Its what I was DRINKING!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 67 y/o woman in ecellent health except for my diagnosis of Lichen Planus. I  am also a Registered Nurse. I had LP for 4 months before I was biopsied. In the week I had to wait for my biopsy results I educated myself on this disease, I immediately opted for alternative therapies vs western meds. Unbelievably after keeping a food journal for just 2 days I had ALL my trggers.. I was almost everything I was drinking. OJ, mineral water, and red wine )the WORST) This makes such good sense. Solid foods are absorbed in the small intestine over a period of time. Alchohol and sugars in driinks or chemicals like aspergane all hit your blood stream immediatley. I went on a two week corse of prednisone which illiminated my initial breakout ; I only drink black coffee and water . I tested this theory twice (had a cocktail) and IMMIEDIATELY had LP sx. I caught it early. Two days on prenisone cleared it up.

Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone else..

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have LP in 57 and noticed I got this the same time has I had an abnormal smear have you ever had a problem with smear test
  • Posted

Hi Daisy,

Very interesting

How did you know these things were your triggers after 2-days please?

• Posted

I kept a log of when I itched and what I had eaten and drank before the itching started.. I always itched first thing in the AM and in the eve. What I drank was consisitant (my food wasn't) After the ID I went on plain water and in 2 days the itching stopped. I was a mess both legs, arms and shoulders. I stay on a low glycemic diet as well. I would suggest limiting your diet to a protein, a veg and water for a few days and slowly introduce other foods. Keep a journal. Good luck
  • Posted

This certainly doesn't apply to me.  I don't drink alcohol, fruit juice or mineral water. 
  • Posted

Hi,

i do drink wine, but this doesn't seem to correspond with my itch much. But if I have dairy... I know about the itch! Everyone is different 😊

• Posted

I am so jealous. I missed having a glass of wine with dinner so much that for mother's day I told my daughter to buy me a bottle of Napa valley Cab, a pizza and a cream puff. I ate EVERTHING and drank the whole bottle (After not having a drink for 5 months) I woke up with my face literally deformed I had a hive the size of Wisconsin on my forehead! Thank heaven I had a couple of days of Prednisone left over from my initial script!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear. I love my wine and haven't yet felt the need to reduce as when I cut the dairy and reduced the gluten it really helped me. Maybe the dairy and gluten in the pizza and puff were the cause? Have to admit I rarely eat pasta, bread, potato and rice and when I do I have a mild itch next day. Maybe try a glass when you can restrict all other dietary potential triggers?
    • Posted

Hi Samantha,

No I have proven to myself its the red wine. I eat pizza and dairy only occasionally w/o any reaction. As soon as i drink I have symptoms but so far alchohol is the only sure trigger I have and if I don't drink I am OK  I pretty much just drink black coffe and water becuase I had some SX when I was first diagnosed to OJ and diet soda.

• Edited

I have experienced loss of my nails and deterioration for the past 3 years.  I have consulted with my MD, a dermatolgist, and a naturapathic doctor. as well as a pediatrist.  Only to day after, expensive laser treatments, countless varnishes, oral medications and foot soaking have I finally been advised that I may have lichen planus.  All my nails on my feet and hands have been affected with this infection.  I am at my wits end trying to get rid of this ugly condition.  Also my hands are especially sensitive when I do certain things..(ie. digging for my keys in my purse..ouch).  What would you suggest?
    • Edited

Carolyn, No one know why LP starts or how to treat it. If you count on the medical community to help you they are lost as well. Take responsibility of your own manangment, It is your body. You have your diagnosis,...there are usually triggers that produce symptoms. Start with a daily journal of what you eat and drink, your activities. Try the Paleo diet and try to identify the foods or drinks or whatever you are putting in your body that causes symptoms. Above all be logical. You are the only person , not your doctors that will identify what your triggers are. Mine is alchohol...if I don't drink it, I don't have symptoms.. Don't give up, relax and have faith. Let me know how you progress.....you have my good energy with you. Take care
    • Posted

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.  I have been attending countless doctors and spent thousands trying to erradicate this ugly nail situation.  Lasers, ointments, varnishes and hours of time.  In the end you are so right, all the professionals seem dumb founded.  

My daughter is presently undergoing a treatment with a functional medical doctor for hyperthyroidism and a Paleo diet is her new regime.  So now it is my turn.  

Red wine causes me to sneeze and stuff up,...so that alone says something. 

So now it is time to get serious and proactive to solve my dilemna.

Thanks for your concern and positive suggestions.

Carolyn

• Posted

Your welcome. Try to stay away from drugs if you can, Coconut oil or teatree oil might be soothing . Try on one hand first and compare the results on the other. The one drug that did eliminate my initial rash was Prednisone BUT I knew what my triggers were when I started so when I finished I was in control avoiding alchohol. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.
    • Posted

I am on a mission to pinpoint my triggers.  I have eliminated red wine already.

How long were you on Prednisone.  It has so many side effects.

• Posted

Carolyn, I was initially diagnosed in Jan of this year after 4 months of SX. The rash started on my leg than spred to my other leg arms and shoulders. It took a week for the biopsy to get back and in that week thru journalong found my triggers. I asked for the Prednisone. My Dr. wanted to put me on antimalarial therapy. They gave me 3 weeks of therapy,I only took it for 2 becuase it totally illiminated my Sx. However, I was successful in controlling the LP after therapy becuase I knew my triggers and was also on the Paleo diet but it got rid of the terrible breakout I had.
    • Posted

So your LP was on your skin not your nails!  My husband and I had a dental practice where we occassionally saw oral LP.  The Prednisone treatment frightens me a bit. 

Carolyn

• Posted

Carolyn

The prednisone completely cleared up my SX but I knew my triggers so when I went off i was OK. If you discover your triggers you may want to try it. It is a proven med for immune reactions.If you don't know your triggers as soon as you stop you will have a relapse.  I also had a (after testing whether I could drin or not) after 4months an outbreak in my mouth. I took one 20mgm pill of prednisone and it compelety cleared it. My pharmacist told me not to consern myself with any Prednisone therapy that lasts less than 5 days. It took two weeks for my first course becuase I had 4 months of SX to clear up.

• Posted

I require a prescription for prednisone, which my doctor will not

write.  So I am going to do an elimation Paleao diet to try and find my triggers.  My naturapath is also going to do food sensitivity tests.

Wish me luck.

Carolyn 

• Posted

Carolyn, You are doing the most logical and safe thing. Its what I did first but I have to say the Prednisone saved me from horrible damage to my skin and now with my mini outbreaks ,one day of therapy clears me up.

Good luck....don't forget to journal!

• Posted

Hi Carolyn

I have LP oral and skin, do you know what caused yours mine seemed to come around the same time I had abnormal cells after a smear test, I can't have alcohol really triggers it and give me a banging head I'm suck if worrying about thus and cancer terrifies me

• Posted

As a dental hygienist oral LP was often seen in our practice.  It certainly can be very painful.  So far I have not experienced either oral or skin LP.  Apparently the LP infection in the nails is a genetic thing.  
    • Posted

I had two oral lesions one on my tongue(painful) one inside of my upper lip(not painful) Both were iliminated in one day with 30 mgm of Prednisone ...instant magic!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.