Issues after Gallblader removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago. I had 6cm of inflammation surrounding it, 5mm of sludge in it, and a 15mm stone lodged in the neck.

I left the hospital two days after surgery feeling great. The next day I had my first bout with diarrhea and have had that issue about every other day. I can't go anywhere because ther is no warning, and it is explosive. I am also unable to eat because of this.

My BP which is normally quite low, was high for the entire 4 days I was in hospital, while it is not as high at home as in hospital, BP continues to be high with accompanying headaches.

i ran fever every night since surgery, until last night, this is a relief.

I take probiotics and digestive enzymes to help with digestion.

I am frustrated as this was an emergency situation, I spoke with the surgeon and two gastro docs before agreeing to surgery, all three felt it was dangerous with the inflammation, infection, and stone blocking neck, to leave the GB in. How long does the diarrhea last, why is my BP acting like this? 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there

Sorry to hear you haven't fully recovered. I had my gallbladder removed in March and my vowel has been misbehaving greatly. Had a colonoscopy yesterday which was normal. Surgeon told me gb removal can play havoc with bowel but it should settle. He recommended anti spasmodics and probiotics.

Hope you start to feel well soon.

Best wishes

Dawn

• Posted

Sorry bowel not vowel
    • Posted

Thanks Dawn I pray you will begin to heal quickly and completely. Joie
  • Posted

Hi, It looks like you had no choice but to have the surgery, or you may have been seriously ill.

I've had chronic illness 7 months attributed to gallbladder and due for the surgery soon, not happy about it but again no choice although not emergency.

I think you are right to have the probiotics and enzymes, not sure how long you have taken these, it does take time,

If your BP is high, do go back to yr GP for advice as it should probably have returned to normal by now. My BP is oftn high after medical procedures, they say it is stress and trauma. Or maybe it could be meds if you are on any.

The D is common I believe and it can clear in time without treatment or some people have to take meds to bind the bile. Are you eating little and often and still following low fat diet as this is best while you are healing my consultant advises. If you do not eat enough or have too much, the excess or lack of bile causes trouble.

I have worried about such after effects myself, no-one knows how we will do for certain with this surgery, not having a Gb is far from ideal but keeping one that is diseased and malfunctioning is also a hazard. I do hope it will improve soon for you, take care.

• Posted

Hi Lynda, Surgery should be 11th July, if no more delays! Quite stressful the waiting, isn't it? Hope you are OK? x

• Posted

Doing okay.  I haven't seen you on the site, so wondered how you're doing.  Yea, the waiting isn't great, but hopefully, you'll get in and done, and you can start recovering!  Best to you!  xx

• Posted

Ank you Cynthia.ive taken probiotics and digestive enzymes for years as I have had gut issues which two MDs couldn't diagnose. The surgeon told me that the issues I have had for years should have told the docs it was gallbladder. So, I've been looking for a DO, which I finally found yesterday and will see the 5th. I also deal w adrenal insufficiency, and blood swag issues, BP wS down a bi this morning so I'm encouraged. I follow a strict low almost no carb diet and now have to eat low. Cholesterol and sodium. I do eat small snacks/meals thru the day.  

My son research ch OX Bile and I have researched bile salts just want to wait until I confer w DO and surgeon next week to try anything. Been eating yogurt which is good for D but even that doesn't help. I can't leave the house and haven't had a real meal in weeks. 

• Posted

Ok that's not exactly what I typed...but you can get the gist of it. I pray you have great success with the surgery Cynthia!

• Posted

Hi, Joiebk, sorry to learn you're having these issues. The diarrhea may subside, but if it does not, you may have bile acid malobsorption (BAM) like so many who have their gallbladder removed.  If the diarrhea is explosive and contains yellow liquid, this is the bile that is being produced by your liver to aid in digestion.  The gallbladder acts as a valve between your liver and your small intestine, which is where the bile is released during digestion.  Because you have no gallbladder now, your liver may be producing excess  bile. You can try enteric coated peppermint capsules that dissolve in your small intestine as well to lessen the spasms.  I have heard there is a Facebook page for BAM that you can go to to get information and helpful hints.  There is medication that can assist, it's called cholestyramine.  Your gastroenterologist can offer other meds as well. I tried probiotics and enzymes to help with digestion, but as bile is an extremely caustic acid, I think it pretty much interferes with enzymes, which act in the stomach and/or probiotics.

In my experience, you might need to be rather forceful to get some assistance with your diarrhea issues from the doctor.  Some of them aren't very sympathetic.  

As for your high blood pressure, you have experienced a medical emergency and major surgery!  I can take a while for your body to find what its new normal is.

Best of luck and let us know how you do!    

