itchy roof of mouth

Posted , 34 users are following.

I get an awful itch on the top of my mouth near the back...i find myslef subconsciously itching this day and night. It does get better with half ever tablets sometimes but comes back and it comes at all.times of the year... does anyone.else get this? I'm. Worried it might over time cause me problems with bacteria/cells etc in my mouth. Doctors don't seem to.have any idea!

Thanks

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hmmm. I have similar symptoms when I'm around cats (I'm allergic) or even when I in the vicinity of them. Does the problem persist when you change location from where it started bothering you? If so, you might be allergic to something nearby. Good luck and hope you figure out what's bothering you!
  • Posted

This is definitely an allergic symptom. You might be allergic to something in your house or something that you eat all the time. If you take an anti-histamine does that make it go away? This is a good test to see if it is allergy related. If it goes away after taking (about 20-30 minutes) your histamines are reacting to something. You are allergic to something. If it doesn't then i'm with your doctors, who knows!!

It is also not uncommon to develop allergies later in life. I have been allergy free all of my life until last year. I got the same symptom after eating strawberries, something I have been eating and loving all of my life!! Good Luck!!

• Posted

Thanks guys smile I guess I just have to b really strict in trying too figure out what could b allergic too or Strict on taking the allergy tabs! Think am just allergic to air lol!!
  • Posted

It could be related to your diet. Look up Oral Allergy Syndrome. I have itchy mouth when I eat apples, almonds, or am around cats. It's like hives in your mouth so allergy meds should help. 
    • Posted

Ooh thank u AlexChristi that could make sense.. I'll look it up smile
  • Posted

I suffer with the same problem and i was referred to a dental hospital where they diagnosised a nervous system problem they gave me medication Gabapentin it helped and i took them until the itching stopped but i have noticed when i get stressed it starts again.

• Posted

I have similar issue. Itching on mouth roof leads to ulcer and doesnt heal. Allegra M tablet works but as soon as I stop it itching comes back. I tried homeopathic medication but again it helps only till I am on medicines. I stop taking medicine itching comes back. Itching leads to sneezing and runny nose as well. Its been happebing from last 6-8 years now. Doctor suggested to burn the roof top with laser treatment.
  • Posted

Some folks who suffer from hayfever (allergy to pollen in Spring) may also have short term mouth reactions to certain "raw" fruits, vegetables, or nuts because the proteins are similar to those on the pollen. Those proteins usually breakdown quickly after ingestion because of body heat, so the symptoms go away quickly. Its referred to as OAS or oral allergy syndrome. Diagnosis is straightforward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

• Posted

Get a blood test for skin mites and dust mites. Request all common allergies to your surroundings on your blood test
  • Posted

I have this problem at the moment too, my dad thinks it might be thrush. My mouth and tongue itch horribly and my tongue has a slight white coating does yours? I moved away to hull and thought maybe it was allergies, but I've come back to my mums house and it still starts up just from breathing. I can be outside or in a shop or in my mums house it doesn't matter where I am, whether I've eaten or haven't or been drinking water or not. Nothing really sets it off, or everything does.
  • Posted

Pay attention in school, kiddo! Your grammar and spelling are in need of attention. Good luck with the itchy allergies. I hope that you have found relief.
    • Posted

Is there really any need for the idiotic rudeness?? It's pretty obvious to anyone reading the above that it's an autocorrect issue and not a grammar issue! Even if it was a grammar issue though- what's the big deal? Absolutely cannot tolerate rude and ignorant grammar police and their constant need to belittle others!

• Posted

Hi

I get exactly the same all the time! I even make noises with the back of my throat to try and get rid of it. The insides of both ears itch as well so I put my fingers in my ears and make a noise to try and stop it then trying to itch the back of my mouth is a nightmare!!! Thought it was only me that did that.

If you ever find out how to get rid of it let me know

Pamela

• Posted

As I read your post, I could see myself in the middle of the night.

Now, I can tell it's not allergy: I've ate double a strong doze of antihistamines a few hours before going to  bed, and I still found myself with that hellish itching. Clean bed sheets, new pillow, antihistamines... nothing worked, yet. What have you tried?

• Posted

Hi, im 40 years old and i have same issue like you. I make noise with the back of my throat almost every night while sleeping. it only happens at night. I have this since im very young. My concern is that the noise im making is so loud that people in the house could hear it worse probably person who sleep in the same room might not get her good night sleep. The noise can be scary too for those who do not know about my problems at night. I make this noise without realising it like when i wake up i could not recall that i make noise that night. It mean it cannot be control. At times when i woke up i was in middle of making the noise i could feel my throat so itchy and irritates. My nose felt blocked and itch too as well as my ears.

I have seen a doctor one time when i was young that i could not describe well doctor just comments i have snoring problem after which i never follow up for any kind of treatment. This still always an issue for me whenever i go for vacation with friends.

I wonder is this a kind of sinus. Please help

• Posted

am also a victim of this and all measures at curbing it proved abortive. a drug called  artifec could actually reduce it but it doesnt go away completely untill you continue with it. this is quite embarrasing
    • Posted

Hi pamela,

I too have the same problem. I appreciate if you guide me how to get rid of this if you have cured this ailment.

Regards,

Md

• Posted

Hello Safiyyah,

Could you please help me here! I am having the same problem since my childhood.i am now 23 yrs but the problem has not leave me yet. The scenario you described resembles my situation. Everyone who sleeps with me got horrified when i started making noise. This is really problematic issue as i can't sleep alone for whole of my life.

Please guide me with medicines if you have cured it properly.

Regards, 

Md

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.