It’s official!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies!  Just came back from my new obgyn.  I have finally been heard.  Yes, indeed I am in perimenopause.  Estrogen deficient for sure!  It is looking as if I need to be on a combo BCP.  It is a 90 day regiment, basically a period 3-4 x per year.  She is just contacting my cardiologist because of some prior heart testing, but that should all be fine!  I went back afterwards and saw perimenopause listed as a diagnosis...I cried a little 😊

For my dizzy friends... I am going to try (again) lower dose amitripyline 10mg.  The thought is if the migraines can be controlled and I get more sleep...hopefully the vertigo will lessen.  Apparently, he wants me to try vestibular physical therapy too.  It does appear to be associated with either the migraines or the BPV...in any event it is upsetting my inner ear ( vestibular system).  I am going to give that and the BCP 3 months.  If my vertigo is not solved...making an appointment in our major city to see a nuerotologist and get proper balance testing done...spinning chairs, etc.  

You will all be proud of me...it is raining like crazy here...I drove in terrible downpours and didn’t have a meltdown!  Today...good day...check 😉

6 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so happy to hear you have the diagnosis and a plan to hopefully feel better! Woohoo! And driving home in the pouring rain!! A very good day indeed! 

• Posted

So glad you had a good day.  Nice to be taken seriously and for it not to be labelled as anxiety

Please keep us all posted with how you get on.  As you know I am in the mini pill which I think has helped a little. I do wonder if a combo pill would be better. 

Good luck with it all xx

• Posted

Hi Louise, This dr suggested the combo for me because she said the mini pill would do nothing my symptoms.  I had tried the mini for 2 months back in March.  I was severely depressed, crying alot. I mentioned that to her and she said that definitely happens to some women.  Some of us need that steady flow of both estrogen and progesterone.    I asked about creams...she did not think it was going to be a long term solution for me.  I am having bad symptoms at 41 and she thinks the creams do not work well long term...in case I have another 10 years to go!
  • Posted

whoops!  Neurontorologist.  That’s a mouthful!
  • Posted

Thanks Audra!  Fingers and toes crossed!  Just a little relief is all I ask 😀

• Posted

That’s great Lou . So glad you have an answer . I had the constant dizziness too it will subside eventually unless it’s vertigo which came for me about every 3 months and lasted a few weeks . 

And yes I’ve driven to appts nervous exhausted but just knew I had to get there ! 

• Posted

thanks Lori!  I did ask “the question”.  How long does this s**t last.  Answer: Some have a rough time even after periods stop...then HRT is recommended.  Sorry Lori...she wasn’t very specific 😂😂😂😂

• Posted

Hey Lou

So happy you were heard, and so well-done to you for driving! Onwards and upwards for you now ♥

• Posted

Lou - I am so happy that you found a new doctor - wonderful! How validating...even though you did say you felt a little tearful when seeing the peri diagnoses. I am feeling confident that you are going to start feeling better on the new combo pill! smile 

Any chance you can PM me with the brand name you are going to try? My doctor actually asked if I wanted to try the BCP first to see how I would do...I'm going to be 50 in November so that recommendation seemed a bit surprising given my age vs just starting the BHRT to begin with. HUGS! 

• Posted

Hey Finny... I can’t figure out how to message... anyways!  It’s seasonale or seasonique... but probably generic...I am picking it up tomorrow. It is a 91 day regiment. Extended cycle.  Basically, 84 days straight hormones...then 7 for withdrawal bleed.  I will start hopefully this Sunday.  My period should be due any minute.  This is a new one for me the other one I was on for 20 years was orthotricyclen.  But, that was a higher dose combo.  It is to my understanding that if you are still menstrating, non smoking, healthy, no family history of cancer...you can stay on BCP until you are in menopause.  It was nice to cry tears of relief while I was driving home today,  so sick of thinking I was cuckoo!  I hope something gives here...would be nice to feel little normal.  Give the BCP a try...it really cannot hurt.  If they don’t agree with you, there are hundreds of other brands.  Are you still on the progesterone cream?  Is it doing anything?    🤗

• Posted

Hi Lou

Was wondering how you are getting along with the amitriptyline? 

