It burns when I walk

Posted , 7 users are following.

It has been 6 weeks. June 23 I broke my fibula, dislocatedthe tibia and severed the ligaments playing roller derby in a tournament. I have been  feeling pretty good with barely any pain meds. I don’t wear my air cast much as my dr. told me to keep it off as much as possible and to flex my foot back and forth, which I do. I went to the beach today and after much struggling and laughter, managed to get me and my rubber dingy in the water. Once out far enough. I got in and walked with the dingy, which felt amazing and no pain at all. Later this evening I tried walking with my crutches because I have read everywhere that the bone is healed at 6weeks and people can start walking with about 25% of their body weight, but holy! My ankle is sore now (burning, aching and throbbing) and i have burning feeling right up my leg to my inner thigh. Is this right? Is this supposed to happen? My 6-7 week appointment is 4 days from now. I think I might have jumped the gun with my excitement. I don’t remember it feeling like this the last time I broke my other ankle. Has anyone had similar experience when they first started walking again?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Nichole. Wow I don't think it supposed to burn like that!! I think you overdid it a little bit!!! If I was you I would do what the doctor told you to do!! I broke the same thing on June 10th and got my second cast off today August 6th I got a air boot on. And I'll talk to Dr if I could start doing physical therapy on my own he said heck no it's still too early!!You don't want to reinjure it he told me if I were to injured again I would've been screwed!!! He said your x-rays look excellent is healing like it's supposed to be. I told him I was going to put a little pressure on my foot you said don't do it he said next month we be putting some pressure on it but I've been Googling it about doing home physical therapy and he said you can do that but just don't over do it.!! He wants me to have this air boot on at all times even sleeping but how can I do my own home therapy if I can't take this freaking airboot off. Do this one therapy I found put your foot on the bed will you big toe write out the alphabet with your big toe do it 3 times. Do that like twice a day but your body knows if you're overdoing it. I do construction too and he told me we better wait after the 4th month which is the end of October and man I'm ready to go back to work I'm so freaking bored.!! But after I read your experience would you went through I'll take them all keep my air boot on.!!! Hey let me know when you go back to your doctor see what the X-ray says I'm pretty sure you didn't do nothing bad but just take care of yourself I know you said you broke your other ankle but just stay off it okay and you take care God bless and it cannot get worse!!! J.C😀😁

• Posted

It’s just so frustrating! Lol I’ll let you know how it goes! Best of luck on your pt!!
    • Posted

Yeah I know it's so frustrating!! Just hang in there and do what the doctor tells you to do!!!!!!!!. And Thanks!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.