Is Your BPH this Bad?? Looking for Treatments & Shared Experiences...

Posted , 15 users are following.

Well I'm sure you all know what BPH feels like so Let me get straight to the point to help outline my circumstances and my methods of how I'm trying to deal with it. 

Also, I want to offer Encouragement for everyone as we all are struggling with this and know  that you're not alone in your suffering! I'm in the process of doing long term research to find an answer so myself and others can find relief and a normal life again.

First Things First!

I'm 32 and I have been suffering from urinary related issues for at least a few years, About 1 year ago after realizing I had BPH, I decided enough is enough. I made a massive overhaul to my diet, lifestyle and treatment protocols.

What I Don't Do

No Smoking

No Gluten (No breads, Pasta, Bakery..)

No Soda 

No excessive Sugars (minimal natural forms - fruits)

No Meat

No Dairy (Milk, Cheese, etc..)

No Processed Foods ( Soy, Canola, HFCS, etc..)

No Alcohol (I Just Don't drink)

What I Do

Organic Whole Food Based - Plant & Fruit Diet

Water Daily - Body Weight x 0.66 (estimated intake)

Excercise 15 - 20 mins Minimum Daily 

Sleep 7-8 Hrs Nightly (Like this is even remotely possible?!)

----------------------------------------

* History & Blood Work

Age: 32     Weight: 201lbs     Height: 6'3    Body Fat: 18%      BMI: 24

http://postimg.org/image/6g8fpqyrt

http://postimg.org/image/mpylsn9ft

Listed Above is recent Bood Work for those Who can offer assistance from a medical stand point AND/OR  those who wish to follow along with this Thread and Treatment Protocol

Side Note*

(I'm not presently Interested in drug treatment or surgrey these records and this thread is to find a wholistic approach from the interuptation of the bodys defiencies to help assist  in it's own healing mechanisms and not to circumvent it's natural process)

----------------------------------------

Supplementation

Capsules*            - Treatment Herb Protocol*

Saw Palmetto   - 1g/Once Daily            (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Pumpkin Seed  - 2g/Once Daily            (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Pyguem Bark    - 300mg/Once Daily     (Wild Crafted/Organic)

MarshMallow    - 400mg/Once Daily     (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Stinging Nettle  - 500mg/Once Daily     (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Beta Sitosterol  - 500mg/Once Daily     (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Rosemary         - 500mg/Once Daily     (Wild Crafted/Organic)

Pumpkin Oil      - 1tbsb/Twice Daily      (Cold Pressed/Organic)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liposomals*       - Assisting in Digestion Protocol*

Turmeric             - 1g/Per Tbsp            (Lipsomal/Organic)

Super Probiotic  - 50bn/Per Ounce      (Lipsomal/Organic)

( *Natural Kefir 1bn  *Raw Probiotics 50bn * Inunlin FOS 1gram)

*Per Ounce  *Made with Sunflower Lethicin * bn = Billion

Side Note

I'm Considering Making Lipsomal Saw Palmetto and others to grammatically increase absorption - Will Update Soon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tablets*             - Vitamin & Enzyme Protocol*

Eynzmes        - 1Tab/Once Daily            

Multivitamin    - 1Tab/Once Daily          

Selenium        - 400mg/Once Daily        (L-Selenomethionine)

Potass/Mag    - 400mg/Once Daily        (Pot/Mag Citrate)

B12                 - 1Spray/Once Daily      

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powders*             - Vitamin & Enzyme Protocol*

B12                 - 1Spray/Once Daily      

L Glutamine    - 5grams/Once Daily       (Fermented Whole food Source)

Flax Seed       - 5grams/Once Daily       ( Freshly Grinded Organic)

Protein           - 15grams/Once Daily      

Status*

I don't believe I have been on these protocols long enough to see any certain results yet as I justed started the list above within the last 2 weeks 

Symptoms & Rate of Occurences

It seems the symptoms come on stronger at times but it is a constant problem either way to urinate at night it can be 7-8 times or every hour to hour and a half.

I have burning occassionally when only a few drops come out and I have to constantly push for hours on end to get it out sometimes, this can last up to 8 hrs then it seems to break for 5-6 hrs then it comes back for another 6-8 hrs and I do mean those times literally. 

Even Worse, I get RLS or Restless Legs Syndrome that makes you literally want to shoot someone because it drives you mad and I also get it in my arms. These both happen when needing to urinate and only relieves after getting it ALL out.

On a Bad day I can spend 12-13 hrs in the restroom straining. I'm exausted at this point and I desire greatly to fall alseep but that endless feeling of no relief with the restless leg irritation drives you to the point of insanity and keeps you awake.