Xx

• Posted

Hi Louise!  I haven’t started it yet...I am such a chicken about side effects...I swear I think I am going to die in my sleep or something!  Also, waiting on my period to come so I can start the birth control.  Figures, it’s been coming every 21 days.  On day 26...not yet!  I was thinking of cutting the pill and just doing 5mg... I need to stop my nonsense and take it really.  My vertigo is bad.  Made an appointment to see a neurotologist in the city...who specializes in vertigo...and get balance testing done.  The appointment is a couple months out, so I am hoping I can guage if the pills are helping.  Of course... I need to be taking them!  How are you doing on mini pill?  😊

• Posted

Hello

I am really sensitive to medication. I am still trying to start on citalopram-only made it to 2.5mg at the moment. I have found amitriptyline totally different to the ssri’s, maybe it’s  because I was taking it for headaches and didn’t realise it was an antidepressant. Get a pill cutter and just try the 5mg to start with. Although for me it hasn’t stopped the dizziness it has certainly reduced headaches and I sleep so well. So many ladies complain they cant sleep on here. 

The mini pill isn’t going too well. The main reason I was giving it was to reduce/stop the bleeding. I now seem to have a never ending period. However, before taking it, I used to feel like the ground was moving - that has now stopped so must be hormones. May look to move to the combined pill. 

Good luck xx

• Posted

Did you stop the amitripyline and go right to citalopram?  I tapered off and officially stopped Lexapro 9 days ago.  Apparently I am ok to start the amitripyline.  The other should be out if my system...I hope!  haven’t had any weird stuff happen!  I think I will just do the 5mg tonight just to get the fear thing over with.  

Definitely give the combo a try...the mini pill is always the first go to as it carries less risk. But, some of us really need the estrogen.  I was a crying mess on the mini pill.  I will update you on the combo pill once my period finally comes and I can take it! 😊

• Posted

Hi Lou 

I’ve had vertigo on and off for ten years they just give you mezclinine a drug that knocks you out ! So the only cure really is the Epley manouver ... you should have them show your significant other ( if you have one ) how to do it . I’m single now so I try to do it myself . The purpose is to get he crystals back in their place . Sometimes it works sometimes not . 

• Posted

Morning

I am taking amitriptyline and citalopram together. The amitriptyline is purely for headaches as such a low dose. The citalopram is for anxiety as the doctors keep telling me that’s why I am off balanced.  

XX

• Posted

Hello!  Ok, gotcha!  I took 5 mg of amitripyline last night.  I woke up, so that’s good news. I just do not know about the anxiety theory. In my case, I have been having this problem for about a year.  Really bad since Dec...stopped working.  Even my dr agreed that if anxiety were my issue... after 3 months Lexapro would have made a difference.  I get very fatigued too, I read on the website of the Eye/Ear hospital where I am seeing the neurontologist at...fatigue, depression, anxiety along with balance issues are symptoms of a vestibular issue.  You can also get viruses in your inner ear.  Basically, vestibular system becomes overworked trying to compensate for overactive signals.  If you are in the UK...the Royal eye/hospital has some good info too.  I am in the US.    In any event, I hope the med combo brings you some relief.  My plan is to keep going with amitripyline to control migraines and sleep better and start my combo BCP.  Still going to get balance testing. Please keep me up to date...I will do the same!  🤗

• Posted

Hi Lori!  OMG! Meclizine...I took 1 (12.5mg) a couple of weeks ago...knocked me on my ass!  It was prescribed back in May up to 3x per day as needed...no way!   I have had the Epley done before for the BPV...honestly did not help. Somethings going on with me... I wonder too how right after a bad sinus infection last Dec, the vertigo got worse.  Also, had strep a couple of times in the last 3 months.  Of course hormones started the ball rolling with the migraines. I feel like She-lock Holmes...bad joke! 🤪

• Posted

Hi Again...how long did you take amitripyline 5mg before going to 10?  I was thinking a week...I am foggy headed now, not exhausted though (took 5mg last night)  🤔

• Posted

I started on the 10mg and I think I was really tired for about a week, certainly no longer. When I increased to the 15mg I had no issues at all.  Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.