Itchy legs

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am new here. Currently in stage 4 kidney failure. The bottom of my legs are so itchy and keeping me awake at night!!! Anyone else suffering?? X

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I should have mentioned that I sometimes have to take an antihistamine for seasonal allergies. I've noticed that when I do any itching I am feeling due to my decreased kidney function decreased or goes away entirely. I rarely take the antihistamine--but my nephrologist and primary care physician have both said it was safe for me to take a dose of Claritin as needed. (I usually use saline nasal rinse for my allergies as I know it is totally safe for my kidneys; but occasionally it isn't sufficient. Then I will use regular Claritin for a day or two.

Marj

• Posted

Karen,

I have had auto immune diseases all my life but that doesn't mean that what works for me will work for you. I have struggled with pruritis for MANY years but during the past year when it flared up I found that my feet and the bottom of my legs itched like crazy. I can take some bad pain but the itching was harder for me to handle. My Dr put me on 1.2 mg of vit D2 once a week, 500mg hit C, and 400iu of vit E twice a day after my last visit.   I think it was the vit D that made the difference. maybe the combination, I am no Dr so I can't say. But I do know that I no longer have itching. I would check with your nephrologists before taking ANYTHING, especially since you have an autoimmune disease. I am stage 4 egfr 22.

• Posted

Hi Fran

I take Vitamin D daily which doesn't really help the itching. I am not sure what makes it flare up. Momentarily I am itch free.

Karen

• Posted

You may have too much phosphorus in your body. Get Sevelamer Carbonate tablets to relieve the itching. Take them with any protein,, beef,, chicken, pork or fish. Also take them when you eat any milk products like milk, cheese, cocoa, chocolate candy. You take them when you drink beer or other alcohol or wine

By doing this, it may reduce your itching.

Otherwise, you may need a moisture lotion, wet your legs before applying. I use a lotion that ends with the letters--phil. It was recommended by my diabetes nurse. This site does not allow any product name,but I assume you can find other lotions that may help.

If you have access to a diabetic doctor, they can recommend a lotion to use.

Also a antihistamine, can reduce itching and there are over the counter,items than also help. You can ask any pharmacy technician, what can stop itching. They will gladly direct you to a product.

Sevelamer Carbonate is a generic. product but there are also brand names for the same thing. My insurance stopped supplying me with the brand name but I found out it didn't matter.

Hope you will take my advice.

I was in the last stages of kidney failure, so I know what I am talking about.

I am currently on dialysis, mainly because I have 2 genetic kidney diseases. Minimal Change Disease and FSGS focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.

Unable to get a kidney transplant. due to a circulation problem. I had an amputation on my left leg due to lost of circulation in my toes. On my right foot, I lost circulation in my toes, so they were removed, too.

Most kidney patients may not have a genetic kidney disorder.

I hope you take my advice It may. be only a suggestio, but it could help with your itching. Good luck

• Posted

Hi John,

Thanks so much for you message. I am so sorry, you have had it very tough. I moisturise alot and do take antihistamine when the itching is very bad. I am in stage 4, I pray every day it doesn't get worse, but it is inevitable. Good luck John, I wish you wel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.