iTind Procedure

Posted , 16 users are following.

Had the itind procedure today. More painful than promised. At least so far. I'll keep posting.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Edited

How large was the prostate size for your iTind procedure?

• Posted

Hi Rob,

How are you doing now? Where did you have the procedure done. Not sure if I'm a candidate for it, but does sound much less invasive than most other procedures.

Rich

• Posted

Hi Rich,

It's day 5 now, it has gotten much easier to tolerate. Still a small amount of blood in the urine, but that is to be accepted. (The first 2 days were HELL.) I will have the device removed on Wednesday.

But, the urine 'stream' has increased 100% already. I hope it continues after the device is removed. 30 minutes is about as long as I can make it without needing to urinate. But I DO empty the bladder every time.

I had the procedure done @ Santa Monica Urology, a UCLA Health facility. Santa Monica, California. There were 2 representatives from the manufacturer present during the procedure. Quite a party. I was the third recipient from this doctor.

I have MANY suggestions/ tips if you're thinking of going through it. Quite a few that the doctor didn't tell me... and the info is very limited on-line.

Ask me anything, I hope I can help.

-RobM

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that it's starting to ease up. I'm beginning to think that it won't be a suitable procedure for me as I have a large medium lobe impinging on the bladder. I need to review the report from my recent MRI, and then get a consult with a doctor who does iTind to see if it might work for me. Not sure which doctor yet. If It is a suitable procedure for me, I will certainly take you up on your offer of tips/suggestions. Thanks!

Rich

• Posted

I see. Interesting, my doctor could not guarantee that I was suitable for the procedure until the 'scope' was inserted. He knew the size of the prostate, but could not tell if I had the 'lobe' until the camera was in. At that time, he told me I was ok'd for the procedure, and proceeded.

I have a friend who has the 'euro-lift' now. He's had it for 12 months and seems to be satisfied with it.

Keep i touch

-Rob M

• Posted

I've had a recent MRI that might be enough info for a doc to determine whether it might work for me. I did some research. There are only two doctors in NYS that the company lists as doing the procedure. I called both. One is not taking new patients, and the other doesn't do telemedicine appointments. His office is a three hour drive from me. Doesn't really work for me to spend at least a day traveling just to find out if I'm a suitable patient for the procedure. I'll need to find a doc that does the procedure that will do a telemedicine consult. Getting the sense right now that this will be a dead end for me.

The urolift sounds too invasive for me, and I've read on the forum of guys who've had trouble with it... they have had to have the clips removed.

I had a PAE 5 years ago. Got some benefit, but symptoms have returned somewhat. Not sure if a second one is the way to go.

Rich

• Posted

A second PAE did nothing for me. The first I did get some benefit from, but only moderate improvement and that mostly was gone in 6-8 months.

I am having Aquablation soon, it seems like the best of the procedures to me.

• Edited

Do you know how large your prostate is? And if you have a large medium lobe?

Good luck with the Aquablation. Let us know how it goes.

Rich

• Posted

Rich, my prostate is smaller, only 28-30cc. But i have obstructive tissue that is pushing into the bladder and acting as a median lobe. So its not prostate size, but obstruction that causes my issue.

Thanks for the good thoughts, and I will start a new thread to update when I get it done in February.

• Posted

I am 1 week 'post' removal of the ITIND. Only today have I stopped moderate bleeding while urinating. The difficulty has NOT subsided, maybe worsened. Doctor says this might need a few weeks for swelling to subside. The SAD story here.... the Doc had 2 other ITIND patients on the same day. Both of those patients are doing exceptionally well, with strong urine streams. Depressing so far.

Did you consider 'REZUUM'?

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having. I haven't considered the more invasive procedures as my symptoms are not extreme. I've heard too many stories about the poor and/or difficult outcomes with them. So first time around I went for PAE. ITIND sounded somewhat less invasive, but doesn't look for now like it will work for me. I'll need to find a US doc who does ITIND and does telemedicine consults to really see if I am a suitable candidate.

• Posted

I'm unfamiliar with 'PAE'. I'll have to 'look that up'. What does it stand for?

In a month or so, if symptoms don't improve, I might think about 'Rezuum.' (I've probably misspelled that.)

Where are you located? I was able to meet one of the top representatives for the 'Itind', might be able to help with a list of Doctors.

• Posted

PAE is Prostate Artery Embolization. Putting small plastic (I think) beads in some of the arteries feeding the prostate to reduce blood flow and hopefully shrink the prostate. Done through an small incision in the groin or the wrist. Minimally invasive and minimal potential side effects, but I don't think able to be targeted to a specific area of the prostate. I had it done by Doctor Sandeep Bagla in VA about 5 years ago. He was and probably still is one of the most experienced doctors doing this procedure in the US. Also a great doc and staff. Experience is super important, because you don't want to have an incorrect artery embolized, and have an unintended organ (such as the bladder) affected.