• Posted

Thanks Linda, I finally found a new doc, a DO, will see him on 5th and surgeon for follow up on 7th. My first visit w him since surgery.

one of my issues has been that I put on ten pounds in one day, nurse used a couple of scales and even got my roommate on them. She gained ounces and I gained 10 lbs.  I am almost back to normal with that, couldn't wear clothes really but am along so that was ok. I will research the BAM, thanks again for the info, pray you are doing well. Joie

• Posted

You're welcome!  Best of luck to you!  Do let us know how you get on.  

• Posted

Dear joiebk,

I am sorry to hear that you have been having such awful problems since your gb removal.  I also had a cholecystectomy at the beginning of this month after suffering several episodes of excruciating biliary colic over the past two years.  Tests revealed mulitple gallstones in an inflamed gb with very deranged liver function tests

Since the op, I only experienced acute pain - mainly around the belly button area - in the first two weeks and now just a general ache due to scar tissue in that area.

I have a degree in Nutrition and before the operation, I spent several hours researching about all aspects of the cholecystectomy op, including bile acid malabsorption.  I think I have become an expert on bile acids - primary and secondary - and conjugated bile acids (bile salts). During the course of my research, I came across some journal (gastroenterogy journal) articles about bile acid malabsorption and substances that mop up/absorb bile acids such as fibre, pectin, cellulose etc. There has been quite a lot of research in this area.  I also discovered that if bile acid malabsorption is suspected, your doctor should refer you for a SeHCAT test for a definitive diagnosis and treatment.

In my case, befoer I was discharged, I devised a dietary plan to minimise the amount of bile acids just sitting in my intestine.  I would start off with a glass or two of water, then an apple, then porridge with semi-skimmed milk. Then I would eat a banana mid morning.  For the first few days after the op, I had low-fat soups for lunch eg. chicken and vegetables/rice or minestrone. For dinner, I would eat maybe poached fish with potatoes and vegetables/salad. I now eat some nuts every day because our bodies are still producing bile all day and every day so that same bile can break down the fat in the nuts.  We need healthy fats! If feeling peckish at any time, I have toast with cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes, celery or olives. A good qualty jam or marmalade will give you pectin too.  I have not tried chocolate, pizza, or any high-fat foods apart from an avocado which was ok.

Before my gallbladder was removed, I was very reluctant to drink water and many people said that this could have contributed to my gallstones. I don't know if there is any truth in that but now I drink plenty of water and herbal tea (some mornings a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in the water) because I am aware that the gallstones can still form even without a gallbladder. 

In summary, try to eat pectin-rich fruits - apples, oranges, pears, apricots during the day to soak up the bile.  Drink water first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  Don't go too long without food so that the bile won't build up in your gut. I eat as many different fruits and veg as I can. 

It's 10 pm now and I am going to have a banana and some Ovaltine!

If you would like to read some of those journal articles that I found, do let me know.  I actually enjoyed the intellectual challenge! Reminded me of my uni days in the 80s.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, there, Gertychin!  Your reply wasn't directed to me, but I really would enjoy reading those articles.  Your response was the best information I've seen on this site. All my gastroenterologist offered was cholestyramine, immodium and condolences!  Thanks! xx

• Posted

Hello Lynda20916,

Here are some of the articles that I have been reading - some are just abstracts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17298762

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23052498

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3025137

Actually, I found lots of interesting books on Amazon and I was able to look at some pages and the bibliographies etc. Just type in search words like liver, gallstones etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3025137

Most current research: http://www.easl.eu/medias/cpg/Prevention-diagnosis-and-treatment-of-gallstones/English-report.pdf

Happy reading!  Let me know when you are ready for more.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed one link as it was to a specific book. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hello lynda20916,

I sent you several articles (links) but they are being moderated, apparently. I do hope you get to see them eventually.

• Posted

Thanks so much!  I hope I do get to see them soon.  My gastro guy is one of those doctors that thinks whatever he reads is true and whatever I read is fiction.  Don't get me wrong, he's very kind; but I need someone to listen to me!  That's why I love this site!  xx

• Posted

Well the information is mainly from medical journals so he should be familiar with the articles.
    • Posted

You are welcome. I would have sent you a list of book titles but haven't worked out how to send private messages and I am not allowed to list them here.  Sorry.

• Posted

Thanks for this great info Gertychin!  Unfortunately my body doesn't handle carbs well right now due to Blood Sugar issues. I have had fruit other than a few berries for years.  I do love Okra though and just picked some from my yard! I love it in soups, also sauted, never breaded. There are so many health benefit from okra!  

I found a new doc, a DO, will see him on the 5th and surgeon on 7th. No July 4th picnic for me, I'll stay home and eat yogurt. LOL

• Posted

Best wishes for next week. I hope the new doctor can diagnose and treat your problem so that you can start going out again and be pain-free.  Try and have a good weekend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.