, no doubt all of us will post the same research findings from another topic on here at some pointrolleyes 

• Posted

pippa has acid reflux and swears by milk - I, after reading up on it told him it would make it worse and not to do it.  He won't have it, it makes him feel loads better.  And with my Mum swearing by it - I am going down this route - like you say, we are all different.  But hey it is sooooo soothing.

• Posted

The best research is to try the remedy out and see if it works for you.
    • Posted

Provided you are not intolerant to it, milk works a treat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.