It's done...today

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, had my 1st TKR today between 12 and 2pm (now 8.30pm... Been awake all day but only just got my iPad). I'm so buzzed to have finally had it, I was so worried it would get cancelled for some reason.

The op was so cool! I was wide awake and felt absolutely everything, even the opening scalpel cut. Zero pain of course (that wouldn't have been cool) but all touch senses still worked. And could hear senior surgeon instructing his junior so I new everything that was going on. Anyone else experienced that?

My leg aches a little bit, despite the pain meds, but not enough to dampen my spirits so far.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Tonight I am mostly being driven absolutely, undeniably and as completely insane as a massive box of frogs by my plastic wound dressing that is sooooo ludicrously HOT and ITCHY... 😬😖😋 aarghhhhh!...
    • Posted

I mean I do appreciate that its a great pice of medical technology, a wound dressing that completely seals the wound for a fortnight until it's no longer at risk of infection... It's just that I want to find its inventor and slowly roast his feet over an open fire... 😑
    • Posted

Is there any signs of infection? If so ring your dr and get the nurse to take he dressing downand inspect the wound. However you can look at the area surrounding the dressing without removing it .

Whats your temperature  and pulse rate?

?

• Posted

No the wound looks fine and I feel fine. The dressing is like a foam honeycomb structure with a huge sticky clear plastic over the top that seals everything like a giant plaster. 

I can can see through the honeycomb structure that everything looks fine and it's not the wound that itches... It's the sticky plastic where it's stuck to my skin. It just gets really hot under there because it's plastic.

i'm not worried about it, just frustrated that it's already driving me nuts and I have another 10 days before it can be removed! Plus I rang my local practice, as I was instructed to, to organise having it removed along with the staples and it turns out I should have been given a tool for having them removed because the practice doesn't have one... Anyone else come across that one? Now trying to find a relevant hospital number to track down the right tool (I only have the number for admissions who only deal with, well admitting people...). 

Hopeless!

• Posted

Saz2020

I had my L TKR 4 wks ago today, at a private hospital, and was given a 'going home bag' which included pain meds and a tool to remove staples. I took this to my GP practice nurse on day 14 and felt no pain on removal. Surely you can ring the relevant hospital to request they send you the appropriate tool. Your GP may already have such a piece of equipment as they've surely removed staples before.

• Posted

Is the hospital local to you?]Are you in the UK/ Can you google the tel no.What amad situation. Perhaps they can substitute the ?cheapo itchy wound dressing for a non allergenic as well?

Are you allergic to latex?

• Posted

I wonder f Saz is allergic to latex it is in a lot of rubber products. Did the hospital ask her I wonder?
    • Posted

Is the plastic latex? Did the hospital ask you if you are allergic to latex?
    • Posted

The staple removers are in all surgeries They are a common piece of equipment. The RGN for this area came & removed the staples and do a would check at home on day 14
    • Posted

No North East England. Ive bee a n RGN for 50 yrs & this was my 1st experience of post op care and I was pleasantly surprised. Surgery was at Nuffield Newcastle
    • Posted

Why oh why is it so different in every area!  I had the dressing removed every day, and replaced . . after having it doused in a bright yellow antiseptic liquid. . . then a waterproof dressing applied, and I could go in the shower!  I think I preferred the way my hospital did it. . .it's just strange that there isn't a little more conformity in the way they do these things!  And how strange that they don't have the tool for removing staples!  perhaps it's because they don't have sterilising facilities, so it would have to be disposable??  even so, seems a bit strange!
    • Posted

They can discharge patients earllier with these DIY kits.

Bums off beds philosophy.

• Posted

You my simply be allergic to the adhesive not necessarily the

latex ..

• Posted

THIS dressing should be removed as soon as possible and substituted with a non allergenic one..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.