The Crazy Thing is even with all the removal of toxins and bad foods etc.. it seems to have gotten worse so I'm hoping I'll find an answer and that these supplements and herbs will align my body to health plus help with the DHT and lower inflammation to stop any extra irritation to the prostate.

--------------------------------------

Final Note*

I would love to hear from others if their symptoms are this bad or is this your normal too? Any advice is welcome and I realize I can be meticulous but I'm hoping such documentation & oversight that it will lead us to atleast Gaining relief and a further understanding of how to prevent it getting worse or possibly stop it all together using natural methods.

Thanks for your time and for your Help!!

Knowledge Seeker

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi knowledge seeker.  Your focus on a purely natural way to resolve your problem is admirable and I've seen some articles/ads from the U.S. saying it can be done.  I guess each of us decides our own approach to the BPH problem.  One thing your initial post doesn't say but which other natural focused approaches recommend is to regularly use your prostate for what it's designed to do and that will help. Personally I do a lot of research and work closely with my GP to manage my BPH and other conditions.  I also follow a gluten-free diet and have tried cutting out other foods for 6-8 weeks at a time to see if they affect my symptoms, if they do I continue, if not I eat them again.  I find regular exercise helps together with managing my fluid intake during the day.  I choose to take a combination of natural remedies and prescription drugs and work with my doctors to find the right balance.  You have a quite different view and you're welcome to it.  I've not seen anything in your initial post or subsequent responses that would make me change my approach to managing my BPH
    • Posted

Monks and other celibates not using their prostates as intended evidently rarely get prostate cancer. Or is that down to diet?
    • Posted

Derek76, unless you are a monk or celibate yourself I don't think you're qualified to know whether they do use their prostates for their intended purpose.  Numerous press articles on Catholic celibates caught doing things they shouldn't suggests they do use them!  And that's definitely not down to diet.
    • Posted

I was meaning Bhuddist, Catholic and others in closed orders with little or no contact with the outside world in the same way that Nuns evidently do not get cervical cancer. However who knows what goes on behind the walls.
    • Posted

the biggest cause of cervical cancer is a virus that is sexually transmitted and is very common. maybe that has sometning to do with the very low incidence in celibate women, and higher incidence in those who have more sexuaL activity especially when young. Young women in the UK are now routinely vaccinated at 14 years old...
  • Posted

Knowledge Seeker.......I just like to say a few words to the guy's that are on here.  We should not knock a guy for doing what he feel is right for him.    There may be something he miss that we have seen and give him the information.    I have been told that i am anti-doctors. That is not true  I have 3 that I trust and I will take there segestions. But I look it up and get the information on it and decide for myself.  There are so many drugs out there that don't work on everyone that we do have to try and see what is best for us.  The same with the procdures.  At 59 I still love sex and I know the side effect on some take your man hood away. Don't know if all men feel this was but If I am going to have a orgasm I would like to have the discharge.  To me it feel right.  Some pills and procdures stop that.  A dry orgasm to me is not a good thing and it hurt my bladder.  I don't think at 32 that knowledge seeker is looking for that.  Don't know if he has any kids but he may like a few yet.  If your older that does not matter.  Some men after prostate surgery are glad there having anything.  Life is to short to fight about things on here we should be trying to help each other. Please just get the information on any pills or surgery that your going to have and know the side effects that is will give you.  Not all doctors will or can't tell you everthing because it works diffrent on all men.  We need to enjoy life because it is short  Take care and good health   Ken            
    • Posted

If a doctor prescribed as many items to Knowledge Seeker as he is taking himself he would be said not to be taking a shotgun approach but using a battery of machine guns. 
  • Posted

you have embarked on a huge routine of remedies that have little eveidence to support them. Even if you do get spome relief this way how will you know what the reason is. get back in control, at the moment your fear of real modern medicine and minor procedures is running your life, costing a fair bit of money and failing. here is a plan tht will work much better if you want to get back in control of your life.

1. take some good medical advice and be certain what you are dealing with. The investigations are simple and none painful.

2. look at lifetyle - mainly a good varied diet and plenty of fuids, preferably water. cut out the huge list of suppliments.

3.learn to drain your bladder mechanically before bed so that you get some sleep, then think straight.

Hope this helps you to get off this trap you are in.

• Posted

Like yourself, I also had bph and did not want to go the drug or surgery route. But let me digress for a minute.

