It's been 7 days since my Lapidus procedure surgery and still have pain.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Of what I am reading of everybody else's pain experience with this bunion surgery , I should not still have to be taking pain killers.  Anybody else out there that has had this procedure surgery done, have had a hard time healing?  Would love to hear of how many days it took them to be pain free after having this surgery.  I keep my foot elavated at all times.  I try to ice but it doesn't go through the cast that I have on the foot at this time.  I see my doctor Sept. 2nd. I think he will be putting my foot in something different then.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I took pain meds for about a week and then tapered off them mostly because they made me sick. I still took them occasionally, mostly at night so I could sleep.  I transitioned away from the narcotics to ibuprofen.  I wouldn't be concerned, everyone is different.  Just keep elevating above your heart and follow the doctor's guidelines.  I've just passed the six month mark and have been playing golf and jogging since month 3 (golf) and month 4 (jogging).  It takes an entire year for the bones, tendons and nerves to heal.  Be patient, it's going to get better.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your response back Lynn!!  I am trying t transition away from the pain med (Norco) , it makes me sick too.  Instead of taking a half of a pill every  2 hours , I am taking a half every 4 hours instead.  But can't seem to go over 4 hours , before intense pain starts.  I am trying to suppliment with Aleve to eventually just be taking that instead, but not working yet.  Great to hear that you were out playing golf after 3 months and jogging at 4 months.  Did you have the Lapidus procedure?
    • Posted

Hi Lovelady. I was lucky enough to be off pain killers on the 3rd day but I am recovering really well though. But it's normal to be off and on with some people. We all recover diff and depends on the procedure. I had casts. I am 7wks post op and been walking as soon as the casts were off and doing ROM exercises. 

With the ice? Try putting that under your knees... They say it works. Good luck and if you are on FB I joined 'I survived a bunionectomy' lots of support there. Wish you all the best and patience xx

• Posted

I have heard something about putting ice under the knee?  Never heard of that before.  So is it suppose to help with the swelling in the foot?
    • Posted

And thank you on the I survived the bunionectomy facebook page.  I just joined it.  smile
    • Posted

I never tried it as I live in Tassie...bit cold here atm but yes they say it does. You can ask on the FB site that question. Very informative on there....you will enjoy and glad you have joined. See you there smile
    • Posted

Tansmania?    That is south of Australia right?  I would have thought that is a hot climate. 
    • Posted

Yes, I had both feet done at the same time because I didn't want to face two rehabilitations.  Bunions on both feet were removed and the tendons on two toes on the left foot and one toe on the right we're adjusted to help straighten them.  The bunions healed quickly, but the toes are still stiff.
    • Posted

Tasmania. Down south The little island below Australia smile
    • Posted

Tasmania!   Never been there!  Thought it would be a hot climate.
  • Posted

I had bunions done and three toes shortened. I am now 9 days post op and still taking my painkillers. I was told by the physio that day 10 would be a bit of a turning point so look forward to that. I am keeping my foot elevated all the time except for visits to the bathroom and up to bed etc. I am not in great pain until i get up and all the blood rushes back into the foot. It is then very sore for a couple of minutes. Once i get the foot back up it goes away. The stitches seem to be catching today which is very annoying. I have a post op appt on monday which will have been 2 weeks and i am looking forward to getting my stitches out then and seeing what my foot looks like. 

If i were you i would just keep taking the pills for a while yet and hopefully you will feel better soon. 

• Posted

Thank you Michelle for your response back.  Great to hear about the 10 day turning point to look forward to.  I like your advise on just keep taking the pills for a while longer.  Tried to see how long I could go without taking a pain pill and in the 5 th hour of not taking one, man I had the worst burning pain through my foot that almost make me faint.  I a whimp too when it comes to pain .
    • Posted

I totally agree, recovery from these surgeries is very individual and only you will know when you're ready to cut back on the pain killers. In fact, I found a combination of a muscle relaxant and pain killers was best for me. ( and that is "put" not "out" the ice pack under your knee.rolleyes

• Posted

At 7 days I was taking pain killers at night still. In fact it's a bit if a roller coaster as it heals. To ice your foot in a cast out the ice pack under your knee.
  • Posted

Oh poor you, that is awful for you.I was lucky to have little paibn post surgery on both feet. However, it was emphasied that absolute rest with feet up is imperative. So I literally stayed onto on my bed with feet on a pillow for 2 weeks and hobbled to the bathroom which ws only a short distance away. I was sent home with tramado etc but only took paraceamol for a couple of days. I din't have casts on either, just lots of padding & strapping. Guess it depends on where you go. (I live in Devon). I think you should ring the hosptial and let them know sooner rather than later.
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for your response back.  The way I understand bunion surgery , is there are different procedures.  The Lapidus procedure is the worst of the bunion surgeries.  It is for severe deformities and takes the longest to heal.
    • Posted

yes, you are correct. I was warned to take things slowly and it was about 3 months after the op that I managed to buy some very, very wide soft footwear to walk in and even then I took a walking stick just to be on the safeside. It will get better, honestly. You will look back and think to yourself , 'That wasn't so bad and I have straight feet'.
    • Posted

Thank you Hilly!  I was so embarassed of my ugly foot too.
    • Posted

HI, do you know what, my feet have been shocking since my early 20's and my dream has been to wear sandals. Every outfit has been governed by how I can hide my awful feet and it's surpising how these deformaties affect every day life. So needless to say, I have lived in trousers which cover feet quite well. I wish I had had the courage to have the op earlier in my life but I simply do not like pain (hence only having 1 child!). Silly old me! You will be fine, and try not to read the doom and gloom on some of the forums as there are 1000's of folk whose ops turned out well.
    • Posted

Thank you Hilly!!!!!   I really needed to hear that this morning.  You have lifted me up!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.