its a long n bumpy road - 15wks run-down..... but it CAN lead to a brighter place!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

Update at wk 15ish. If you've not read my posts before I started getting ill august last yr with dark mood n constant nausea for months and rapid weight loss. Dr said down to anxiety as had happened briefly yr before when I was going through very stressful time. That time I took citalopram for about five months with no side effects felt back to normal after 3-4wks when nausea stopped. Stopped meds around 5 months feeling 100%.

This time went on cit, 8 wks did not improve nausea and still low mood plus was sleeping 3-4 days a week all day as well as night, wiped me out totally. Dr changed me to flu and instantly got more energy but lots of side effects (insomnia, nights sweats, jaw clenching, shakes, etc). The nausea didnt ease til around 6wks after anti sickness pills, propanalol and acupuncture.

Meantime dr started ball rolling on numerous tests to see if underlying cause for nausea. Things continued to improve physically but wk 9-10 slipped back to feeling very low being very tearful. May have been stress of xmas or ongoing medical tests weighing me down (had every scan, camera and physical exam going I think within 6 wks!).

Dr agreed 2-3wks ago my mood should be better (blubbing in her surgery for no real reason). Decided to try upping dose rather than weaning off n changing again. Started 30mg just over 2wks ago (alternate 20/40).

So how's it going? Quite often now I forget the illness, wake up thinking about normal things - thats the best way to describe it. Ive found myself singing along with the radio and teasing the kids plus ive been so much more chatty with friends and at work. Energy is great despite waking just after 5am and ive even been out with a friend for my first two short runs!(well run stagger walk - ive always despised running!).in essence Ive felt like myself despite insomnia occasional night sweats n jaw clenching!

Cant say for def if just timing, upping the dose, relief of medical results being not bad news or what but for now im enjoying being in that sunny place :-)

You need the patience of a saint to get through this which is not easy when you feel crap but there can be light at the end of the tunnel. The meds help though tyou have to make the effort too BUT the way I feel now it was all worth it- long may it last!

Im not daft enough to think thats it, im expecting bad days to throw me at times but will remain grateful for all the good days til then.

Hope this helps people who are just starting or part way through the fluox journey. I dint think id have persevered with the information and advice from this forum, thank you to all the lovely people who have given words if sympathy and support throughout. :-)

Here's hoping you all reach that brighter place soon.

Best wishes

Vix x

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In the beginning did your anxiety get worse also?how long did the side effects last?
    • Posted

Nicole tbh its a rough road but some do well. Took me 8weeks to feel normal but I was bad when I started them and bad on increasing dose. It feels like for ever but if ur ill and need them u have to power on xx
    • Posted

I took them once before and was back to myself in 3 weeks. This time I just want to lay and cry. I don't know why this is happening to me and I'm scared I'll never get my life back. I just want to be happy again sad
    • Posted

It seems to bad second time round for a lot of people if already been on any SSRI. I feel like a totally nut case tbh but iv felt like it before and it passed so I'll just hold on to hope. How long has it been? I was bad for awhile and now increase I'm a anxious crying dizzy person that's not me sad struggling
    • Posted

ive been on paxil 8 weeks and was feeling better now for 3 days worse. I was suppose to switch to Prozac because I can't become pregnant on Paxil and your supposedly can take Prozac while pregnant.
    • Posted

I felt better on Paxil after couple weeks and started a birth control and the third day on it I started going back down hill so I stopped them Friday so I'm hoping it will stop now.
    • Posted

I took prozac from 32weeks pregnant it sorted me out but baby is now 7weeks and all my body changes must of stopped the effect and now iv pnd as I did with my son sad I darnt go back on the pill whilst anxious as the pill can cause anxiety.
    • Posted

Not many doctors will give u prozec till after 12weeks of pregnancy the more developed the baby the safer it is. I hated taking it while pregnant, my baby had mild breathing issues maybe from that (she's fine now) xxx
    • Posted

20mg from 30,weeks. As my body chemicals changed though they stopped working hence increase. I feel so ill now sad
  • Posted

I'm just starting on flu for extreme anxiety. I never took meds before and my anxious state makes you think the worst about everything or what may or may not happen. Your story is so helpful for me to hear so that I give the meds a chance because I so desperately want to be myself again.
    • Posted

You may need the patience of a saint but so dont expect too much too quickly cos the disappointment can hold you back.

However you can and will get there, little by little some setbacks on the way.

Hope everyone on here can join me in that "sunny place" soon♡

Vix

• Posted

Thank u so much for posting this! I am only day 5 and am having a hard time with this medicine. Trying very hard to keep a positive outlook on this whole process is hard when I feel worse than when I walked into the doctors office in the first place.
    • Posted

Hows it going? Hope its started to get easier for you. Im still doing really well, arranged trips away , a holiday and generally excited about future.

Still waking up at silly oclock but not tired during day so thats ok by me :-)

Take care

Vix

• Posted

I'm just on second week. I'm trying not to listen to my thoughts and hoping for the best.
    • Posted

Hi Vix,

So glad to hear u are feeling great! Me not so much .... After only 5 days on flu I couldn't cope. After two trips to the hospital since Friday I am now off flouexitine and taking lorazepam to try and calm down. Insane dizziness , pounding heart, shaking. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow but have missed work and am terrified to drive. Doctor at the er says I've either had a bad reaction to the drug or it has just caused a server underlying anxiety issue to surface. I'm thinking a bit of both. Right now researching therapists and confirming what coverage I have through work to pay for it. The whole reason I started this process was because of a vertigo issue I have been dealing with for 6 years ... Now it just feels like I'm going crazy. Lorazepam is helping but makes me sooooo tired. I slept almost all day yesterday ... Which I definitely needed. Today going to try driving my husband into work. We will see how that goes. Taking it one day at a time ... And working on relaxation. And also cleaning my house ... A lot! ;-)

All the best!

Shan

• Posted

Hi shan

That sounds awful! Hope its easing for you now? Its hard to know sometimes whats part of depression/anxiety and whats side effects but we all know our own bodies best. I guess im lucky that although it took a change of meds and a long time ive finally got there. Im sure you'll find something to help but may take a while.

I hope you find something soon. Im guessing youre in US? Ive just started counselling but although ive had to wait a while I do get it free. Second session in a few weeks.

Take care and good luck with the driving.

Vix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.