Itching Unbearable

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi. I am new to this site and looking for help. I was diagnosed with LS just a few months ago and have had it since April and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I am so discouraged. I have been reading a lot of discussions and most talk about managing pain but my main problem is unbearable itching. This can lead to pain if I scratch too much but otherwise I don't have the pain. I started out on the clob for 6 weeks, per Dr. then was supposed to switch to a week a month. Clob worked well for the 6 weeks but LS itching came back with a vengeance 5 days after stopping it. Tried using it again and it made everything worse. My dr has no other suggestions except clob but I am telling you it makes me itch so bad after one use now that it takes days to recover. I've had moderate relief with using tea tree oil and lavender oil and some various other things but the itching has flared up so bad at night I can't sleep. Just looking for some advice on the itching. This is such a depressing disease!! Thanks.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

"I also know there is a dietary component for me but haven't gotten that part figured out yet"

From your description, I would say you need to take drastic action immediately! Most women with LS do get relief from the creams you are being prescribed, however as it appears this isn't working for you, you need to analyse and review your diet.  

Not everyone has to reconsider their diet, however unfortunately, many women most definitely do.  You should start, by removing as much sugar from your diet as possible (remember we don't need extra sugar, as sugar is already in so many things that we eat anyway) and give this a try first. 

This means no sweets, cakes, deserts etc and stick with it rigidly. Sugar is actually one of the worse things for Lichen Sclerosus, however if after a couple of weeks or so, you are not having any relief, then you should try another approach (but don't go back to consuming sugar again) like going Gluten free, again if there is no relief there than I would suggest then removing Dairy products from your diet.   

When women such as yourself are in such pain and discomfort, as you have described in relation to your current condition, it always surprises me, that they will try many different things, however will not change their diet, which quite often, and actually more often than not, can either be the sole cause, or a major contributor to their flare- ups.

• Posted

That's great, glad you have found this to work for you, although I am not surprised, even after three days, because as I said, for some women, unfortunately, the key to regaining some modicum of comfort from their LS symptoms is to look closely at their diet, unfortunately, it is not a popular suggestion.....
    • Posted

So I was tested by my dr for gluten sensitivity and she found that I wasn't. Does that even matter???
    • Posted

More often than not Sugar is the primary cause of flare-ups in my opinion.  But for some, Sugar and Gluten cause problems, and for the unlucky few, Sugar, Gluten and Dairy.  It is a process of elimination, which is why I suggested eliminating Sugar first.   Testing for Gluten intolerance (a FULL blood panel test) has to be done whilst eating foods containing Gluten, but it is not a conclusive test, as sometimes the results can be falsely positive, and vica versa, and so the  preferred diagnosis is through biopsy of the small intestine via endoscopy.
  • Posted

Hi, I know how you feel, I find if you can keep the area as dry as you can eg after urianating, bathing etc,a small dusting of talcum powder seems to help, and prevent the itching, hope this helps
  • Posted

I found the ointment worked for me when the cream did not. Clobetasol/Dermovate that is. I hope you can work out what works for you. Definately diet is a contributor. I also found aloe vera gel helped to calm the itch along with an anti-histamine. There are several types on the market so try various ones till you find one that works for you. Cetrizine hydrochloride, loretidine, and chlorohydride pheneramine. or something, anyway look at all the meds on the pharmacy shelf there are many different types which all work for different things. cetrizine hydrochloride is considered good for reduing inflamation and may be the one you should try first. There are many makers of this. hppf ;ivl/
    • Posted

Sorry don't know where the last letters came from x

• Posted

I would have never thought of taking an antihistamine. I'll have to try that. I did get and take some Benadryl and took some last night along with doing a sitz bath before bed and I actually slept well for the first time in weeks! I am also cutting sugar out of my diet first as suggested by a few people on this site. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions!
    • Posted

If you took Benedryl, then you did take an antihistamine! 😊 
  • Posted

Kimmiesue, glad that the benydrl worked for you along with the sitz bath.  I remember as I walked out of the gynea's office..the nurse told me to keep the area dry.  I use cornstarch for that...as I've said before.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

A big, bad scenario for me is sweat! Twice now I've been in a situation that I was really sweating. (This weekend again and I'm still fighting to get on top of my skin's angry protest!) When I'm home I tend to quickly go shower the area off and can avert the reaction but it's more difficult when gone. I need to learn to use my little bottle of spray in those cases. (Water; many use baking soda solution in a small spray bottle)

Body fluids need to be kept off the skin as much as possible. I spray off my lower regions after lunch generally and apply some soothing oil or cream. Also I apply an oil or Vaseline or emuaid after many but not all bathroom visits.

And, good for you to limit sugar. It's really worth it. I also cheated in that too much recently and combined with the sweat I'm paying for it. Add a bit of stress to that mix yet, and it can produce an LS storm!

• Posted

You might consider an oral antihistamine like benedryl. I take it at night sometimes if I  have a flare up.  It's not a cure but does suppress our autoimmune response by blocking histamine production in our bodies. The histamine is what makes you itchy.

• Posted

At least here in Canada, you can get cheap generic chlorpheniramine pills (Benadryl) from behind the counter. You don't need a prescription – you just have to ask for it. Benaryl is quite expensive. I took it every night for years while my psoriasis drove me crazy with itching. My GP  told me it would be safe to take nightly forever.
    • Posted

We do have a generic version in the US that is not very expensive. It is working pretty decently. Good to know what your Dr said about taking it every night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.