Regardless of how you want to approach BPH, it's important initially to get as accurate diagnosis as possible, including all the tests such as ultraound, urodynamics, etc. The only person qualified do oversee all this is a urologist, not a gp. It may turn out you have garden variety BPH and be offered the standard treatment options, or it may turn out that they find something a little different that may suggest other treatment choices. The point is you don't start fixing things until you know exactly what is wrong.

If it turns out you have garden variety bph, then yes, you will probably be offered first medical treatments and if that doesn't work then surgical choices.

The other option that often is overlooked is Self Catherization. This was my choice because I didn't want the side effects of either the standard medications or surgery.

Once learned, self catherization is a quick and painless procedure that allows you to empty your bladder completely any time you want. The impact on your quality of life is immediate. No more frequent bathroom trips, straining, or lost sleep going to the bathroom at night.

Ironically, while yes, it involves inserting a thin tube into your urethra, it's about as "natural" a solution as you can get to urinary retention, because it mimics that natural process of urination without drugs or surgery.

The other thing to keep in mind is the harm you are doing to your urinary system (including kidneys) with all that straining. It's quite possible that your straining is backing up urine into your kidneys and over time this can lead to kidney disease which can be irreversible.

Because of this, you have to do something now that works. It's simply not enough to say you don't want drugs or surgery, you have to find something to stop all that retention and straining, and honestly there aren't any other choices other than what has been mentioned here.

So again, first get a proper diagnosis with a urologist to see exactly what you are dealing with as well as the current health of your kidneys probably through ultrasound testing. From there reconsider your options including self-catherization.

If you continue to avoid some sort of solution you may end up with a much bigger problem where drugs and surgery will not be an option but be mandatory.

Jim

• Posted

Self Cath obviously helps in many ways but your prostate keeps on growing.
    • Posted

derek: Self Cath obviously helps in many ways but your prostate keeps on growing.

--------------

First off, it appears the OP has had limited testing so we don't even know if prostate size is an issue. Second, the problem is probably urinary retention which may or may not be caused by an enlarged prostate. Many men have urinary retention with normal size prostates and others have no retention with enlarged prostates. My urologist tracks my prostate size (btw it hasn't grown since I started self catherization) but his main concern is the retention, not the size of the prostate. With self catherization I have zero retention. That is what is important and that is what will protect my kidneys, not reducing my prostate size by drugs or surgery.

Jim

• Posted

How long have you been self catheterising?
    • Posted

2 1/2 years.

Other than no drugs or surgery, the other benefit of Intermittent self catherization i(ISC) is that a flaccid (stretched) bladder can actually rehabilitate itself to different extents depending on the individual.

As I mentioned, just before I started ISC, I was holding over a liter of fluid after a natural void and just before I started could only naturally void by pressing hard with my hand into the bladder (Credé technique).

At that point, I had to self catherize around six times day in order to keep my PVR (post void residual) under 400 ml. Now there are days that I only self-catherize once or twice or even not at all.

A lot of variable involved that I haven't fully figured out but some include total fluid intake and timing, types of fluid (sugary drinks, alcohol, coffee, water, etc), exercise and other medications.

This morning, for example, I self catherized for the first time in two days after voiding around 100ml. I didn't feel the need to do it but wanted to double check my PVR even though my bladder felt empty. Well, it turned out it was empty with a PVR under 20cc ! I'm not counting on that being a norm but you might say looking back two years ago my bladder has come a long way!

Very little in the way of studies for long term self catherization other than in the SCI (spinal chord injury) population where they are unable to regain control of the bladder for neurological reasons.

But my own anecdotal case suggests that bladder rehabilitation can continue to take place longer than doctors are aware of. I was told that my bladder would not continue to improve after 6-12 months of ISC. And yet, it's much better today than a year ago.

Doctors are other unaware or they just don't care, or a combination, and that's why outside of the SCI community so few of us with BPH are introduced to it. Think about it. No money for the drug companies. No money for in office procedures. No money for surgery. So what's in it for the doctor?

Maybe I'm being overly cynical but it is what it is, and while I'm not surprised more people don't try it as an alternative to drugs and surgery, I think it's kind of a big loss for a lot of folks who are very unhappy with the drugs and equally unhappy with potential surgical outcomes.

Jim

• Posted

KS: Secondly, blood results and 24hr urine panel montior kidney function and protien levels so I would know if it caused any decrease before leaving damage.

---------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily. My blood results were normal and I still had hydronephrosis in both kidneys diagnosed by ultra sound. All the straining potentially will result in irreversible damage if you don't address it in some way that WORKS. So far, nothing you are doing is working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.