It's done...today

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, had my 1st TKR today between 12 and 2pm (now 8.30pm... Been awake all day but only just got my iPad). I'm so buzzed to have finally had it, I was so worried it would get cancelled for some reason.

The op was so cool! I was wide awake and felt absolutely everything, even the opening scalpel cut. Zero pain of course (that wouldn't have been cool) but all touch senses still worked. And could hear senior surgeon instructing his junior so I new everything that was going on. Anyone else experienced that?

My leg aches a little bit, despite the pain meds, but not enough to dampen my spirits so far.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow, impressive! I asked to be put out. Watched a video of TKR surgery afterward and found it fascinating, but I don't think I am brave enough to be awake/aware when I am the one having my knee done.

Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery!

• Posted

WHAT??? YOU WERE AWAKE? ??..that's crazy my doc said

absolutely no way and I wanted to see everything too but I'm just nosy that way. I'm so jelly (jealous ). How could you handle the sawing and pounding I guess deep down I'm happy was out.

Make sure you start on the heel slides as long as your staples

hold and start the walk it will really help you. It may be painful

but that's what meds are for.

I go in on Friday for my mua to release my left knee.

Congratulations also you may hate your doc for the next 12 wks at least that's what he told me...

• Posted

Has the physio been yet? A necessary evil
    • Posted

Saw her briefly. Got nearly straight and got 90 degrees sitting. Then got up on a walker to do standing exercises and had a vasovagal response which ended my session. Frustrating as the exercises were going fine.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear this. What happened? Did you faint?  Take care

Jean

• Posted

No, I got back lying down before that. But I'm just now sitting in a chair having walked round the bed with no dizziness so feeling much better, thanks.
    • Posted

Could be the medication causing some dizziness . Be careful. Jean
    • Posted

90 degrees sitting already? I am so envious, but happy for you that it seems you may not have as rough a go as I have. Good for you!
    • Posted

2debz13

Wow you got 90 degrees on your first day. I couldn't get 90% on day 4 when I was discharged. Do you realise how encouraging your flexion is already. Use this as motivation for the weeks ahead. I'm 3 1/2 weeks left PO and Physio last week said I was approx 110% flexion. I'm trying to push my knee a tiny bit more each day but the vice-like band of stiffness and pain when I stretch it just doesn't get any easier. However, I'm more worried about the fact that I can't see a similar improvement in my extension. My knee just doesn't seem to respond. I'm pressing my knee (quads) down whilst pad is under my ankle and counting to ten, and I do this throughout the day. Don't know what more I can do. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Its going well but dont push it and youll be going great guns. Plenty of rest plenty of ice. A tight band is normal because the muscles have been pulled around. Dont go beyond the physios instructions and youll be up & running  (dont try the running as its one thing you cant do) 
  • Posted

Thanks all for the encouraging comments. I do realise that I have been enormously lucky. Less than 48 hours after the op I have washed and dressed myself, been up and down stairs and been signed off by the physio. Having read a lot of the stories here I know a lot of you had it a lot harder.

i definitely think the lack of sedation helped. Not sleeping at all during the day of the op meant I could start a few gentle knee slides straight after the op, before it had started to swell.

the only thing I hate is getting on and off the bed which is hellishly painful during and  for about 45 minutes after, especially if I have been asleep and it's gotten stiff. The physio assures me that I am not doing any damage though, and it is getting slightly better.

• Posted

Hi Saz

The muwscle gets stretched when lying down, at least that is what OOhysio told me about the meniscal tear because I notied thhe pain from that increased when lying down. Need to check specifically with ohysio  as to the reason why your knee/leg gets painful for 45 mins etc, etc. It sounds normal but it is interesting to find out the reasons then as you know it is understandable and not scary. Best to find out before you leave hospital as well.

Take care

Jean

• Posted

My reply is waiting to be moderated. I do not know why. In the meantime please ask the physio to give as much explanation as possible. It is best to get an explanation before leaving hospital. Jean
    • Posted

A lot of people mention a 'leg lifter' to avoid pain when getting out of and into bed.  never had one, but it sounds like a good idea!  
    • Posted

saz2020

I also found lifting my leg in and out of bed gruelling, but a simple tip is to use the belt from a robe/dressing gown and hook it under your foot and then lift........it worked great for me. Even a belt would work too

• Posted

The leg lifter was an enormous help! Sometimes they have me use it in PT to increase my bend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.