Itchy legs

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am new here. Currently in stage 4 kidney failure. The bottom of my legs are so itchy and keeping me awake at night!!! Anyone else suffering?? X

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.  Sorry to hear of your current medical status.  What you are experiencing is called uraemic pruritus.  The kidneys (or kidney, do not know if both or yours are failing, or if you just have a solitary kidney) remove toxins and assist in metabolism.  As they decline our body accumulates toxins and also affects the way your body does not  properly metabolize calcium and phosphorus.  Cure?  none.  Things that can are suggested to make it feel better are applying capsaicin or camphor oil before go to bed (or even during the day).  Do a google on uraemic pruritis.  Good luck.  Welcome to the community.  This is a good place to share your concerns, experiences and ask questions.  Are you nearing dialysis?  I hope it is far away.
    • Posted

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for the insight. I will definarely Google it. My auto immune system has caused both kidneys to fail. Luckily I am not at the dialysis stage.... I am dreading it!!

Thanks again

• Posted

Karen,

I'm not at dialysis yet either but know it's coming. I'm thankful not to be there yet. However, when the time comes I'm going to try PD dialysis first. I'm certainly hoping it will work for me. Have you decided which you'll try yet?

Marj

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I get this itch mostly around my trunk but also on my arms and legs sometimes.  It can become unbearable and is worse if you scratch it.  I have found that regular antihistamine helps but the best thing is to use a good moisturiser as with CKD the skin gets dehydrated. Some doctors prescribe Gabapentin but I have been reluctant to take this.  I have CKD stage 4, too.

• Posted

Hi Lyn,

Thankfully itchiness is just on my lower legs. When it very bad I can't even wear trousers. It is very annoying!!!

Good luck

Karen

• Posted

I've had a little trouble with itchy skin too over the past few months. I find that if I take an antihistamine it will help some with this. For me, the itchy skin hasn't been daily yet; it's been pretty infrequent. As it increases in frequency I'll need to talk with my nephrologist about it (or my internist) for some suggestions. But at this point, the antihistamine seems to be taking care of it.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I don't have the itchiness daily thankfully. I'm not sure what makes it flare up and unbearable.

Karen

• Posted

Hello, Karen. I can sympathise, my friend -- I am at stage 5 and, I think, pretty close to the end of my life, and the very worst part of it is this incessant itching!

I decided to go for conservative care rather than transplant/dialysis but I am beginning to wonder if that was the wiser choice; it's probably too late now as my GFR is less than 6.

I have tried menthol-based ointments with little success and have recently been prescribed DualBase Gel, which seems to help a little.

I have asked my GP about gabapentin and pregabalin but he hasn't prescribed either for me; I shall have to contact my nephrologist tomorrow to see if he can help. I have heard that Aloe Vera can be quite effective, but I haven't actually tried it.

My very best wishes to you -- God bless and keep you.

• Posted

Bert,

I'm not sure it's ever too late to start dialysis. So if you're considering it you could talk with your doctors to see.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Bert,

Thank you for your reply. The itching is the worst!!!! I was prescribed some type of piriton for itching. Unfortunately, when it does flare up.... Nothing helps.

I do hope you do ask about dialysis. I am sure it is not too late.

Take special care

Karen x

• Posted

Hey Karen,

Are you on any medication at the moment? If so, what is it? I’ve had total kidney failure (CKD V with Egfr of about 8) since 2012 and have suffered terrible itchyness all over, but that was due to the anti rejection meds (tacrolimus) that I have to take for the liver transplant. I have had a new kidney 9 weeks ago so my tacrolimus was upped, but the itching has improved. Weird!! 

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I am currently on lasarton and vitamin D tablets. I do hope you are feeling better after your transplant.

Karen

• Posted

I have the same...only recently though and just use a light film of Sudocream which helps. I have Stage 3a CKD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.