I am located about 100 miles north of New York City in the Catskill Mountains. Thanks so much for your kind offer! I did get a find-a-doc tool from Itind, but there seem to be very few docs in NYS or CT or MA. I contacted the only 2 in NY City. One wasn't taking new patients, and the other would not do a telemedicine consult. Unfortunately, the find-a-doc tool doesn't show whether the doc does telemedicine appts.

• Posted

Thanks Rich, it doesn't sound like PAE is an option for me. I wish I could tell you that my ITIND procedure was a complete success, but unfortunately my symptoms are about the same as before the procedure. I am going to give it the 6 weeks before I make any decisions. I am 64 years old and still 'sexually active'... I will say that the ITIND didn't cause any difficulties in that area.

Today I am going to speak with my Urologist. I want to see if I should continue with the 'Flomax' to help ease the pressure. Taking more prescription medication is what I was hoping to avoid! Good luck, I'll keep you posted. -RobM

• Edited

I would definitely give it at least 4-6 weeks. No matter the procedure, having stuff shoved up through the urethra causes trauma. Definitely consider continuing Flomax for a while.

Even though I'm having Aquablation, after it's over I'm still going to continue with Flomax for couple weeks. The last thing I want is some swelling or clot to jam me up and not be able to pee. So if taking Flomax for a couple weeks even gives me a little better chance of avoiding that, I'm definitely doing it!

• Posted

bcb1, when is your Aquablation procedure going to happen and where?

Im post 3 months with the Aquablation and am interested in your results. Mine have been positive, especially since I was in total retention before.

• Posted

Feb 23, Sentara Hospital in Woodbridge, VA . Hoping for an easy recovery, but preparing myself for a rough couple weeks. Some guys have a very easy time, some don't so we will see.

• Posted

Try to convince your doctor that the pain pills usually suggested are tylenol or Advil.

These do NOTHING for the pain you are going to experience when peeing.

You'll need hydrocodone/acetaminophen, and get enough for a week.

Doctors really don't want to prescribe this because of all the past problems with the pharmacy's ..Percocet is not good enough.

Also ask about the possibilities of bladder spasms and medication for it...This is part of the pain in the initial start to peeing.

Keep the questions coming.

• Posted

I am on day three now and would appreciate any advice you can give me. This hurts like hell and I am having a harder time peeing than I was before having it put in which btw hurt like hell. I wonder if this doc is good at it. He really pushed for urolift but I said I wanted to try this instead. It is sooo painful to try to pee. Like razor blades. How bad was taking it out? They wont give me any pain meds.

• Posted

every time I pee which is all night long and small amounts it just hurts like crazy and burns so bad I feel like I am going to pass out. I wonder if something is really wrong. Most of the day I sit in a hot tub and just pee when it starts coming out and it hurts like holy hell.

• Posted

first day after device was removed (in hospital due to excruciating pain) I had severe searing burning pain with urination and very diminished flow not being able to go without pushing pretty hard I imagine due to swelling. Also I insisted on pain meds - hydrocodone which they reluctantly gave me. I made sure I kept drinking water though it killed to pee it out. By second day I was so exhausted from over a week and a half of severe pain and constant day and night feeling like I got to go that I slept for almost 24 hrs straight which I had not done in over a year. The stinging pain while urinating was much less after the second day and the flow was/is better but not great like they advertise. Hoping things will keep inproving.

• Posted

Hi Rob

You said the first two days were hell so what they say that there is only moderate to no pain involved during the 7 days period is not true. Is there very much pain when we pee? Is this pain controlled by pain medicine?What pain medications are given and how effective are they? I am GERD patient so allergic to most pain medications so I am worried if this procedure possible without the pain medicine? Is the pain while we pee tolerable with or without medicine ? I am willing to do the procedure but very much upset how do I handle that pain.Thanks

Don

• Posted

Hi Hope you have now managed your pain.Did you not take any pain medicine? In fact is this pain manageable with medicine? If yes what medicine is used and how effective is that? I am a GERD patient allergic to most pain medicines so do you think it is possible to do this procedure without pain medicine? If at all I am taking the medicine then what medicine controls the pain? How long do we need to take it?

Thanks

Don

• Posted

What are your tips on making this bearable? Less than 24 hours in and I need it out.

• Posted

When did you have the iTind procedure? Has it helped? Do your need to get up less frequently during the night to pee?

Many thanks for any answers that you can provide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.