It's been 7 days since my Lapidus procedure surgery and still have pain.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Of what I am reading of everybody else's pain experience with this bunion surgery , I should not still have to be taking pain killers.  Anybody else out there that has had this procedure surgery done, have had a hard time healing?  Would love to hear of how many days it took them to be pain free after having this surgery.  I keep my foot elavated at all times.  I try to ice but it doesn't go through the cast that I have on the foot at this time.  I see my doctor Sept. 2nd. I think he will be putting my foot in something different then.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

By the way, I'm now 4 weeks out and although I have had many days, and nights With no need for any meds, I'm now back to taking a pain killer at bedtime since the doctor took off my dressing and the swelling is the current thing I have the worst problem with even though I had no problem with swelling the first three weeks. So see? Individual healing.
    • Posted

Hi, the swelling can continue for quite a few weeks post op. The key is to put your feet up as much as possible. If not during the day then certainly in the evenings and don't do too much even when you think you can as you pay the price.
  • Posted

I was on pain pills for 6 days, then I wanted to have a drink so stopped taking them. I am almost 12 weeks out, and still have pain in the bottom of my big toe. Anything is possible with this operation, as I have heard.  Some people have an easy time.  For me, it has been torture....terrible sciatica in good leg, sprain in operated foot, pain everywhere and tons of swelling.  I've just come back from a cruise, and I was fine in Fit Flops, which I highly recommend.  they feel better on me than sneakers.  I would never have my other bunion done.
    • Posted

I am on day 11 from a Lapidus Procedure.  Over the last 5 days , I have noticed that the pain has not subsided at all.  Stil on pain meds.  Your testimony Joyce is exactly what I am afraid of.  Ugh.   Did your doctor explain to you why you would have a sprained ankle on your operated foot?  Or did you sprain it after the cast was taken off?
    • Posted

Oh, dear lovelady, I kicked open a porch door because I had my lunch in my hand....very stupid.  Praise god, the sprain is gone. I was wearing sneakers when I kicked open the door on my non-bunion side of the foot.
    • Posted

No, reckless.  Wasn't thinking.  Just do what the doc says.  Your foot has to get used to walking again, and there are all sorts of new feelings and pressure points, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Best wishes.

• Posted

I am in UK - will have a Metatarsal cuneiform joint fusion (Lapidus), along with second and third hammer toe correction - on 15th July - if i don't back out.  I will be 70 in July always hated my feet.  Thankfully no pain but nearly reduced to Crocs all the time.

So I was wondering how you were doing now?

Would be good to know progress if your surgery was similar to mine.

• Posted

I am now day 13. Stopped taking my strong painkillers that I got from the hospital on day 10. I have had to take a few paracetamol today though as have been quite sore today where I assume the actual incisions have been made in my foot. It is a bit like the stitches are tightening and a bit of throbbing at the base of my toes. Not agony just a bit annoying and uncomfortable. 

Going to get stitches out tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what is going on under my bandages. 

• Posted

I have the same problem with the stitches on where my bunion was, it is rubbing in my cast and it is sore, it feels like it is swollen where the stitches are.  I go in this Tuesday to get them out.  I to am looking forward to seeing what is going on under there too.  Please let us know how it goes .
    • Posted

Make sure to let us know how it turned out with the stitches removal! Nosy minds and all you know. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.